Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 04:37 AM   #15

I feel your pain. The one and only time my door wouldn't open wasn't because of the door but because the thing the latch fits onto on the jam portion of the door. Seems that it screws into the door jam and mine had unscrewed itself enough to prevent the latch from letting it go. Took a socket/ratchet, tightened it in and it's never done it again. That being said, I'm extremely happy that I also have a driver's door so climbing out windows will never be an issue.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 07:12 AM   #16

We checked the post on the door jam and it slides up & down but doesn't seem to be loose. At least it doesn't wiggle in & out or side to side. Would someone check theirs to see if the vertical movement is normal?
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:31 AM   #17

On our Dutch Star, the bottom lock will activate ( lock) when the ignition is turned on.
When ours was still under warranty we had intermittent issues with the remote not working properly and once we did sort of get locked in. As was previously posted, pull on the door and turn the lock... worked for us. When we took it back to the dealer for work they found the wires for the lock were stretched very tight, causing the intermittent operation issue. They also said they had to do adjustments on mechanics of the lock. Since then it has worked OK.
Ye, the post on ours moves up and down, not in/out
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #18

SOLVED! We think.

Admitting this is a bit embarrassing but in the spirit of sharing I will....

I was typing another response when something clicked in my grey matter and I asked Gary if there was a switch on the dash that locked the door. There was and it was sort of stuck in the middle of the toggle.

I'm blaming either Cody or Gypsy for bumping it! I guess it's time to really take a look at all those switches.

I think this crisis has been averted with no tools required and no skinned knuckles suffered. Good grief...if all the problems were as easily solved!

I think I'll suggest to Newmar that a fix-it switch needs to installed on all new models and retrofitted to all of the others.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #19
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Glad you got it sorted out. Your "admission" might just help someone else solve a similar problem. I don't have that switch on my 2014 3436, so...hopefully...I won't have to deal with being locked in.

Safe travels.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the lock button still leaves you with apprehensions may want to try DS Don's fix for that lock button found in QT's # 3 his Mod Section.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:07 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Locked In!

I have been both fascinated and astounded by this thread!!! Is this electronic door lock optional? Can it be deactivated?

I am at a loss to understand why Newmar (or any builder) would offer for sale a system that could in any way possible lock the occupants INTO the coach. Was it untested? Good God!--- can you imagine the liability? I am equally puzzled as to why anyone would knowingly choose to buy it! Clearly this was, IMO, a bad marketing idea not fully thought through.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:01 AM   #22

Most coaches have this type of lock but our problem was caused by user error. These rigs take a beating on the roads and stuff happens. Many times weaknesses don't show up till later after it's been used a while. Newmar didn't build the lock and I would seriously doubt any RV manufacturer does. This is a TriMark lock but again...user malfunction was the isssue with ours.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just for the record... When these locks are causing troubles and you're afraid of being locked in or out before you can troubleshoot and fix, put a couple layers of electrical tape over the brass connections in the (hinge side) door jam. This will disable all electronic door lock functions. Keep in mind it may also disable your automatic steps.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #24

Just a note,, you haven't been locked in your coach until you crawl in one of the underneath bay to winterize it. And the wind blows the door shut. Boy was it dark in there. Just a little reminder make sure you have a phone, a flashlight, and a screwdriver. I had a screwdriver.
Steve Mosher.
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smosher View Post
Just a note,, you haven't been locked in your coach until you crawl in one of the underneath bay to winterize it. And the wind blows the door shut. Boy was it dark in there. Just a little reminder make sure you have a phone, a flashlight, and a screwdriver. I had a screwdriver.
Steve Mosher.
So how did you get out?
Old 10-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #26

I had a screwdriver that I took in and could only feel the plastic cover of the lock. I took the cover off and felt around and released the latch. It took about twenty minutes. Now I don't get in the bay's without making sure that another door is open and won't close. At least it was cool. The coach that I had before that I crawled in was a Monaco and you had to get inside to get to the the antifreeze tank.
The London aire that I have now you can get to from the water bay.
It's frustrating to get locked out or in. Lot of switches I have heard of pets getting on the dash and hitting switches accidentally. Some with pets have made protection so that a pet can't hit the parking brake.
Steve Mosher
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:36 AM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Just to add to the "door drama" another issue to watch out for is bending the receiving bracket on the jamb by inadvertently trying to close the door with the deadbolt extended. We did this a few months ago... When we then closed the deadbolt it was stuck solid against the bent bracket and we could not exert enough pull on the inside to get the deadbolt to retract. Fortunately, a neighbor saw our dilemma and was able to push hard enough on the door from the outside to free up the deadbolt.
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #28

Smosher> It could have been worse for sure but a great story now. Reminds me of the time my hubby got locked in the wood shed!

Since we figured out the switch on the dash, the remotes work again and the door has stopped locking on it's own. Just for kicks, we went back through the manuals for the door & the general Ventana owner's guide and there was nothing about that switch!

We did study the switches though and discovered the O.H. Fans. Thanks to iRV2, we now know what they do.