Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2022, 10:51 AM   #1

Locked out. Electric lock

When I put my coach in storage I forgot to turn off my chassis batteries and left my tpms booster on. Two weeks later I try to get into my coach and the electric lock sounds weak and isn’t unlocking. The storage bays work but not the front door. When I go back I ll try jumping the chassis batteries off my truck but I need 40 feet of cable to reach them. Has anyone else had this issue and know of any other course of action. The 10 w solar panel may bring the batteries up in a couple of days. I ll pry go over on Tuesday or Wed, so we ll see. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2022, 10:59 AM   #2

Invest in a small lithium powered jump-starter pack. Lots easier than forty feet of tangled cables.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:13 PM   #3
Community Moderator

You don’t have a key to the front door?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
You don’t have a key to the front door?
^^^^^ What he asked?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:11 PM   #5

I tried both keys. Neither has ever opened the electric lock.

Mark
Old 07-02-2022, 03:18 PM   #6

I would go ahead and purchase a jump pack. That will get your batteries online. Your key should unlock the door.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:57 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNawman View Post
I tried both keys. Neither has ever opened the electric lock.

Mark

Keep trying other keys…. There IS a key that fits.

A separate key fits the deadbolt.

In fact, if you have any other Newmar coaches in the campground, ask them if you can try their keys….. there are only a few different keys to that lock.

A couple got locked out a few months ago, and asked us for our key to try….. it opened their coach right up !
Old 07-02-2022, 07:54 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim 75
I have THREE (3) keys for my MA. 1-ignition 2- dead bolt and basement doors 3-door lock and the electric key fob. Had same problem as you--only problem was, THE key I needed was IN the coach. Lock smith OUCH Now have spares in magnetic boxes Low house batteries is why the fob wouldn`t open the door Jim75
Jim 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:57 AM   #9

Ok, I ll try the deadbolt key again. It felt like it didn’t turn as far as normal and I didn’t want to break the key off in the lock. A local RV tech insisted that the key should work too. I’ve got two portable jump starters I ll connect one to each battery and try again. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Mark
Old 07-03-2022, 09:12 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNawman View Post
Ok, I ll try the deadbolt key again. It felt like it didn’t turn as far as normal and I didn’t want to break the key off in the lock.

If that key fits the deadbolt, then I guarantee it won’t fit the other door lock. They are almost always keyed differently. But try your other keys.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:25 PM   #11

Thanks for all the input. I got in. Put battery jump starters on both chassis batteries, the read 13.6 v, so low voltage wasn’t the problem. Key fob was 3 v so that wasn’t the problem. The two door keys would lock and unlock their respective locks, but not enough to open the door. I got a pry bar and carefully stuck it in the gap, and CAREFULLY applied pressure and the door popped open. Left no marks. I’m going to dismantle the lock, clean and lube. May end up getting a new one. Thanks again everyone. By the way has anyone replaced with a higher quality latch?

Mark
Old 07-04-2022, 08:12 AM   #12

Had same situation after Freightliner repair visit because of breakdown on the road. I have put the two front door keys in a magnetic box hidden in the engine compartment. Worked great to get me into the coach. Interestingly the electric locks appear to work off the starting battery which is locked behind electric storage door locks so you'll need that key too if you have to jump either of your batteries. Luckily I was able to hook the batteries together with the switch on the dash and start the engine. After that it was just a matter of time before the batteries charged up a bit and everything was fine.

Since signature line doesn't show on mobile browser...don't know why.

2019 New Aire
Bill
Old 07-04-2022, 08:27 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you cant find the key that works. Once you get this figured out. Get a locksmith to make a key or re-key the lock, or have the manufacture send you a key.

It's only a matter of time and you will be locked out again.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric