RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #1

Living Life in the 30 Amp Lane...

Last summer I experienced many a site with only 30 amp hookups, and just installed into the storage barn I rent is the same. Threrefore I though I would start a thread dedicated to this Ďleanerí life style in the hopes that the tips and tricks learned and shared here would be helpful to all.

First of all, the power management systems installed by Newmar are pretty good on our rigs, so we are ahead of the game to start with. That said, it is helpful to be knowledgable enough to help it along so that power is never interrupted. For starters then I thought I would map out power utilization. It is winter here in Indiana, so sorry this will currently be winter centric.

I will add more info as time goes on, but please feel free to add your own data and tips.

Oasis Heating Systems (tough to run both elements and anything else so run diesel burner if outdoors camping)
AC heating element 1; 12 amps on L2
AC heating element 2; 12 amps on L1 (by inference)
AC 1&2; 24 amps split half and half on L1 and L2

Floor Radiant Heat - High settings. (Tough to run all zones, but rear and one more is usually fine)
Front Heat zone; 5 amps on L1
Mid Heat zone; 7 amps on L1
Rear Heat zone; 7 amps on L2

Rooftop AC Units (usually run 2 units at a time without too much trouble)
14-16 amps running (more to start)
Front and Center AC units on L1; Rear AC unit on L2

GE Advantium Convection Microwave Oven (this puppy is a power hog!)
16 amps (easy)

DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are often on 30a service. Couple comments I would have.

Set battery charge to lower setting to limit the current it can draw.

The ability to operate two high current draw items can depend on how robust the CG 30a power service is. It the CG infrastructure is aged or overtaxed by many users you may be more limited.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Haven't had any problems on even a 15-20 amp circuit although I didn't run the AquaHot elements, nor the floor heat or heat pumps. Even my Advantium was OK as long as not much else was on. Just have to be aware of what's on and what you want to run.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #4

30A Power Supply------that is 3600W available to run what you have

3600W Total

50A is 6000W per Leg----12000W Total

So NO you are not going to run everything like you would when hooked up to 50A Power Supply.

Check what YOUR equipment uses and plan accordingly
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #5

Good Info

Thanks for the information. I used the information to check amps on the oasis and figured out my number one element is not working. No wonder the wife kept complaining about the shower.
GMDLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #6

I’ve notice that sometimes when running the microwave certain items are shut off by power management (like the oasis AC1 electric heating element (from L2 - same as the microwave), but other times the hybrid capability of the inverter kicks in and supplies power from the batteries. Does anyone know what controls this? Is there some logic diagram or other description somewhere?

Also has anyone mapped out additional accessories and which line they run from? I’ll get there eventually, but it would be a time savings if someone had this already.

Oh, and my add for this post is

Block Heater; 10 amps on L2

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you page thru the screens on the Precision Circuits Panel...you’ll see a list of items mapped with the Amperage they where drawing when the load Management System turned them off. Usually, on 50amp...they’ll all read zeros.

Anyway...those are the items that shutdown.,,that panel, is networked to the load Center, and the Inverter. The manual for it will describe what it does,
Old 01-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So, to add to your list...

The Power Control System will first cutback amperage to the charger. Next...it will use battery power to provide an Inverter boost, to meet temporary demands...if there is still an overload situation it goes thru load shed steps...

The priority is the following order...

Block Heater
Water Heat 1
Water Hear 2
A/C Middle
A/C Rear
A/C Front

When it sheds a load, it records the amp draw at the time, and uses that reference to determine when it is able to reinstate that load.

Actual amperage of each load will obviously be less than the circuit breaker value for that circuit.

The circuit ratings are...

Block Heater 15A
Everything else 20A

The load shedding can skip an item...due to limit of a particular leg...however, in most cases you really donít run into frequent load shedding when on 50A shore power. Itís more prevalent when connected to 30A or less...in which case the legs have been combined by the adapter...you are just trying to prevent an overall exceedence of the Amperage limitation. Reducing loads from either leg will accomplish the task.

The energy management system is probably underestimated in itís abilities. Even those that ONLY frequent 50A resorts...can appreciate the load shed functions for generator soft start. If they experience a power failure...and the AGS is triggered to start...in addition to Inverter cutback...the big loads are shed for a period of time to allow the generator to warmup when starting and cool down before shutdown. Of course, those of us that enjoy the flexibility of connecting to 30,20,or 15 amp power...really get the most out of the system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	977F9D20-2CBE-4E0F-9850-B87F199167DE.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	188861   Click image for larger version

Name:	B6E017E3-3749-47D7-907A-2EEA46FEADF6.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	188862  

Name:	CEA7D771-BBD1-42B8-AAA6-6D7F7327350B.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	188863  
Old 01-15-2018, 07:36 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a typical panel...with the L1, L2,and a Inverter subpanels color coded.

I wouldn’t assume that every coach is assembled identically...but if you understand the bus architecture...you can easily look inside your panel to figure out which components(breakers) are on which LEG of power...

While not a true logic diagram...this publication describes the functionality of the system.

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...g-05-19-12.pdf
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A0CC3175-5CF5-44A6-A676-EB90FF35F55D.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	188912  
Old 01-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Here is a typical panel...with the L1, L2,and a Inverter subpanels color coded.
Thanks! This is very help, and probably has inspired me to another level of learning!
Old 01-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for everyone's input so far and for starting the thread Dr Phil and C. Martins help, I have nothing to add, just enjoying the reading.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:53 PM   #12

Bumping this back up as there is a newer thread wherein others are discussing same topic.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #13

We installed a Magna hybrid inverter to help with the load issues when connected to 30 (or less) amps. The hybrid supports the incoming shore power with an additional 3000 watts drawn from the batteries. Most over load situations are short term so the battery backup can handle the additional power needs seamlessly. The user can choose when the inverter starts providing load support thus you can have enough head room for none inverter loads such as ac.
This is valuable technology that Newmar doesnít seem to officially recognize and offer. I am not sure why.
rvnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnavigator View Post
We installed a Magna hybrid inverter to help with the load issues when connected to 30 (or less) amps. The hybrid supports the incoming shore power with an additional 3000 watts drawn from the batteries. Most over load situations are short term so the battery backup can handle the additional power needs seamlessly. The user can choose when the inverter starts providing load support thus you can have enough head room for none inverter loads such as ac.
This is valuable technology that Newmar doesnít seem to officially recognize and offer. I am not sure why.
So I am not so sure. Iíve repeatedly had my inverter supply power to the microwave while two air conditioners were running while on 30 amp shore power. Interestingly the charger kicks in as soon as one AC unit turns off. I need to get into the basement and take a look at which inverter I have...