Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Light weight toolboxes?

Has anyone found a source for aluminum or other light weight toolboxes with drawers to fit in motorhome storage areas? I've been looking for a 24-26-inch wide, 12-inch deep toolbox with drawers to fit into the back driver-side compartment on our Ventana LE 3436.

The steel units weigh upwards of 100# with nothing in them. I hate to add that much extra weight just for tool storage. Something in the 50# or less weight range would be preferable. The unit can be up to about 36" tall.

What are others using for this purpose? Inquiring minds are curious.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jim,

Just last week I went over to Sears and purchased one for the same reason with ball bearing drawers. In my area they were on sale. I like it because it feels heavy duty yet it is light and has pull our drawers for enough storage.

Just the black box is what I purchased Craftsman.com.

Hope this helps
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This is the one I've carried for 11 years. It holds everything I've ever needed and weighs 30 pounds empty. It's a 26' wide unit.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:26 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
This is the one I use also...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool box.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	120398  
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:27 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
What are others using for this purpose? Inquiring minds are curious.
TJ
I was not going to comment, but then another idea can sometimes be useful. So my two cents, I use an action packer to store a small craftsman tool box with my extra filters and fluids for coach. In addition, I bought a commercial grade tool bag (size would fit a circular saw) that has pockets all around the outside for tools like screwdrivers, pliers and the like. (stored under my wind setting computer, next to my peg board compartment) In the bag, I store the gorilla tape, electrical tape, and plumbing tape and other tools I seem to use often. Anyway, I just grab my tool bag and in most cases it saves me time from running back to a tool box or action packer. I will admit though, if I was full time, I would still have the tool bag, but then I would consider the larger tool box, which I am able to keep in the garage at home. I also take advantage of my peg board compartment and also store my larger tools and many products I use the most like: lubricants, wash & wax, window cleaner and the like.

True answer is what fits your needs the best.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I have the Dewalt Tstak system. You can mix and match units, and then they can be latched together or separated. I have the Two-drawer base, and the Long Handle top unit. Fairly light, but very sturdy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 drawer.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	120410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Long handle.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	120411  

WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Thanks, WYRon, I hadn't seen those before. That may be what I'm looking for. I'll check them out. I presume one of the big-box hardware outfits would carry them; maybe even one of the local hardware stores.

One of the issues I have encountered with the Craftsman and similar tool chests (which would otherwise probably be my first choice) is that when the lid is opened, it adds an inch or two to the overall depth. The space I want to utilize for tool storage is just 12-1/4" deep. Thus a 12" tool chest needs at least 13" of space for the lid to open. Just too tight.

As for tool bags, I've just never liked them. Not exactly sure why, but I have 2-3 of them in the shop and they never get used.

Thanks, folks, I appreciate all the feedback.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #8

In my case I need to be able to move tools from my garage to the motorhome so one of those tool boxes is way too big and heavy (when full of tools). So I use individual containers. One has all my screwdrivers and pliers, one has all my wrenches, another has socket sets etc. I can also find places to store them that do not take up a whole storage bay. Just my 2 cents.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Light weight toolboxes?

I bought a plastic 3 drawer unit from Northern Tools. Seems like it was about $35 or so. Its probably 22" wife and 8" deep. Works for me.
It's lightweight and holds my assortment of tools.

jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
This is my main box. It is lightweight plastic and is included in a 188 PC (I think) Sears mechanics tool kit. I also carry a larger box from Home Depot for breaker bars, large pipe wrench, adjustable wrenches etc and large parts, clamps, filter wrenches , fuses, electrical testers and such.
Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1457122610.297439.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  58.1 KB
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, weight