RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #1

Looking at 2018 Bay Star 3518, thoughts, anything I should be aware of

Hello, my wife and i have been looking at upgrading from a 5th wheel to class a for some time now. Been looking at Tiffin - open road, Fleetwood- bounder or southwind, entegra- emblem and newmar - bay star or canyon star. One of our dealers in the area is bringing in a pre-owned 2018 Bay Stat 3518, less than 5k miles, 1000 watt inverter, they are asking about $110k. Anything i should know of or beaware of? It looks like Newmar discontinued this floor plan, i wonder why? I dont see many of them around. It is a triple slide, with 2 opposing slides. Any thoughts on this unit. Thank you

Jukenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2019, 06:28 PM   #2

As the owner of a 2019 Bay Star 3124 I can say I am generally pleased with Newmar, in spite of a few problems that we've encountered in these first few months (3) of ownership. We looked at the Tiffins and a few Thors and other mfrs but having owned a Newmar previously I was impressed with their workmanship and overall quality. My coach has less than 5K miles so I'd say the one you're looking at is pretty new. Mine has a 1,000 watt inverter and it runs nothing but the frig. No big deal, if you need AC power on the road, start the generator. You will find that the dash air will not keep the coach cool while driving in the hot summer months and if it geat unbearable, again, start the generator and run the roof air units. That problem is not peculiar to Newmar but to most class A motorhomes as well. We like to travel in the summertime and try to get an early start and then quit before it gets too hot in the afternoon.

Seems to me $110K is a pretty good price. There are deals out there on 1 or 2 year old coaches have come onto the market due to various reasons. If you're not in love with the 3518, I'd keep looking. You can download the various Bay Star brochures online and look at the different flooplans. Good luck in your search. Sorry I couldn't be more 3518-specific in my answers.

mvintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:35 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
They take input from owners and dealers around floorplan issues. They also look at their sales volumes for particular floorplans to see if they are selling.

Check the normal stuff, battery conditions, evidence of leakage, evidence of abuse. test all the systems. look at battery charging system (bidirectional relay) and relays for Jacking system. they are both in nose of coach and are exposed to elements. Many have had them fill up with water and fail.

Check that the coach has the towing capacity for whatever you are going to pull as toad.

We love our CS and Newmar. Picked up ours in March and have over 8k part time camping miles.

j
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:05 AM   #4

We love our Bay Star and Newmar makes a great gas motor home. If you really like the 3518 floor plan, then don't be afraid to go for it. You may want to look at how the passenger side slide out impacts the amount of room you have under the awning. Some folks don't mind it at all, but I prefer not to have a slide out reducing awning coverage. However, I've never had personal experience with that layout.

And, you may want to do a little research into the advantages of going with a Canyon Star to get the heavier duty chassis with 22" tires. We don't have any plans to replace our Bay Star for a long time, but if I could come very close to an even swap for a Canyon Star, I could be tempted. From what I've read, the Canyon Star tends to have a higher cargo capacity and slightly better handling on the road. With your budget, you may have the option going in that direction.

But, if you can get the right deal, and the unit is a real cream puff, don't be afraid to go for it! Do take it for a really good test drive to see how it handles. The previous owner of my Bay Star had Summo springs installed along with a rear track bar. I've added a Roadmaster steering stabilizer on the front. Also...the front end should be aligned after loading it with gear according to the owner's manual for my 2012 Bay Star. An alignment and tire pressure based upon tire/axle weights can make a difference on how it handles on the road.

Good luck!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We have a four slide unit, kitchen slide on the awning side. Have not noticed a negative affect of the encroachment into the coverage. One of our favorite things is to watch tv under the awning. Plenty of coverage for us, but I can see where others may not like anything in that space. Its all about the floor plan that works best for your family and use. we went with the single bath unit to maximize our space in the living area. Do check on the "tightness" closed up if maneuvering to the rear is in your plans. Ours gets very tight when closed up. The suspension improvements SCBWR mentions will greatly help drivability. Best of luck.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:25 AM   #6

For me, the floorplan that worked was the hide a leaf table with the TV in front of it. I can't see craning my neck 45 degrees to watch TV. Try it, it gets old quick.
mfredm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfredm View Post
For me, the floorplan that worked was the hide a leaf table with the TV in front of it. I can't see craning my neck 45 degrees to watch TV. Try it, it gets old quick.
X2 I really prefer a television to be pretty much at eye level. It's one of the more important things that made our 3302 desirable along with having room for a chair (we knew we would probably remove on of the couches. And I agree that you want to check the ability to navigate the length of the motor home when all the slides are in and you're travelling or possibly taking a break or overnight stop where you can't deploy the slide outs.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #8

Vinyl wrap wood

Thanks to all for the great feed back. One thing caught my attention in my research of differences between a baystar and canyon star, i read that the baystar had vinyl wrapped cabinetry or trim. I would not expect to find that in a newmar, especially a 2018. I think it was older info i read. Anyone have any info on that.
Thanks
Jukenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Here is a link that will give you info on all slide systems for the gas coach's and things that need to be checked or maintained.
Most low end Newmars will have vinyl wrapped wood.
2018 Bay Star Brochure -- Owners Guide --- 2018 Canyon Star Brochure -- Owners Guide
Good luck on what ever you decide.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:20 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Wrapped comes standard on CS cabinets as well. We upgrade to get solid wood. Surprised me as well, but they are working to keep a price point. if you order, you can get a lot of custom touches but you pay for it. We added what was important to us and we are good with price we paid. Thinking the trim on both is wood, but could be wrong. Benefits of buying a used rig is that the bugs are mostly worked out, down side is you have to accept the configuration it was built to.

j
Old 10-01-2019, 07:02 AM   #11

Wait a minute.. what is this about the vinyl wrap cabinets? I had always thought that they were all wood... Wow, not I am scratching my head! What year did they change to the Vinyl wrap? How is it listed on the MSRP, when we looked at them a couple of years ago I was sure they were all Wood..... Like I said... Scratching my head!
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:41 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The cabinet doors are solid wood. Vinyl wrap is used on the face frames and other surfaces.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #13

Vinyl wrap on our 2012.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
The cabinet doors are solid wood. Vinyl wrap is used on the face frames and other surfaces.

This is the same for our 2018. If I would hazard a guess, there is “some” weight savings and on Bay Star models this can be huge since some have limited cargo carrying capacity.

FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote