Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Looking at '08 3410

Well after 1.5 years with out a RV we have decided to get another one. I've been looking at an '08 3410. We have two small boys and thought the bunks would be perfect for them. Our old Itasca didn't have them and we always thought bunks would be perfect.

The unit we are looking at seems to be in fantastic shape, it only has 17k miles and has always been stored inside. No dry rot on the tires and the tread looks great. I think its on a Ford chassis but need to confirm.

Looking for some insight on both Newmar and the 3410. Anything I should look for or ask the current owner about. I pull a 12' trailer loaded with motorcycles all the time, is this a good tower?

Thanks for the feedback.
ktmnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome too the forum Noel..
There is a Grand Star 3510 by Newmar for that year plus the 3410 Canyon Star..
If its the Canyon here is a Owners Guide for it.
Both coach's could have the Workhorse chassis option which will be an upgrade from the P-32 you have and brake recall would be in question or the Canyon may have the 22,000 Ford chassis.
I have had the older Ford chassis but now have a Workhorse and its big difference from older Fords.
Which ever one it is they are built the same way.
You should have no problem pulling the trailer with either.
We have CS owners on forum that will have answers also.
Good luck maybe new addition to Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We own one and love it! Our kids like the bunks, among other things we like the fact you don't have to put out the slide to have a wide aisle past the bath and bunks. We've done lots of mods to our coach, from solar panels and inverter to adding a dishwasher and replacing all the coach lights except the fluorescents with LED's.

On the chassis (which is an F53) we've added the 5-Star tuner (highly recommended), Cheap Handling Fix and Rear Trackbar. We'd highly recommend the last two as well, my wife now feels comfortable enough driving with these mods she was willing to drive it for 6 hrs when necessary.

Before adding them I had issues with "trail wagging the dog" and excessive lean and rolling. I believe that the relatively short wheelbase and long overhang compared to other Canyon Star models exacerbated the "tail wagging the dog" problem on this particular model.

We've also insulated the wet compartments and added heaters and more ducts from the furnace so we can winter camp. The double pane windows and great house insulation help make the coach cozy after a day's skiing or other wintertime activity. We don't get any condensation on windows except for the windshield, we keep a couple of towels on the dash to soak that moisture up.

I find the driver's seat and positioning of controls very comfortable and have no trouble driving for 6 - 8 hours per day when necessary.

We pull a 2900lb toad behind it, it tows that weight fine. We're considering going to a toad that weighs around 3500lb and believe we wouldn't have a problem with that either.

In 2008 this coach was available with either the F53 Ford or the W22 Workhorse chassis. The Ford had no recalls, but as 007 mentioned the Workhorse has the brake recall that should be performed before you take delivery.

Newmar builds one of the best Class A motorhomes in the industry, IMHO. We've had no trouble dealing with Newmar service, had all our warranty issues taken care of relatively quickly. The interior has stood up well to our two young kids and is roomy enough with the slides out that we have actually lived in it twice for a month or two as a result of a job relocation.

Good Luck!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the reply Luv2Go, it was very helpful. I'm really looking forward to our test drive on Monday. Hope to be a new member to the Newmar family soon.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ktmnoel,
If the floor plan fits, the coach will carry all your stuff (weight consideration) and will tow what you need to tow (weight consideration) then you have a great coach, with many happy adventures waiting for you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnoel View Post
Thanks for the reply Luv2Go, it was very helpful. I'm really looking forward to our test drive on Monday. Hope to be a new member to the Newmar family soon.
Your Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi ktmnoel,
If the floor plan fits, the coach will carry all your stuff (weight consideration) and will tow what you need to tow (weight consideration) then you have a great coach, with many happy adventures waiting for you.
As far as weight carrying capacity is concerned, one of the reasons we picked this coach was for that. At one time I had 1000lb of batteries in it plus all our stuff and was just at the rear axle limit. I think one of the reasons it has so much CCC (for a gasser) is it only has two slides on the 22000lb chassis.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
thanks for all the feedback. After looking at the RV today and taking a test drive my wife and I have decided to make an offer. Hopefully this time tomorrow we will be the proud new owner of a Newmar Canyon Star 4310.