RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
location of primary start solenoid

2001 MADP Cummins 350. Can anyone tell me the location of the start solenoid? I realize the starter has a solenoid mounted on it but if I understand the wireing correctly there is a smaller solenoid activated by the ignition key that sends current to activate the starter mounted solenoid to activate the starter.
Also looking for location or Transmission ECM.
Hope that makes sense. Thanks any info.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
See if this thread helps.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
007, Thanks. search function seems to indicate that it would be located somewhere on the frame rail towards the back but no specifics.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:42 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
2001 MADP Cummins 350...looking for location or Transmission ECM...
On the 2000 DSDP the transmission ECU is located in the compartment just to the rear of the back, passenger side wheel well. It is behind the panel that houses the chassis battery disconnect and various boxes and relays. The panel can be removed by removing a few screws and moved to one side to expose the ECU.

The attached photo shows the panel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transmission ECU.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	101366  
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:13 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for that. Mine is a little different but I will check that compartment. Slow process because I am 150 miles from where the MH is now located.
Trying to solve a no start problem. Transmission may be cause or starter solenoid.
Not much Allison help in the area where it is located. Was told to check all the connections by Allison.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mine is located on the passenger frame rail just above one of the fuel filters. I can access it from either the bedroom engine hatch or from below. That solenoid is problematic. I've had two go bad in the past few years. It will leave you dead in the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	101369  
Old 07-28-2015, 06:33 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With all the corrosion and wetness in that area I would splice out the wiring and move solenoid into a dry compartment near there.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Mine is located on the passenger frame rail just above one of the fuel filters. I can access it from either the bedroom engine hatch or from below. That solenoid is problematic. I've had two go bad in the past few years. It will leave you dead in the water.
Thats an ugly picture for sure. Hope mine is in the same type of location, only because I can get to it. Good chance that is my problem.
looks like a generic solinoid. Thanks

PS I was USMC 59 to 64 so I am from Geezer world as is my MH relativly speaking.
Thanks again
Old 07-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
With all the corrosion and wetness in that area I would splice out the wiring and move solenoid into a dry compartment near there.
That's a good idea. I will look into doing that.

Quote:
Thats an ugly picture for sure. Hope mine is in the same type of location, only because I can get to it. Good chance that is my problem.
looks like a generic solinoid. Thanks

PS I was USMC 59 to 64 so I am from Geezer world as is my MH relativly speaking.
Thanks again
Thank you for your service, Devil Dog. Semper Fi.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I emailed Newnar last night on the response page asking about the location of the solenoid. This afternoon I got a call from Newmar and they set up a conference call with Spartan.
For my MH in 2001 they used an actual "box" style relay. It is located at the end of a wire loom covered set of wires that are zip tied together in the area near the starter.
I haven't been to the MH yet but I do remember seeing this relay hanging in that area when I changed the engine mounted fuel filter.
It can be jumped with a legnth of wire ended with alligator clips or a new relay can be put in.
Sounds easy I hope it works when I get there. They are pretty sure that is my problem.
Great service, but poor design. Who would believe such an important function would be left hanging in the back.
I believe newer units have a classic solenoid which would be great if inside and sheltered.
Call Spartan or Newmar first, but Newmar phones are pretty busy. I have emailed Newmar twice and both times the response was quick.
thanks to all I will report back on my results.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #11

Quote:
2001 MADP Cummins 350. Can anyone tell me the location of the start solenoid? I realize the starter has a solenoid mounted on it but if I understand the wireing correctly there is a smaller solenoid activated by the ignition key that sends current to activate the starter mounted solenoid to activate the starter.
Also looking for location or Transmission ECM.
Hope that makes sense. Thanks any info.
hillboy
If you have the Allison M3060 6 speed World transmission the Allison VIM, (vehicle interface modual). looks like this and could be anywhere in or under your Newmar.

(Mine is up under the dash behind a center cabinet between the driver and copilot seats).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Spartan tells me the ecu for trans on mine is in or should be in one of the pass side read compartments. In my case Newmar selected the location.

I do not know if any MH Manufacturers have a giude to locations of important components. Those of us who are driving older MH's are in a bind when there is a break down. I am broken down with a no start situation. Lucky for me it occurred on the lot of a very friendly RV dealer. Most of my info has come from this forum.
Using cell phone to contact the manufacturer of MH is problematic. Full lines are tough to deal with. Most service centers are as much innthe dark as to how to trouble shoot an RV. Can't blame them.
Wireing diagrams don't do much for most people. A location directory would speed the repair and reduce costs. The resale value of MH's in general would be enhanced if there was a manual that listed trouble shooting paths.
Check yourCummins Manual for example.....step by step.
Next time you shop ask the MH sales person where the Trans ecm or the location of all the fuses for all the componens are. If they go to a book and find the info you are in the right place.
If all of the above items are available in new units great. Thanks for all your help.

Tags
cat