Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Sounds like you have it under control. My vent fan also vents into inverter compartment, which has it own blower which vents outside when temps rise. Haven't been in real cold weather yet, but if my cube heater cannot do the job in real cold weather, I have a 12 volt thermostatic mattress pad that draws about 72 watts. I know it used to keep me fairly comfortable in 0 f temps in my truck camper. Might be able to keep batteries above 25 f if placed under them.
In a video I watched on YouTube the guys from Battleborn recommended you don't use heating pads underneath. I think it might create hot spots, think about that blanket and when it was folded it would be warmer at the fold. Probably safer to just wrap the battery pack with it, I've had that thought and Dan McMartin mentioned that idea in his comment. Anyway they said they have a solution that they sell to the OEM market that is a stick on side pad heater. I haven't traced that down because I don't think I'll need that so it is a lower priority. I do plan on looking into it as some point.
flyfishidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 09:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishidaho View Post
In a video I watched on YouTube the guys from Battleborn recommended you don't use heating pads underneath. I think it might create hot spots, think about that blanket and when it was folded it would be warmer at the fold. Probably safer to just wrap the battery pack with it, I've had that thought and Dan McMartin mentioned that idea in his comment. Anyway they said they have a solution that they sell to the OEM market that is a stick on side pad heater. I haven't traced that down because I don't think I'll need that so it is a lower priority. I do plan on looking into it as some point.
This one is 3' by 6' so I could just lay it flat. It never really gets warm, [it is only 72 watts max]. But my plan is to never be in a place where I need it.
https://www.iowa80.com/pd/12-volt-bu...RgzAZtzzVErMaA
Old 03-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #17

I agree on the heating pad. It's not a priority. I think the lowest temps in the bays I've ever seen was 37 and it was below freezing when that happened. Generally they stay in the high 40's or higher. 24 degrees in the bays means it's probably in the teens outside and that ain't happening. We've got wheels.

And it looks like we'll be producing videos on the same subject at the same time. Our 12 volt marine Interstates that came with the coach are dying a not so slow death. We'll play games until we can replace them but they're not long for this world...

AutoCad? Always used MicroStation. Even designed our last house on the free version they provided for training. I don't need cad often but when I do, I use Sketchup. Works for most things but not really made for larger projects.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #18

I have seen two products announced in 2018 that integrated a heating element into the batteries themselves. The advantage is that the BMS senses low temperatures so it will use charging current to power the heating element before charging in a very seamless way.

Xantrex This product is not really commercially available to consumers. They are initially only going through OEMs and targeting the Class B market.

Relion This is the most interesting one because it is a full drop in replacement for standard 12V battery and includes the BMS and heating element in the housing.

The battery industry is innovating quickly. There are even new solid state Lithium chemistry in the works that will be capable of being charged below freezing. Who knows when they'll be available and I wouldn't be the first to buy it, but the field is very much in active R&D right now.
SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #19

There are about 4 write-ups by this RVers with a 40' MH on their lithium install. One is on the top of the page and scroll down for Parts, 1, 2, 3.

https://wheelingit.us/?s=lithium+batteries
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Microstation....Yea we had a ton of those types at the engineering company...

I am postponing my upgrade for a month until I get out to Arkansas where I can access people with good metal fabrication skills. I discovered this....

Yep, that is a crack. Looks like that square tube support is also bent. Since I am going to have this repaired I am going to have the compartment fabricated by the folks I am taking it to for the repair of the crack. I'll have them weld the frame and build the box out of sheet metal so that it is sealed from any air leaks. It'll be much more sturdy than what I can do here on site.
Plus now I can make the compartment taller so there will be more room for cables and such.

Yes, my GC-2 Interstates have been pretty disappointing really. Just three years old and I have taken care of them but they wont support the draw the inverter puts on them with a high amp load (Microwave, toaster, etc.)

I looked at the Xantrex Li solution. Only installed by dealers and OEM's. $$$$$

I know in cold climates battery blankets are pretty common. I expect once Battleborn flushes out the kinks with their battery heater it will show up in the retail market.
flyfishidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #21

Our Interstates are only 15 months old. But they are 12 volt Marine/RV batteries. I'm sure they don't like the repeated deep discharges and not always getting back up to full charge. Their 1 year warranty with zero coverage beyond that pretty much tells you they aren't intended for full time RVing use. Not sure why Newmar even puts them in their coaches.

BTW, we bought three Battle Born 100 Ah batteries yesterday. They told us those heating pads are available. They also said that their batteries need to be heated from the side, not the bottom. We didn't bother. Never even camped in 24 degree temps, 26 is the lowest, and the Bays never got below about 37. Don't plan to either.

Good luck with that repair. The bend is a bit concerning...

Tags
battery, lithium, upgrade