Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #1

Question Looking at older Newmar Dutch Stars

Hi everyone!

I am in the market for an older DP. (2000/2005ish) I have started to narrow down my search and it seems like the Dutch Stars are checking a lot of boxes.
(chassis, unique interior styling)

I thought it would be prudent to come back to the forums and ask the RV wizards to give me some insight or helpful little known information about Dutch Stars.

Any quirky nuances that you wish someone told you when you bought yours? :]

Finally, if you have another coach I should be on the look out for, please feel free to suggest it. (Was looking at a few Country Coaches)

Thank you for your thoughtful responses.

Hans~
SeaWolfHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #2

I am in the middle of purchasing a 2000 DSDP 3851 from a dealer. I looked at a few private sale units and they were for the most part not what they were advertised to be. A/C units not working well, etc. All claimed that the drive trains were outstanding for both the Freightliner and Spartan Chassis'. Overall, the Dutch Stars are not especially luxurious but they are very functional and the quality seems quite high. Nice cabinetry, Good A/C units, excellent diesel generators on slides. Hopefully some of the experts will weigh in. What year span interests you?
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #3

2000/2005ish. That is what concerns me about private party. But I am always open to private party. Thanks for your response!
Old 06-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #4

I'll echo Tom's question about the year range of coach you're looking at ; partially because 98/02 is where I have the most info.

When ( 9 years ago ) we looked at coaches there was our 99 and a 00 DS on the sales lot . DW didn't like the darker interior color of the 00 and thought the entry door was narrower.

EDIT : I see you posted year info while I was typing .

Those years would be what I would be looking for if I went looking for a replacement .

SERVICE RECORDS ! JMHO. Used and maintained , beats , stored and ignored.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #5

Dutch Star is a great rig and Newmar is a great company. Another to look at is the Tiffin line up. They have the Pheaton and the Allegro Bus which are close to a Dutch Star. I have seen many used Tiffins in the 08, 09 and 2010 years. Not sure about 2000-2005 years.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #6

Hans,
I purchased a 1999 Dutch Star last month..I absolutely love it!!
The quality is outstanding, Mine came with every record since new. My last rig was a gasser on an f53 chassis, I would never consider ever going back!!, For me it's a big learning curve as for all the systems and features..
texastbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #7

Another question I forgot to ask is I see a lot with CATS and a lot with Cummins. Does it matter much that CAT is no longer really making engines?
Old 06-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolfHans View Post
Another question I forgot to ask is I see a lot with CATS and a lot with Cummins. Does it matter much that CAT is no longer really making engines?

Id say no. I have a 03 with a Cummins. And it get the job done. Both are great engines things to looks out for was the CAPS pump they were known to fail do to leaky lift pumps on the Cummins. The Huei pump on Cat also had its problems you can research both on this forum The Cummins on that era Dutch stars were more powerful than the Cats.

Happy Hunting
Moe
MoePo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #9

Quote:
We're buying our 2000 DSDP 3851 on the recommendation of a friend who did the research on motorhomes. He purchased a 1998 DSDP. His is the Cat on a freightliner chassis and he loves it. When I told him I found a Cummins on a Spartan Chassis, he said it's even better, but I don't really know what would be notably better. I looked at 3 Cat/Freightliner units and every one of the owners raved about how nice they were to drive. I'd have been happy with either.
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #10

We had a 2004 Dutch Star for 8 years of full-timing. It was awesome and we had no issues with it. Never spent a night doing repairs..... just regular maintenance. Ours was 370 hp Spartan/Cummins. We spent the majority of our time in the western mountains and it took the mountain drives effortlessly - up and down. We'd highly recommend that year. If you can find one that has maintenance/repair records that would be an added plus. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #11

Oh, another quick question. Is the mini bathtub worth getting? Easy access for repair?

Thank you everyone that has responded! Glad to hear good things so far about this coach.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Although Cat no longer produces " on Highway " engines ( emissions standards caused them to stop ) Cat is still producing engines and parts .
From my observations Cat would be the standard engine in Freightliner chassis with Cummins an option . Where I think most if not all Spartan chassis had the Cummins.
Again from what I've read , the Spartan chassis coaches have a higher tow rating ; 10,000lbs vs my F/L's 5,000. I have heard the newer F/L chassis have the higher rating, but can't say what year that happened.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #13

We had both the Dutch Star and Mountain Are of that era on our short list when shopping. Missed a clean MA when we decided to wait over the weekend to think about it - gone when I called back!

If you extend into the 04/05 era, the ISL should have the Variable Geometry Turbo and Common Rail fuel delivery, in place of the earlier mentioned CAPS system. (Do call with the specific Serial Number to Cummins and confirm it's a VGT engine. As we bought out 04 CC with ISL370, and found out after we purchased it had an engine built in July of 2003 - and it is CAPS.) While HP/Torque max levels are the same, the VGT provides a sweeter/broader HP/Torque curve, and also on the braking, the VGT adds Braking HP. (As I recall, the Dutch Star ISL370 has Exhaust Brake assist, vs Jake Compression. Memory fade on the MA!)

And since you like the Dutch Star, might broaden your search and see if a Mountain Aire comes along too. Both are good coaches, and should treat you well.

Happy hunting,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #14

Thank you for the Mountain Aire heads up!

Tags
dutchstar, newmar