Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2020, 08:39 AM   #1

Little water pressure in shower - 4018

Hi all,

Just noticed that we have about 1/2 of the normal water pressure in the shower - both the shower head and wand. Plenty of pressure in sink and all other fixtures. Is there a screen that needs cleaned that would affect both shower head and wand? Could something have gotten crimped when I put slides out? Everything looks fine in compartments and no water leaking underneath. I’m hoping for something really simple!

Charles
2017 DS 4018
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado13 View Post
Hi all,

Just noticed that we have about 1/2 of the normal water pressure in the shower - both the shower head and wand. Plenty of pressure in sink and all other fixtures. Is there a screen that needs cleaned that would affect both shower head and wand? Could something have gotten crimped when I put slides out? Everything looks fine in compartments and no water leaking underneath. I’m hoping for something really simple!

Charles
2017 DS 4018

It’s actually only the cold water which is about 50% of normal - there is normal pressure with hot water.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:31 AM   #3

Quote:
It’s actually only the cold water which is about , 50% of normal - there is normal pressure with hot water.
This last post tends to point toward a crimped water line, especially if slides are involved. Still possible that there is a problem inside the mixer valve or cold feed to that valve, but the first thing to investigate is the route of the water lines in the areas of the slide.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
This last post tends to point toward a crimped water line, especially if slides are involved. Still possible that there is a problem inside the mixer valve or cold feed to that valve, but the first thing to investigate is the route of the water lines in the areas of the slide.

Thanks. I put the slides back in while my wife watched the water pressure and there was no change, however it is a little better now. Going to watch it a bit and see what happens.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:04 AM   #5

I don't believe the shower water line would be routed through a slide, but I may be wrong. I would check basement for a any shut valves that maybe half turned off. Mixer valve is also a good guess.
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #6

:dance First check the flow in the shower when on city water supply & then again with it shut off & using your water pump. This will rule out a partially clogged main house water filter clog. Next - if there is still a problem with low volume cold water flow, shut off all water & remove your cold water faucet or mixer head. Look for any debris in the cold water side input. If there is none, leave it apart & rig a air line coupling to your water hose- set your compressor @ 50 PSI & your water service to city supply- give it a couple of blasts of air with a person in the shower holding an old towel over the faucet/mixer valve- see if you get anything out of the line? jack up the pressure to 80 PSI & repeat the process. This will ensure your cold water line is clear.

If this doesn't correct the problem, you may have a bad faucet/mixer valve that will need to be replaced.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a similar problem in our coach (also a 2017) about a year ago. If I remember correctly, the water flow restricter in the shower head was clogged with sediment. I believe I unscrewed the shower hose from both ends. The restricter was visible in the shower head and was easy to get out. While holding a cup over the water fixture, I turned the water on full force on hot and then cold. This got the trash out of the lines.

Had to do a similar procedure to the line going to the toilet about the same time. The faucet at the bathroom sink was the easiest. Just unscrew the water diffuser at the end of the spout.

Good Luck. —— Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When was the last time you changed the whole house water filter?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:56 AM   #9

The oddity for the OP is that the low flow is only on the cold side, not hot, and only in the shower. Flow of hot is dependent on cold pressure from city or pump.

That rules OUT:
City water inlet/flow restricter/check valve.
Water pump having a different result.
House water filter.
Shower head aerator/screens.

That leaves:
Cold line to shower restricted.
Shower mixer valve restricted on cold side.

Agree that unlikely a cold line is routed through the slide. However, one never knows how plumbing is routed.

To the OP, if the line to the shower is crimped, being PEX, it is unlikely to open up even if the cause if the crimp is removed. You need to do some exploring.

One question I forgot to ask, did this issue just happen or has it always been that way?
Old 09-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #10

I had a similar problem last summer. The only difference was I had no flow instead of low flow. With my issue the hot water stop valve was plugged with sediment and needed to be cleaned. Here is a thread documenting the issue.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/shower-valve-for-2016-dsdp-470478.html
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftharrisiii View Post
I had a similar problem last summer. The only difference was I had no flow instead of low flow. With my issue the hot water stop valve was plugged with sediment and needed to be cleaned. Here is a thread documenting the issue.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/shower-valve-for-2016-dsdp-470478.html

Thank all of you for your responses. I changed the whole house filter last month - it is definitely a problem with the shower itself - all other fixtures are fine, even the sink in the same bathroom. Also turning on the water pump does not change anything. Problem also affects the hand-held wand. I’m almost positive that it is a problem with the valve/cartridge itself.

Does anybody know the brand of the bronze fixture? I can’t find identifying marks. My fixture is different than ftharris. I would remove the valve to replace but I’m not sure how and I’m afraid to fiddle with it (especially with it plastic). Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1869.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	302526
Old 09-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
The oddity for the OP is that the low flow is only on the cold side, not hot, and only in the shower. Flow of hot is dependent on cold pressure from city or pump.

That rules OUT:
City water inlet/flow restricter/check valve.
Water pump having a different result.
House water filter.
Shower head aerator/screens.

That leaves:
Cold line to shower restricted.
Shower mixer valve restricted on cold side.

Agree that unlikely a cold line is routed through the slide. However, one never knows how plumbing is routed.

To the OP, if the line to the shower is crimped, being PEX, it is unlikely to open up even if the cause if the crimp is removed. You need to do some exploring.

One question I forgot to ask, did this issue just happen or has it always been that way?
We have the exact same issue with our DSDP 4018. I removed the cover plate and checked the stops to make aure they gave the full possible range. I saw no corrosion on the brass valve. I just wound up putting it all back together and am dealing with low cold water volume in the shower. If you find and answer to this I will be a happy camper though. And this is a fairly new issue. It wasn't always like this.
tigrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrlady View Post
We have the exact same issue with our DSDP 4018. I removed the cover plate and checked the stops to make aure they gave the full possible range. I saw no corrosion on the brass valve. I just wound up putting it all back together and am dealing with low cold water volume in the shower. If you find and answer to this I will be a happy camper though. And this is a fairly new issue. It wasn't always like this.

Tigrlady,

How did you all remove the valve? I’m not sure if it unscrews or if it pulls straight out. I would like to replace mine and if it fixes the problem, it might fix yours as well.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Tigrlady,

How did you all remove the valve? I’m not sure if it unscrews or if it pulls straight out. I would like to replace mine and if it fixes the problem, it might fix yours as well.
I’d suggest taking pictures of the assembled faucet and of the stem assembly as shown. Take those to a plumber and ask, they’d probably be able to ID the fixture and tell you how to remove the cartridge.

Many mixture valves have O-rings in the inlets for hot/cold and a dislodged ring could impede flow, but disassembly is required.

Tags
shower, water, water pressure