Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2023, 07:54 AM   #1

Looking for a Rock Guard Recomendation

Hey All,
I tow a Jeep Wrangler behind my Ventana and use a version of the Roadmaster tow defender as my rockguard. This is a mesh that lies parallel to the ground between the coach and Jeep. It gets pretty messy and I would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for a solution that stays on the coach permanently without giving up the protection and without having to be messed with every time I hook and unhook my toed. I’ve heard mixed reviews about Newmar’s full mud flaps ($500) and would like to know of a less pricey, more effective alternative if there is one.
Thanks.
Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2023, 08:21 AM   #2

Hi Rick
Sorry but this is not responsive to what you asked. But I wanted to mention I have towed a Wrangler for just over 2 years now. After towing many types of vehicles in the past I noticed, because the Wrangler has so much under clearance, it seems to be above the line of fire for road nicks, etc. I haven't got any toad nicks whatsoever on my Wrangler. I also tow with no rock guard on my Dutch Star. I voluntarily removed it years ago.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:57 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would also go with nothing. My truck is tall in the front and have no issues. It's the low cars like a Honda CRV that have painted areas down low that get chewed up.

They make a plastic protective (disposable) film that you can put on the front of the vehicle. I've used it on other vehicles. You stretch it across the painted areas, like Saran wrap, and then it sticks on. When you arrive at your destination, just peel it off and throw it away.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:57 AM   #4

Bill & Don,
This is great information. I’m going to try leaving the rockguard off and see how it goes. Thank you both for your insights.
Rick
Old 01-27-2023, 01:32 PM   #5

Another one here recommending no 'rock' guard.

We towed our Jeep to Alaska and one stop in the Yukon we saw about 6 RVers actually removing their full-across-the-rear mud flap. They showed us a layer of rocks laying at the base of their windshield. We didn't have the mud flap on our Dutch Star and didn't have the rocks at the windshield and had no damage. We did have large, sturdy mud flaps behind the tires.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:49 PM   #6

Another vote for nothing. I towed a Wrangler for several years and then a tiny little Spark for the last 10,000 miles or so. Including on some dirt roads in Montana and I’ve had no damage. Dust and dirt but no damage. I did extend the mud flaps behind the rear wheels about two inches. They show a faint trace of wear along the bottom so if I did it again I’d make them a tiny bit shorter. I think (personal opinion) that full width rock guards do more damage than they prevent by hitting the ground on bumps or dips and kicking up debris. But sales people love them….
Old 01-27-2023, 10:11 PM   #7

Taking off the Newmar tail dragger might fix your issues. But you could also use a hitch sweep to knock down anything going for your toad.

https://mudflaps.com/i-6266644-towte...24-height.html
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I would also go with nothing. My truck is tall in the front and have no issues. It's the low cars like a Honda CRV that have painted areas down low that get chewed up.

They make a plastic protective (disposable) film that you can put on the front of the vehicle. I've used it on other vehicles. You stretch it across the painted areas, like Saran wrap, and then it sticks on. When you arrive at your destination, just peel it off and throw it away.
Any ideia of brand or where to get this film? I never saw it and search result is not finding it. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:36 PM   #9

That thing everyone calls a rock guard, isn't a rock guard. It's a vanity flap, a rather fancy/flashy manufacturer advertisement for the kind of coach you are driving.

If you want to run it, then move back as close to the rear of the coach as possible. It has to be back behind the rocks that the rear tires pick up, or it will bounce the those rocks up on the vehicle.

I pull a 21 Equinox with no problems.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:12 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ri-Di View Post
Hey All,
I tow a Jeep Wrangler behind my Ventana and use a version of the Roadmaster tow defender as my rockguard. This is a mesh that lies parallel to the ground between the coach and Jeep. It gets pretty messy and I would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for a solution that stays on the coach permanently without giving up the protection and without having to be messed with every time I hook and unhook my toed. I’ve heard mixed reviews about Newmar’s full mud flaps ($500) and would like to know of a less pricey, more effective alternative if there is one.
Thanks.
Rick
I have owned 3 Class A coaches and flat tiwed Jeep Wranglers a total of 78000 miles and have never experienced any front end marring or damage. On each Class A I adjusted the rock guard to a height of 4 to 6” off the ground with the coaches fully aired. I also had PPF installed on the front of each Wrangler.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 05:24 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another vote for removing the billboard, highway sweeper, often mistakenly called a rock guard. The towed vehicles arrive cleaner and with less damage.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:45 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wilson View Post
Any ideia of brand or where to get this film? I never saw it and search result is not finding it. Thanks.

It’s called PPF Paint Protection Film….I’ve had it installed on the front ends of 5 Jeep models…3M makes plus numerous others….
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote