Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #1

Locking Fuel Caps

Anyone know where I can get a locking fuel cap for my diesel 2004 Newmar Dutchstar?

Auto supply places tell me caps come in many, many sizes
reed1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #2

you don't want a locking gas cap,because if they want your fuel bad enough, they will just poke a hole in your tank and get it, then it will cost you alot more than a tank of fuel to fix it.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #3

I agree that gas caps come in all shapes and sizes. After several gas thefts in neighborhood, including what I think was 10 gallons from our coach, I took gas cap off and went to a real parts store. They got out two books and spent the time going page by page trying to match up my cap to photos. Found one and they had it in stock. Worth the $20 investment.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
If you do a search of this site, you will find the NAPA part number for them. That's how I got mine.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi reed1950,
If there is a way to lock something, I lock it. I got my locking fuel filler caps at Advance Auto. Just take your cap in and they (and you) can match it up. For your DP the caps are sold in pairs. One key fits both caps. When the weather gets better, I'll post the part number.

Your 04 DSDP has industry standard size fuel filler caps. There should be no problem getting locking fuel filler caps.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
you don't want a locking gas cap,because if they want your fuel bad enough, they will just poke a hole in your tank and get it, then it will cost you alot more than a tank of fuel to fix it.
That happened to my brother in Amarillo, TX. Cost him a tow to the repair shop, new gas tank, labor to replace it and the cost of the gas. Plus he didn't have the use of the vehicle for 2 days.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar uses non-vented caps on their tanks, none of the locking caps seal well enough to keep the fuel from leaking out. Tried it on both our '00 and 02' DSDP. Took them off. No idea what # they were nor even where they are now.
And, if you lock the tank and they still want the fuel they'll just cut the inlet hose (happened twice on our bus at work) or puncture the tank and let it drain. Not cheap to fix either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi reed1950,
As promised, the brand is Stant. The part number is 21591. One gets two caps and a set of keys. One key fits both caps.

To those advocating not using the locking caps, one could assume you don't lock anything. Based on the premise if someone wants what you have they will find a way to steal it. For me, I find this position absurd.

Locks are for providing a reason for the thief to move on to an easier target.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi reed1950,
As promised, the brand is Stant. The part number is 21591. One gets two caps and a set of keys. One key fits both caps.

To those advocating not using the locking caps, one could assume you don't lock anything. Based on the premise if someone wants what you have they will find a way to steal it. For me, I find this position absurd.

I lock everything but not the gas caps. In my younger days I used to work part time at full service gas stations. When a customer would come in with a locking gas cap and couldn't find the key it was a simple task of using a large pair of channel lock pliers to pop the locking gas cap off. Todays perps are either not smart enough or too lazy so they just poke a hole in the tank.

At home I installed motion detector security lighting. Two of my neighbors had their cars broken into in one night but they didn't bother my vehicles. I don't think the perps liked the halogen lights at our house.

When I park somewhere else I try to park in an area with high visibility. The only time I have lost gas was when I had to leave my pickup at a maintenance shop. The owner said none of his employees would steal.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
That may be true, but I have one on my truck to stop the little creedents from putting in something that will screw up the fuel system. For them it's easyer to go on to the next vehicle.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #11

I got non vented locking caps at NAPA for my '05 coach and swapped them over to my '09 coach.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi reed1950,

I agree fully with Gary. I replaced the caps to locking ones on both my DSDP and Essex. As well as a theft deterrant the locking caps prevent someone, even kids, putting something other than fuel in the tank. Additionally it stops an egar fuel attendant from starting to fill your diesel tank with gas while you are preparing to come out of your rig.

Like Garry said, if you believe the theory if it's locked they will break it, so why bother locking your house, car or motor home for that matter. Believe me they are all easy to break into if you want to. Locked cars are less likely to have a theft issue than those left unlocked.

Peter
Old 07-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
In this part of the World (Eastern Canada), the issue is not to be locked up all over the place, but have good lightning and a plan to stay safe, as whe are not legally armed

Will never get locked fuel caps on my DSDP....they may take my fuel, I do not care, as long as they do not hurt the beast
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel