Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2023, 07:21 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Long-Distance, Used Newmar Purchase Advice?

I’m selling my 5th wheel, considering a motorhome purchase, and really leaning heavily towards 2018-ish Newmars. Found one at Steinbring - an apparently reputable Newmar dealer 9 hours away in MN. The coach appears to meet my wishlist of features. Would have to fly there, drive home. That’s OK. I would consider the drive home part of the adventure — unless I have any issues, of course!

This would be first-time MH for me. I have the usual questions about the history of the coach, whether it was bought new at that dealership, serviced there, whether service records are available. If the answer is “yes” to those questions, would you still hire an inspector to check it out? (I certainly don’t have that in-depth inspection knowledge.) I will ask, of course, what the dealership does to inspect trades and prep for resale, and whether there’s any kind of warranty. And accident/damage history.

What would be on your check-list in approaching such a purchase? Have you got a check-list you’re willing to share?
DCBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2023, 07:26 AM   #2

I would hire a certified inspector on any used purchase.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Steinbring is a very reputable Newmar Dealer, & I believe they are very forthright with customers.

I would recommend an "Independent" vehicle inspection, for your own protection.

Good Luck!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:23 AM   #4
Community Moderator

X3 ^^ What they said.

Do an internet search on "motorhome PDI checklist" and you will find many examples. Do a VIN Lookup https://www.faxvin.com/vin-check/rv-motorhome to obtain maintenance, accident, etc. report.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:32 AM   #5

I hired one remotely once for a country coach. So glad I did. Had slide leaks, water damage. Saved me a lot of jingle in not traveling there.
As far as the checklist. It's taken 5 years to discover everything that was wrong with the dynasty. Level reset button and park brake light never worked and Honestly I had no idea. Fixed them when the control pad went bad.
I remember the pump for the washer was bad when I bought it. But the only way I could have known was to run a complete load. So concentrate on the big things like, motor, trans, roofing, slide operation and leveling. Oil testing for the motor would be high on my list.

I had a friend that was buying a tiffin a few years ago. The roof was coming loose around the edges and was not repaired properly at the factory under the recall. He didn't understand the seriousness of it but fortunately he didn't get the financing for that one. The inspection caught it and saved him a trip to Florida from mt.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:34 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
Steinbring is a very reputable Newmar Dealer, & I believe they are very forthright with customers.

I would recommend an "Independent" vehicle inspection, for your own protection.

Good Luck!
For what it's worth - we have experience with Steinbring with two motorhomes over the last 16 years. We have been very satisfied with their level of service, advice, and overall integrity/competence.

Have fun with that new RV!

RB
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:00 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fully agree with getting an independent inspector. We purchased our coach without being able to fly up and see it (during COVID) and while the inspector didn’t catch anything major it gave us a piece of mind. There were several items that we had the dealer correct before purchasing. We did pay extra to have the coolant tested, but opted to not have either the motor oil or transmission fluid tested as the coach was fairly new and had low miles. We found out it had one owner but didn’t get any service information. I did verify with Freightliner and Cummins, using the VIN, that all recalls had been completed.
Our checks that we were concerned about: tire condition, any major outside damage or concerns including the undercarriage, generator condition/operation, , slides working correctly, condition of slide covers and awning, roof condition including lap sealant around all fittings (was it maintained), AC‘s operating, any evidence of water damage inside the coach (as it originated in Florida), appliances in working order, etc, etc. Basically we tried to check off the major items using a Newmar PDI form that we received from our friend (and also found online).
When we looked at inspectors we ensured they were certified, asked how many coaches they’ve inspected, how many years doing inspections and requested an example of their report.
For us it was money well spent.
Dave.FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 01:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with the majority of those that have responded to your inquiry. I would get an independent inspection. But find out what the inspector does for an inspection.

I sold a 2013 Tiffin Phaeton to a gentleman that lives in upper Michigan, we live in Oklahoma. The day he was flying in he had hired an independent inspector. The inspector showed up before the buyer. He spent about an hour and took probably 40 - 50 pictures. Asked me to start the generator. I ask do you want me to put a load on the generator, he said no. Do you want me to start the engine, he said no. How about running the appliances, the air conditioners or put out the awning’s, he said I have all I need. Then he left.

Buyer showed up about 45 minutes later and asked if I heard from the inspector. I told him yes, he has been here and gone. He was here about an hour tops. I told him what he got for his $600.00 and then showed him everything worked, took him through all my maintenance receipts took him on a test drive.

So the point is make sure you and the inspector are on the same page.
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:32 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
I whole heartily agree with getting a "RVIA Inspector" to go over the unit first. Note I said a RVIA certified inspector. I have come across a few who claimed to be inspectors but weren't certified by anyone and called themselves "Professional" RV inspectors. Some had been RV techs but that doesn't qualify them as inspectors. I believe in the need for inspectors so much I'd even hire one for new RV. I know someone who is a RVIA certified inspector and he says it takes a minimum of 4 hrs to do a complete inspection.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:38 PM   #10

If you are going to purchase an extended warranty..

Wholesale warranties here on the site has an inspection as part of the contract. I was very good but i would also request fluid analysis by a reputable company cummins blackstone etc.

2016 Newmar London Aire
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:58 PM   #11

As previously mentioned, and especially for a first-timer as yourself, an RVIA Certified Inspector is a MUST. Wish we had done that for our brand new Bay Star back in 2018! I learned a lot... the hard way.
Avoid the hard-knocks road and shell out the money for an inspection. Once you get the results (and the answers to your good questions), THEN put out the money to fly there and drive home. You'll have better peace of mind and know up-front what the issues are before you open your wallet. Steinbring has a good reputation... but it's going to be YOUR coach and you deserve to have all the information to make a wise and cost-effective decision to purchase and own.
Best regards - and use your head, not your heart to make this decision. Your heart will follow shortly after the purchase, if you do so!
Old 06-05-2023, 07:12 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.FL View Post
Fully agree with getting an independent inspector. We purchased our coach without being able to fly up and see it (during COVID) and while the inspector didn’t catch anything major it gave us a piece of mind. There were several items that we had the dealer correct before purchasing. We did pay extra to have the coolant tested, but opted to not have either the motor oil or transmission fluid tested as the coach was fairly new and had low miles. We found out it had one owner but didn’t get any service information. I did verify with Freightliner and Cummins, using the VIN, that all recalls had been completed.
Our checks that we were concerned about: tire condition, any major outside damage or concerns including the undercarriage, generator condition/operation, , slides working correctly, condition of slide covers and awning, roof condition including lap sealant around all fittings (was it maintained), AC‘s operating, any evidence of water damage inside the coach (as it originated in Florida), appliances in working order, etc, etc. Basically we tried to check off the major items using a Newmar PDI form that we received from our friend (and also found online).
When we looked at inspectors we ensured they were certified, asked how many coaches they’ve inspected, how many years doing inspections and requested an example of their report.
For us it was money well spent.
Thanks for the helpful information! Did you have to put some money down so the dealer would hold the coach for you, allow the inspection, etc.? Just wondering what arrangements are typical (or atypical, as the case may be).
DCBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:40 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would assume the dealer will want a deposit if not a signed contract. You are asking him to “take it off” the market. If they require a signed contract make sure it stipulates based on outcome of inspection.

If you’re purchasing from a good reputable dealer they will not have an issue allowing the stipulation. If they do not want you to inspect before purchase or allow a stipulation on purchase you my want to walk.
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:54 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just took delivery of a 2020 DSDP from Steinbring. Although I went up (we live in Kansas City) in November and looked at the unit and signed the contract, we really did not do a good job of checking every system. When we went up a couple weeks ago we camped 3 nights on their lot. Anything we found they fixed. I can't give Steinbring enough praise. It is obvious why they have been in business so long.

Tags
advice, newmar, purchase