Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
The propane furnace is located under the refrigerator. The vent is for that appliance.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As Gary said its the return vent for furnace and in the bathroom there maybe a vent for return air from basement compartments for you tanks during cold months.
There is a heat vent to basement with a 12v fan that heats the tank area and it cycles with the furnace.
During the winter months Jan- March there is a 15% discount on labor at the factory.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The Journey Continues

I went back to the dealer to take one last look at the coach and tell them that there were too many issues and I was not going to buy it. After talking to them at length, we came to the following conclusions:

Issue 1: I did not like the floor squeak in front of the refrigerator, and nothing short of a floor replacement in that area would make me happy.

Resolution 1: They agreed to pull up the floor, and replace any sub floor that is not right. Additionally they would completely replace the top layer of flooring throughout, everywhere! This includes the kitchen, bath and cockpit area.

Issue 2: The kitchen refrigerator is not in very good shape.

Resolution 2: They are going to put in a brand new 4 door Norcold refrigerator, (no dispenser).

The tires have a DOT date that ends in a 10.

They are going to refinish the basement doors that were scratched from moving it in the yard.

They are also repairing the Corian counter top that is cracked. If it cracks again, they will replace the whole counter top. (I have this in writing)

I drove the coach, it rides very nice. My brother is coming back with me to drive it. He owns a Travel Supreme with the same setup.

The two things that I am slightly disappointed in are, the roof is Britetek, and not fiberglass like they said, and the hydraulic jacks are not auto-leveling. I can live with those two things.

So, we go back when they are finished, and go over the coach again. Then either say no, or take it home.
pequeajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
BriteTek carries a 12 yr warranty on the material, the fiberglass only has the original Newmar warranty.
Ours still looks close to new after 11 years although I have had to patch a few spots on the original Dicor but not on the Britetek itself.
I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker.
Our HWH jacks are not auto leveling either, personally I'm not sure I'd want them after reading about some of the troubles with them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
BriteTek carries a 12 yr warranty on the material, the fiberglass only has the original Newmar warranty.
Ours still looks close to new after 11 years although I have had to patch a few spots on the original Dicor but not on the Britetek itself.
Our HWH jacks are not auto leveling either, personally I'm not sure I'd want them after reading about some of the troubles with them.
Yeah, there are so many different opinions about the BriteTek vs fiberglass, that it really doesn't matter. The auto leveling is not a huge issue, I would have liked the option. I had auto levelers on my 2003 Georgie Boy and used the manual controls a lot of the time to fine tune. I will just use my cell phone as a bubble level, and have at it.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Just a thought...If it were me, I would have them replace the fridge with a Dometic vice Norcold.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Just a thought...If it were me, I would have them replace the fridge with a Dometic vice Norcold.
Well, at that point, it was leave the current refrigerator and fix it, or replace the current with a new model of the same type with no dispenser. I took the new one, no questions asked.

To their credit, BnRV volunteered the replacement.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Mr D:

I was re-reading your post and came up with a couple of questions for you.

- When you level manually, are you placing bubble levels, Where?)
- What do you use to clean the BriteTek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Old 08-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Hi pequeajim,
I clean my BriteTEK roof with 303, once a year. Mop and a bucket.
I use the HWH control panel to level the coach as a first step (all yellow lights go out). Then I open the fridge door in three different positions. If the door stays put, I am level. Lastly, if the wife says we are level then I'm done. If not I make adjustments until she is satisfied. Her and the fridge usually agree.

Did you try and level the coach with the jacks? Did all the jacks retract fully?

I would not worry about the BriteTEK roof. Mine has been through a tornado, hail (several times) and has been outside its' entire life. It has needed no repair and looks as good as the day it came from the factory. FYI, the hail took out both roof HVAC unit shrouds. No damage to the roof.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi pequeajim,
Lastly, if the wife says we are level then I'm done. If not I make adjustments until she is satisfied.

She sounds like my wife...
Old 08-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, I did use the jacks, and remembered what you had said about them retracting fully; they all did. I also looked under the engine about 30 minutes after we took it for a drive and saw no spots on the ground. We will do a closer inspection of it when we go back, plus I want thtem to run a hose out to the coach so I can check the plumbing.

I made a list...
Old 08-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
I think you will love the KSDP. Saying that check the flooring situation very carefully. We have a 07 KSDP that well love. Our commode overflowed while we were in the motor home at Newmar and it swelled and bubbled the wood looking plank floor in the commode room which is the same throughout the galley and bath. Newmar did not have and could not get the same flooring for repair. I ended up getting the entire carpeted and wood plank area (the entire front of the coach) replaced while at Newmar. We like our new floor far better than the old, but it ain't cheap!. So check out all the options available to you for this floor so you are not blindsided.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #27

HiI have a 2005 Kountry Star DP with
4 slides. It's a good solid coach. No real
Issues other than one slide out sitting a little
Angled on one corner. Under my fridge
There is a vent cover that pulls off
And there is a water filter in there.
After dewinterizing I had a tube
Pop off a little valve , I was lucky
I was looking in there and noticed
Before I turned the water pump on.
I retired from the railroad 5 months ago
And now work at a dealer here in Calgary
And sell New Newmars and Tiffins. it's hard to get
In my 2005 after driving and being in new
Ones everyday. The New ones sure are nice
But a well looked after 2005 will last a long time.
Good luck with your RV shopping
Dale M
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequeajim View Post
Mr D:

I was re-reading your post and came up with a couple of questions for you.

- When you level manually, are you placing bubble levels, Where?)
- What do you use to clean the BriteTek?
I use the lights on the HWH panel and then go by feel. I also have a small, accurate bubble level mounted right next to the HWH panel, but it gets knocked out of adjustment easily so I don't go by it anymore.
To clean the BriteTek I use what Newmar says, which is Murphy's oil soap, then spray it with 303 when dry. Need to get up there and do it this year. It's on my to do list since the wife refused to go ahead with a deal on a new 2012 DSDP that we had preliminarily worked out with the dealer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote