Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 04:07 PM   #1
Epp

Location of exhaust brake fuse on 2001 DSDP

Does anyone know the location Of the fuse for the exhaust brake, or if there even if there is a fuse, on a 2001 DSDP Cummins engine spartan chassis. I have looked under the dash, in the front firewall compartment, back in the basement area next to the battery compartment. I found the exhaust brake relay but no labeled fuses for the exhaust brake. It is not the two-stage exhaust.

Thanks,
Epp
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 08:29 PM   #2

Where did you find the relay? I have the same basic combo, and am having exhaust brake intermitent problems. Are there any unlabeled fuses around the relay? most of the panels are laid out like that.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:56 PM   #3

ISC, would only have a an exhaust brake ( not a dual or triple stage engine ; compression brake ) ISL was the smallest Cummins series engine that had an option , of either system, and the larger Cummins engines only have the compression brake.

The Cummins ECM needs to see the exhaust brake switch on and the throttle pedal COMPLETELY released to activate the exhaust brake . Then it activates the air solenoid to supply the actuator .
Question is , with the switch on and throttle released , does the trans shift pad show 2 or 4 ; a sign that the Cummins ECM and the Allison Controller have seen both the switch on and throttle pedal released .
Check the throttle pedal hinge for rust ; from shampooing the carpet ; and ease of motion to return once released . ( Don't ask how I know about the hinge rust issue )

With the shift pad showing the start of the downshift program and no action of the exhaust brake, then power to the switch is good ; and the solenoid , air supply and actuator need to be tested.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:26 PM   #4

OK ; I'm going to have to correct the statements in my previous post .
Spartan/Cummins , system is different than my Freightliner /Cat.

On the Spartan chassis the exhaust brake switch , provides a ground signal to the Cummins ECM and a power signal to the Allison controller , both the ECMs then share the throttle pedal info and activate the , exhaust brake control relay ,then the solenoid and actuator.

Epp , page 62 in the file I e mailed to you .

I'll go through the file again to see if I can trace the switch power supply .
Old 06-18-2021, 09:52 PM   #5

Ok the exhaust brake switch is powered from the same fuse , as the rest of the ignition circuits .

A 15 amp fuse in the Rear #1 ( Bussman EM0026 ) power distribution center , marked " Key Switch " circuit SP055B . Red circle in photo .

With the other circuits that get power from this fuse , if the fuse is blown the engine won't run .
Sheet , Power Distribution Ignition - 0025-GG9-038 in the pdf. Epp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1999 Dutch fuse blocks.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	332668  
Old 06-18-2021, 10:26 PM   #6
Epp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimknoll View Post
Where did you find the relay? I have the same basic combo, and am having exhaust brake intermitent problems. Are there any unlabeled fuses around the relay? most of the panels are laid out like that.
My relay is in the basement compartment behind the passenger side rear wheels and the battery compartment. There is a couple of black busmen boxes back there. Mine was In the Forward most box. There are a lot of unlabeled fuses in there.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:49 PM   #7
Epp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Ok the exhaust brake switch is powered from the same fuse , as the rest of the ignition circuits .

A 15 amp fuse in the Rear #1 ( Bussman EM0026 ) power distribution center , marked " Key Switch " circuit SP055B . Red circle in photo .

With the other circuits that get power from this fuse , if the fuse is blown the engine won't run .
Sheet , Power Distribution Ignition - 0025-GG9-038 in the pdf. Epp.
When driving, when I activate the exhaust break switch and release the throttle the transmission indicator shows 2. The transmission will downshift as it is programmed to keep RPMs in a safe range as it is decelling.

Last year we Sold our 99 DSDP Cummins/Spartan for this 01 DSDP cummins/Spartan. This new rig does not feel/sound the same using the exhaust brake as the old rig did.

The Cummins service center inspected the exhaust brake and verified that it was an operational condition. But not receiving the Ken signal to actuate the actuator solenoid.

I have removed the exhaust brake relay and have to manually jumper it from the battery to pin 87A and have verified the actuator is working and engaging.

This sort of surprised me as I was expecting pin 87 to actuate the solenoid not 87A.

This led me to the suspicion that when you turn on the switch it energizes pin 30, and the coil is denergized. If the throttle is not at zero or youíre not above 10 miles an hour Iím assuming that the coil gets energized and the relay will switch to 87, which would disengage the exhaust brake.

With the engine running and the exhaust brake switch selected I am not seeing any power on pin 30; thatís what led me to believe that I might have a blown fuse.

This is one of the reasons I wanted to see the circuit diagrams because the relay does not operate like I was expecting it to.

I just got done looking at the schematics Skip sent to me. It looks like I was correct with what I was seeing while troubleshooting. If it is not a fuse problem (if it was, the engine would not be running (I know this now, because of Skipís post above))I think my next step will be to verify that the exhaust brake switch on the dash has a good ground.

Looking at the schematics it looks like the ECM provides the power to pin 30 on the relay, and the TCM controls energizing and denergizing the coil through a ground signal, to activate or deactivate the exhaust brake, depending on speed and throttle position. Power to the coil is provide by one of the power distribution blocks.

It probably wonít be till Monday morning when I get to check this next round of troubleshooting, the RV is nestled in its garage right now and I canít access those back compartments while it is inside.

Thanks again for all the help, and I will update after the next round of troubleshooting.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:01 PM   #8

Hope this is an easy fix , once you track it down . Hate to think that maybe the signal is getting lost somewhere in that Bussman box's printed circuit boards .

Good Luck.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:45 AM   #9

I'm not sure what Skip sent you.
Attached is a diagram of what you're talking about. Make sure you take the VIM into acct (assuming you have one), mine is on the front side (gen side) of the firewall in front of the driver.
The TCM sends a ground to the VIM to activate a relay inside it and that is applied to the relay you're talking about - BTW, someone told me that the relay is magnetically activated. I have not been able to find that switch/relay on my rig.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crop of pacs diagram.PNG
Views:	7
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	332699  
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #10

Rick , the Spartan wiring info I sent to Epp, was for 2000/2002 Spartan Mountain Master chassis , with the ISC version of the Cummins 8.3l .

Many changes in wiring involved with the upgrade , to the CAPS fuel system and the addition of the Cummins ECU .

EDIT: Here's a shot of the page with the exhaust brake wiring from the pdf.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0928.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	332704  
Old 06-19-2021, 12:24 PM   #11
Epp

Skip sent me the correct diagrams. I have the Spartan Chassis and a Jacobs exhaust brake just downstream of the turbo.

It is so nice to work off of schematics again.

The back up plan for this trip, if I cannot get the exhaust brake working in factory mode is add a 12 V remote controlled relay to pin 87A which will give me manual control over the exhaust brake if I need it. I will tape the remote to the steering wheel where I can get to easily. I will just have to remember to turn the exhaust brake off when I’m under 10 miles an hour or on the throttle. I much prefer factory factory set up, but in a pinch this will work.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Rick , the Spartan wiring info I sent to Epp, was for 2000/2002 Spartan Mountain Master chassis , with the ISC version of the Cummins 8.3l .

Many changes in wiring involved with the upgrade , to the CAPS fuel system and the addition of the Cummins ECU .

EDIT: Here's a shot of the page with the exhaust brake wiring from the pdf.
I've seen you post this before - I figured it was an Electronic engine difference vs my mechanical one. You're usually right on the money on this stuff.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:30 PM   #13

Epp, a number of members have placed a 60s style headlight dimmer switch on the floor , to aide with exhaust brake control , could be easier than anything taped to the steering wheel .
Old 06-19-2021, 09:59 PM   #14
Epp

Once I get the system back to factory normal I will be adding a floor switch for activation also. I love that idea. But until I can get the factory wiring working correctly this is what I’m going to use

https://www.amazon.com/Logisys-RM02-...75887997&psc=1

Only the remote control fob will be on the steering wheel

Tags
brake, cat, exhaust, fuse