Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2021, 12:21 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
IF you have a Coach-Net membership, an included benefit is delivery of locksmith services to your vehicle and assistance in the opening of your locked vehicle, and/or obtaining a replacement key.

That benefit covers the expense of the call out, not the locksmith parts and labor charge. One call to Coach-net and they'll use their resources to locate and contact a local locksmith, then contact you to get your approval. At that point, they re-contact the locksmith for dispatch to your location.

I've used their service once and it worked well. The locksmith arrived in less than an hour from my first contact with Coach-Net and resolved the issue in about 15 minutes. He charged me for the 15 minutes of labor ($22.50). My problem was a stuck lock on a bay door latch.

Take care,
Stu
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #30
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
I just thought of a good place to hid a spare key. That is in the bottom of the Dometic® outside refrigerator/freezer for those who have one.
That assumes that you have a way to get that compartment unlocked. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Having compartment keys, as well as door keys accessible, can save the day.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:16 PM   #31

We were out west and pulled into a CG for the night . There was a couple stuck in the driveway because the door latch was broken and the keys nor the power lock would work
After begging the owner to let us help I was able to remove the drive shaft and stuffed my wife up with a wrench to remove the latches for the engine access in the closet and was able to gain entry and open the door from the inside.
Nothing broken or damaged. The latch was hot freighted and replaced 2 days later. Not a bad way to gain entry
Old 04-11-2021, 07:30 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150man View Post
We were out west and pulled into a CG for the night . There was a couple stuck in the driveway because the door latch was broken and the keys nor the power lock would work
After begging the owner to let us help I was able to remove the drive shaft and stuffed my wife up with a wrench to remove the latches for the engine access in the closet and was able to gain entry and open the door from the inside.
Nothing broken or damaged. The latch was hot freighted and replaced 2 days later. Not a bad way to gain entry
. I would say your wife is a real keeper !!!

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Can they not send the master key code to the locksmith for him to cut a new one from?
I don't know what locks he has, but the blanks are hard to come by for Trimark keys. I and a local locksmith spent considerable time trying. I finally just bought a new lock cylinder. (To be honest, it was actually the cheap way out. Trimark's prices are very reasonable.)

There is also nothing special about Trimarks that makes them difficult to pick. *I* could do it, and I'm not exactly an expert.

We keep a spare set of keys in the toad in case I forget to I carry a set when I leave the coach.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:46 PM   #34

We tow a Jeep Wrangler and you can open the hood of the Jeep from outside. Under my hood is a Fuse and Relay Box. I had extra keys made and found this Velcro hide a key at the locksmith for 3 bucks. Stuck it inside the box and closed the cover. Nobody will ever know it's there, until now. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2195.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	324675Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2196.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	324676
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:56 PM   #35
DHE

Change the battery in you keyless lock and fob every six months. Never had a problem when I have done this.
DHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Tony.....the electronics not working is one thing, but many have had a mechanical door lock fail and can't turn the key. If you have a power driver's window, there is a MOD that many of us have done. We ran a pair of wires to the window switch, inside the coach, to the bay under the driver's window.

With a set of hide a keys, one for the door and one for the bay doors, we/I can access the window wires and lower the driver's window from outside the coach. Since you have a bay key, you can unlock a bay with a ladder and climb in. You can even lower the window with dead batteries.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/rem...-430553-2.html
Agree with this. We had it done before we picked the RV up from the dealer. We have used it 3 times and really saved our behinds.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I went to enter my LA and tried to used the keyless entry. Nothing happened. Not even a clicking sound. The keypad will however unlock the bay doors. Unfortunately my master set of keys is in the safe onboard, and I can't find my spare set.

I had a locksmith come out and they cannot get the lock to open. Newmar said they can send a "master key" to the locksmith.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how I might get in in the meantime?

Next time we will make a hide-a-key for the door and store it in the engine compartment
You learned that you never leave your rig without the key. Batteries do go dead. I always have my RV keys on me. - Don't ask me why I know! A hard lesson I learned.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:46 PM   #38

I just have to jump in here and say, you are relying on another keypad on your toad. I don't have an RV yet but on our vehicles, I always rely on a physical key that has saved me many times over the years. Just saying!
junkmanjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:36 PM   #39

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well I’m a locksmith and an RVer and I just understand why a lot of you don’t have three or four sets of keys for your RV we locksmiths are not immune to locking ourselves out of our vehicle or just losing a set of keys we carry three sets of keys to our coach when traveling.
Lockman1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:05 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
Installed one of these in the engine compartment. Ran the shackle through a hole in the frame that was already there.

https://www.masterlock.com/products/product/5422D
Dahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:35 AM   #41

I carry three (3) complete sets of keys on me any time I am up and moving.

Would that work for you?
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:50 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I went to enter my LA and tried to used the keyless entry. Nothing happened. Not even a clicking sound. The keypad will however unlock the bay doors. Unfortunately my master set of keys is in the safe onboard, and I can't find my spare set.

I had a locksmith come out and they cannot get the lock to open. Newmar said they can send a "master key" to the locksmith.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how I might get in in the meantime?

Next time we will make a hide-a-key for the door and store it in the engine compartment
I did this on a ferry once in an older class C. Was really sweating it as we were only about 15 minutes out and it would have really created havoc trying to unload all the vehicles with me stuck in the middle. Fortunately I was able to force a window and climbed in.

I really like my keyless entry, but I always carry a fob with a key. Interesting that the bay door system works and the entry door doesn’t. When you figure out why, please post the cause. Might help others avoid this.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote