RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2020, 09:36 AM   #1
mre

Logo Removal

This past summer I hit a bird (actually I hit six birds over the course of the summer and three in one day) and damaged the “NEWMAR” logo above the driver’s side. I would like to remove the logo. Is there a safe way to remove remaining logo without damaging the paint? The logo is plastic chrome with some sort of adhesive on the back.

Also, the coach model name is below the windshield is probably applied the same way and was thinking of removing that. It is also chrome plastic. The difference it is logo is stuck to the protective clear shield that protects the paint beneath and not applied directly to the paint. Is there a safe way to do that?

Are there any recommendations of a safe product that can be used on both the paint and the shield that would assist in easy removal?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2020, 09:44 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Hair dryer to heat it up.
Plastic spatula, or heavy string to help pull it up.
Cleaner wax, 3M adhesive remover, or similar to help remove residual adhesive/tape.

CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Hair dryer to heat it up.
Plastic spatula, or heavy string to help pull it up.
Cleaner wax, 3M adhesive remover, or similar to help remove residual adhesive/tape.
The hair dryer would okay in removing the logo from the clear protective film? I though low grade heat was used to remove the film.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #4

Heat, and goo gone it will work, with heat donít sit there with the heat on, just on and off, goo gone a little push and pull and a lot of patience, and clean up the residue with alcohol

Zzotte
Old 05-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mre View Post
The hair dryer would okay in removing the logo from the clear protective film? I though low grade heat was used to remove the film.

My rig doesnít have DiamondShield up that high. I doubt yourís does either.

Besides, the films are installed AROUND these stick-ons; afterwards.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #6

In the automotive world dental floss is the preferred tool. Followed by cautious use of goo gone and wax.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
In the automotive world dental floss is the preferred tool. Followed by cautious use of goo gone and wax.

FYI, true for smaller applications. The NEWMAR plaque is way too big and even the best floss isnít strong enough to work itself under before breaking.

And, yes of course, a re-application of whatever protection-wax, Rejex, etc.-is necessary after all this.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
mre

Quote:
My rig doesn’t have DiamondShield up that high. I doubt your’s does either.

Besides, the films are installed AROUND these stick-ons; afterwards.
It does. When I took delivery, included with the various manuals was a care sheet giving instructions for its care. I also got a small container on shield protectant. Also I can see where the edges of the shield.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #9

Use fishing filament rather then dental floss

Zzotte
Old 05-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
It does.

Well, I would hope it was cut around the logo. But still, you have no choice. So take it slowly.

If you use ANY tool, be super careful to not scar the film. Itís really easy to do since the DiamondShield is REALLY crappy stuff!

Goes without saying, but Iíll say it anyways...
Start with any corner of the adhesive and get it lifted enough to get your fingers under. Keep the logo heated and try not to heat the film.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #11
mre

Quote:
Well, I would hope it was cut around the logo. But still, you have no choice. So take it slowly.

If you use ANY tool, be super careful to not scar the film. It’s really easy to do since the DiamondShield is REALLY crappy stuff!

Goes without saying, but I’ll say it anyways...
Start with any corner of the adhesive and get it lifted enough to get your fingers under. Keep the logo heated and try not to heat the film.
Thanks

The logo is attached to the Diamond Shield. So I will probably leave it alone. Not to confrontable using heat to remove it. I feel the Diamond Shield might be easily pulled off in not super careful. The only reason for removing it is to make it easier to keep the front clean when traveling.

I will probably go ahead and remove the logo above the drivers side.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Thanks

The logo is attached to the Diamond Shield. So I will probably leave it alone. Not to confrontable using heat to remove it. I feel the Diamond Shield might be easily pulled off in not super careful. The only reason for removing it is to make it easier to keep the front clean when traveling.

I will probably go ahead and remove the logo above the drivers side.

Uh. Sorry, Iíve been taking about the NEWMAR logo plate above windshield on the drivers side all along.

I wasnít talking about anywhere else. Again, Iím surprised that it was installed OVER the DiamondShield. Makes no sense at all. But, if itís damaged, you still have to give it a go.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:14 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I like using WD40 for removing decals. I de-badge every vehicle I buy. Tape a towel under the logo above the windshield and soak the top and edge of the logo with the WD40. Using fishing line, start a sawing motion in one corner and continue to add WD40. Once I get it where I can grab it, I pull it off with my hands.

When it's off, I use OOPS or Goo Gone to clean up the residue and then wax it.

I wouldn't mess with the logo on the Diamond Shield. You may ruin it...you could still be cursed with bad karma from killing all those birds!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
WD 40 is the best for decals but if you ever decide to paint that surface you will have issues, would have to strip it down to bare fiberglass and start over. If you feel that painting won't be a problem then WD 40 is the best along with gentle lifting of the Newmar decal, and a plastic paint scraper.

Tags
removal