Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 03:47 PM   #43

I bought my ut1300's because I wanted Lithium, not because I needed them. FLA will get the job done for sure but the Lithium are just way way kewler!
dustydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 03:58 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Missing from the discussion so far is integrating lithium into a lead acid system. Not all converters, monitors and changeover equipment can properly charge and manage the different operating parameters of lithium. So when contemplating a lithium exchange one has to consider the possible replacement and reconfiguration of some of the support equipment.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Mark, thanks for posting this. I too am researching using lithium batteries in our coach and increasing the solar capacity. I had seen the different charging profiles on the solar chargers. With our coach being a 2001 I would probably have to update everything. I think with the cost of just the batteries alone being what they are I can supply my Onan 2 cylinder genset a lot of hours of fuel by just increasing my capacity with additional FLA or AGM batteries.

All I have to decide now is if I am going to use 4 GC2, Multiple 31DC, or another combo like 2 4d batteries, and if I am going with AGM or FLA? I am currently leaning towards AGM.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:04 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustydave View Post
I bought my ut1300's because I wanted Lithium, not because I needed them. FLA will get the job done for sure but the Lithium are just way way kewler!

They may be way cooler but I just can't justify the initial costs.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:10 PM   #46

AMh

The more current you pull the less AMh a FLA battery has to give. The only way to get even half of the rated AMh of a FLA is if you are only running a few lights. Our fridge runs on the inverter and I have 3-4 more run time on a lithium 100 AMh vs the 200 AMh FLA. I could not dry camp without lithium.
Tskadberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #47

We did it. As much as will fit.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:56 PM   #48

I've been involved in many hobbies where you just HAVE TO have the most up-to-date, cool stuff, no matter the cost/benefit. For many, off-grid solar has become one of those hobbies.

Newbies with solar or battery questions really need to attempt to discern the motivations and resources behind advice. If you're just looking to keep basic trailer/RV functions running for longer without hookups, and you don't want to spend bigbux, I don't know that I'd jump into Lithium batteries.

But they are cool.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:57 PM   #49

Option from Newmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Did you ask Newmar about installing a LiFePO4 system instead of FLA when they build it? Enough things are different that it might be better to build it from scratch rather than changing what's already installed.
I thought Newmar was now offering LiFePo coach batteries now. That would be the way to go on a new coach.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:15 PM   #50

2003, we installed our bank of Concorde LifeLine 105ah AGMs (tag-line -- "Virgin Lead!").
We rarely exceed a couple-three percent draw.
Nearly two decades full-time live-aboard, and they still 'cut the mustard'.
An added benefit for my 'hands-on' need to fiddle with stuff -- our parts are entirely visible throughout our system.
We are reserved about new-fangled technology.
We think we will hold-off judging LiFePo4 until the industry matures.
Plus, by reducing our electric use, we automatically reduce our need for a bigger bank... with the attendant complexities of inter-connected components and their mystery innerds.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I replaced the 8 SLA batteries as soon as I took delivery of my 2020 Ventana 4369 with 6 Battleborn 100AH LiFePo4 batteries. I had purchased these for my previous coach - 2016 Tiffin Open Road 36LA, and moved them to the new coach. I sold the batteries that came in the coach on Craigslist for about 50% of market value.

I don't need to get in to the "why did you", "you don't need to", "SLA/AGM are just fine" debate. Don't care about the cost - I did it, and I couldn't be happier with the result. It's done, it's great and it works.

I built a rack in the first basement compartment on the passenger side to house the 6 Li batteries, and cabled them back to the original battery compartment on the driver side. They're in a semi-temperature controlled environment and have worked beautifully for the past 2 years. We don't go into winter environments, so I don't worry about the cold weather issues. Our coach is all electric, but I need propane for a grille and firepit, so I now use the old battery compartment to store my 2 20# propane cylinders, since that compartment is separated from the rest of the basement and vents to the outside.

I also installed 800W of solar panels on the roof, with a Victron lithium-compatible solar charge controller. My Magnum inverter is re-configured for the lithium batteries. The only other equipment change necessary was to switch out the factory-installed Precision Circuits BIM with the Li-BIM 225 version that is for lithium batteries.

With my current setup, I not only can boondock with no issues, but I never have to turn off the inverter and 12V system in the coach. Even when in storage (outside with good sun exposure), my coach will run the refrigerator and "background" electrical systems literally forever without the batteries draining down. I don't leave the fridge on when in storage, but I do turn it on a couple days before we leave on a trip, or when we need to leave the coach somewhere for a few days with the fridge loaded with food.

It's a completely "set it and forget it" system, and I couldn't be happier with the way it works. And, I got to throw away my refractometer and not have to check my SLA batteries every couple months.
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:38 PM   #52

Alpine Owners Club
C'mon guys....... this is a thread about buying a NEWMAR and whether or not to install Lithium batteries. This is not about buying the cheapest batteries out there or what is the most bang for the buck it's about a lifestyle choice!!

It is always interesting to me as a LiFePO4 user/convert/BELIEVER why people would whine about the high cost when they are looking at putting them in premium brand RV

If you want cheap....but a Coachman or some other entry-level product but when people go out of their way to buy quality and then bitch about a relatively small incremental cost to REALLY enjoy their RV....it just boggles my mind!!

Rant over
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:18 PM   #53

As a dealer installed option, if you plan to keep the RV for 4 years or more, the Lithium batteries are a good investment. There is a lot of technical knowledge to these installations - much better to do so right at the start. Chargers have to be lithium capable, solar too - alternator output voltage - a lot of things have to line up. They will put out more current for a longer time, and while all the reports aren't in, they should last you 10 years. In my case I'm not willing to make a $5-10,000 investment in a 20 years old rig, but will be upgrading to 330 amp hour 8D's when my current 250 ah batteries expire.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:03 PM   #54
SPT

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Newmar should be able to help by now to build in the right system, I have a battle born retrofit in my Ventana, and am very happy with it. I alternately live off grid with a self contained solar/hydro power system, and have discover AES 48 Volt batteries, with all the convenience of a grid connection.
There is no better system than one without lead and with a lithium battery hands down. The only problem is the price, however time and especially the convenience of having almost no maintenance will forever make you realize that lead acid batteries are a dinosaur of the past.
You obviously can afford that amazing coach so if you want to boondock without a grid plugin you will be very happy to add the battery change along with about 1 kw of solar on the roof
Happy trails to you, life is good for you ahead
SPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:59 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
I have four lead acid batteries in my coach. They are interstate and I got them at costco for ~ $90 each. I had the same ones for six years prior to these. I also put 400 watts of solar on my roof for another $1000. I probably would put lithium batteries in if I didn't have change so many other things and had the money to do so.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:33 AM   #56

Ford Super Duty Owner
"Battle Born batteries seem to continue as the gold standard but there are a number of alternatives on the market at lower cost."

++++++

When we buy these things we pay a certain amount for the battery capacity. If you divide the price by the number of Watt Hours, you see the true cost.

Battle Born comes in at 74 cents per WH. "Big Battery" Hawks come in at 33 cents. I bought the Hawks and have been quite happy with them. Even less expensive are DIY battery builds....buy the cells and a BMS. Voila ! 20 cents per WH !

FWIW, I asked Newmar to build my Bay Star with Solar and they just gave me a glassy eyed stare. There is hope, they offer a massive Solar setup for the King Aire, $$$$. Winnebago is further up the road on this. It's a matter of time. Our demographic are not quick adopters.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lithium