Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 05:26 AM   #1

Light over dining table

We have a 2000 DSDP. Has anyone ever had the light above the dining table go bad? I started smelling a burnt smell, removed the light and one of the connections was melted. Electric of any kind and me are not friends. Any idea what would cause this? The light is the type with 5 of the small push in bulbs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 06:46 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Those type of lights generate considerable heat. Heat and electricity are not friends. I would simply clean up the burnt wiring and reinstall. It is only 12V and there probably no power past the switch in the off position anyway. Or buy a new fixture. The sockets are available, possibly from your local Lowes store.
JLDHELMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:40 AM   #3

I have never liked this fixture from day one but also have not come across anything decent to replace it. One simple fix is to replace all the bulbs with LED's which generate much less heat.
I would be interested to hear what others have done with it.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:53 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Absolutely if you keep fixture, change to LED bulbs! Energy and heat efficient.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Light over dining table

Ramets, I have the same fixture. Uses 1076 bulbs and they generate lots of heat. Why did it go bad? Because it was a cheap unit to start with, and it's 15 years old.

However, I never use the fixture. Previous owner removed the dinette and installed a desk unit, so I use the overhead recessed lights which I've converted to LED. Also, the damn thing is a head banger. I haven't run into anything I like to replace it, so when I get around to it I'll probably take it out.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:22 AM   #6

So you think the reason for the wire connector melting was because of heat, and not some sort of short? I'm reluctant to just rewire it and use LED's until I'm convinced it isn't something besides heat. Since the light is no longer available I did find a different make with the same diameter, so I might try that. Any other thoughts??
Old 12-30-2015, 05:33 AM   #7

If any of the connections get corroded or loose, the added resistance will cause heat. More heat can cause a worse connection, and the vicious circle just keeps going till it fries a plug or light socket. Check at the point of the most damage, that's where your problem most likely is. I'd look for another fixture with less lamps, preferably LED or able to accept LED lamps and make sure all connections are clean and tight.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:00 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put in LED.......(5 bulbs).......big difference in regards to the heat given off and I installed the "warm-glow" type LEDs, which do not give off the harsh light some LEDs produce.

This year I will change out the bulbs in the wall sconces and overhead recessed lighting.

Happy New Year everyone!

g
Old 12-31-2015, 04:13 AM   #9

I'm going to just replace the light that I found with the same diameter, and it uses LED's. I think the original which is 15yrs. old has served it's purpose. Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Spartan Chassis
I am going to replace mine with this from Amazon. Then hinge the cabinet door so I can use it....
vonkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonkamp View Post
I am going to replace mine with this from Amazon. Then hinge the cabinet door so I can use it....

Looks good, but after 15yrs. there's a discoloration where my old light had been. I had to find a 12" light to cover it.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:49 PM   #12

Where did you purchase the LED replacement
1dutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dutchstar View Post
Where did you purchase the LED replacement

I found it at www.rvupgrades.com It's on the 1st page of indoor lighting.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Those bulbs run hot and draw a fairly large amount of current (like 2 amps) for the contact area,, The least bit of tarnish/corrosion or dirt and what happened happens.. Suggest LED replacement as the solution. SUPERBRIGHT LED's.. Eco-Leds and many others have replacements for them that are decent.. Warning, Many more are not.

Side note: Hung a wall fixture for a friend earlier this week.. Was a single bare bulb, not twin light fixture looks much better.. Picked up an LED lamp (120 volt 60 watt equivlent 10.5 watts actual) for half off at a local store (less than six bucks) this lamp has a 13 year plus anticipated life at 3 hours a day 5 years warranty and when we fired up the fixture. Was a dang good match for the 60 watt that went into the other side of the fixture.. I was impressed.. It's a GE lamp.

Tags
light