Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #1

Locked out my coach

This is my very first RV. I am VERY disappointed. I always heard that Newmar is the Rolls Royce of coaches. I purchased a brand new 2018 ventana LE 2 months ago, went camping last week got locked out had to dive in through my driver window and then take apart the whole lock to open the door. I put it back together and it started to work again until a week later when I tried to install a dash cam I could not again open the door. My window is locked now and I have no way to get inside the coach. I called NEWMAR’s emergency number and the woman basically told me I had to call a lock Smith. I asked her how I would get reimbursed and she said she would email me the instructions right away. 5 hours later I am still waiting and still locked out of my coach. I am glad I am not boon docking in some remote area otherwise I be screwed. Also one of the moldings came right off underneath the headlights...I had not even used the coach yet. I called the local newmar dealer and they said They wouldn’t touch my coach since I didn’t buy it from them...really? I called the one I did purchase from and they said I would have to wait over 2 months...what? 2 months to change a simple molding? I am learning that to get an appointment with dealers for anything is a nightmare! I hope Newmar trains their dealers properly so their customers who are spending 250K and up are taken care of. Other then these 2 issues I love the coach. It is beautiful and well designed with top of the line materials but the customer service after the sale has to be addressed soon otherwise my next coach won’t be a NEWMAR...
LimoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #2

After being locked out of my new coach and calling Coach.net I finally put a spare set inside my front compartment on drivers side. I have had to use them several times as it seems it self lock itself.

Good luck

Pointrow
Old 12-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #3

I was locked out of my 2016 DSDP also twice. The latch would not open the door due to a bad lock design. I had to break the bedroom window to get in. I don't trust the login to this day so I installed a switch in one of the bays that will open the power window.
Our first coach was a Ventana and was loaded with problems the factory was able to address after a visit. Our Dutch Star is also loaded with problems some addressed by Newmar after the warranty expired.
I think the nature of the beast is problematic and I now accept that. As bad as the beast is, others are worse and don't bend over backwards like Newmar to assist.
I'm afraid the problem will only get worse with more units being built.
I also was told by a dealer they would not fix it because I did not buy it there. Sadly Newmar does nothing about it.
Anybody that tells you they have no problems with their coach is lying to keep the myth of superior brand quality alive. When we are out travelling I ask people their experience and most lie and say very few. A few are honest and go thru their list.
Sadly we have become accepting of the fact the first year of ownership will be spent repairing your coach.
By the way we called or Ventana " The coach from hell". There was almost nothing that did not break on it including the engine going off at highway speed.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:15 PM   #4

Good evening LimoKing and others posting here on this issue. I have only bought used and am only on my second coach. Newmar seems to have a very stellar reputation, until you read your posts. The one thing that IMHO is pure B.S. is that a dealer for their product will not work on your coach if you did not buy the coach from them. It is only a guess, but I am sure the dealer gets paid for warranty work done. If so, what's the deal? If this is true, I can't say because I don't have a new Newmar and tried to take it to a dealer I did not purchase from. So if true, I would hammer on Newmar like you would not believe. Right now, from what I read here, Newmar has orders up the kazoo. When this happens, they are probably not too worried about you, someone who already gave them their money. I believe in giving credit due when things or situations are handled right. I also believe in letting others know when they don't! Please do not give up and give the BRASS and others at Newmar a piece of your mind till things get rectified. Non Newmar owner. Just old Monaco's.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Would it work to hide an extra set of keys in one of those magnetic cases hidden somewhere outside the coach, somewhere on the frame perhaps? It would be awful to be locked out in the middle of nowhere.
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why wait for Newmar to fix the rig? Just learn to do some of the work yourself, you'll be much happier.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #7

We had our keys but the latch would not release the lock.

Bob, Pat and Daisylee the JackABee
Old 12-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
BTW I needed a spare ignition key, and Lowe’s was able to make me one. Just told them it is for Freightliner. I never asked for a door key. They may be able to do them too?
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #9

I had to replace a light bulb once in our 13 year old Newmar.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #10

FatChance, my BS meter just exploded. 🤣

Old 12-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #11

I have a 2006 Fleetwood Revolution LE and had a similar experience. I was able to press in on the drivers window enough to separate the panes to get a coat hanger in with some bends in it and twist it to unlock the window and go in. Mine was a Trimark lock and I found several people on the internet who were either locked out or locked in. This has one has a remote locking mechanism and I discovered if it gets locked with the remote it couldn't be unlocked manually from the inside. I hope this helps. A locksmith was my first try and he couldn't get in.
oldlefty49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:05 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post
We had our keys but the latch would not release the lock.

Even with key, it would not unlock? So door in bathroom is not a option, as you can only undo deadbolt and would still have to pull handle to open.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Even with key, it would not unlock? So door in bathroom is not a option, as you can only undo deadbolt and would still have to pull handle to open.
Correct. That's why I installed a switch for the window. The lock mechanism is poorly designed IMHO as I'm acquainted with the inside having taken it apart several times and installing the new one supplied by Newmar.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimoKing View Post
Finally took the plunge and bought a 2018 ventana LE NEWMAR. love love this coach so beautiful inside. I am 14 years from retirement but what the heck y should I have to wait soooo long to enjoy the RV LIFE.. I Might be the only PAKISTANI AMERICAN who drives a big ass RV....lol. The only problem is I can’t tow my FERRARI with this rig so I guess I will be buying a JEEP soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimoKing View Post
This is my very first RV. I am VERY disappointed. I always heard that Newmar is the Rolls Royce of coaches. I purchased a brand new 2018 ventana LE 2 months ago, went camping last week got locked out had to dive in through my driver window and then take apart the whole lock to open the door. I put it back together and it started to work again until a week later when I tried to install a dash cam I could not again open the door. My window is locked now and I have no way to get inside the coach. I called NEWMAR’s emergency number and the woman basically told me I had to call a lock Smith. I asked her how I would get reimbursed and she said she would email me the instructions right away. 5 hours later I am still waiting and still locked out of my coach. I am glad I am not boon docking in some remote area otherwise I be screwed. Also one of the moldings came right off underneath the headlights...I had not even used the coach yet. I called the local newmar dealer and they said They wouldn’t touch my coach since I didn’t buy it from them...really? I called the one I did purchase from and they said I would have to wait over 2 months...what? 2 months to change a simple molding? I am learning that to get an appointment with dealers for anything is a nightmare! I hope Newmar trains their dealers properly so their customers who are spending 250K and up are taken care of. Other then these 2 issues I love the coach. It is beautiful and well designed with top of the line materials but the customer service after the sale has to be addressed soon otherwise my next coach won’t be a NEWMAR...
So do you love it or are you disappointed?

Did you go camping last week or have you never used it?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote