Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #1

Looking for most up to date info on DISH network with Winegard RoadTrip T4

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but most threads I searched for are from 2018 and have a lot of conflicting info on Wallys, some 211(?) receivers, etc. and a bunch of conflicting info with outdated firmware.

According to Newmar today on the phone, best thing to do is order two receivers (Wallys?) - one for bedroom as that is basically stand alone, And one for living room that will allow us to view LR, overhead and outdoor TV under same signal.

I think I will have to reconfigure T4 to accept Dish signal as it is factory programmed for DirectTV, correct?

Then, per previous threads, I get a DISH "outdoor" account, set up the account via an app, pay for a month in advance when I know I am going to use it, do not pay for an additional month when I'm not going to use it, but do not "suspend" the service.

Thoughts and confirmations on the above would be most appreciated. I know there are other options for streaming, Apple TV, etc. but I would like to go with DISH for the time being.

Thank you.
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I can’t speak to setting up the account because I already had a Dish Network home account that I added receivers to.

But with a standard configuration, yes to two Wally receivers, one for the front and outside if you have the outside TV and one for the bedroom. It’s a simple change to the DIP switches under the dome to set for the appropriate network.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #3

Following this! We also need to do something with our 19’, it is set for Direct but I don’t think that’s the way we want to go.
So you mentioned order a “Wally”
where do you order from, call dish?
And as far as changing from Direct to Dish, what’s involved?
Thanks
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #4

You can order a Wally from " PPL Motorhomes " for a around $60.

You own the Wally, unlike the leased equipment they supply.

I bought my first Wally at a RV dealer along with the Hard drive recorder.

Once home and connected to my portable Dome, I called Dish, using the " Outdoors " plan phone number and had it activated.

I choose the Outdoors plan because I am a snowbird and will take it with me. We only stay about 4 months in the house.

A week later I ordered a fixed, 3 LNB dish and connected it to that. Doing that opens up the hidden second tuner so I can record a different channel then I'm watching. Can't do that with the dome.

I ordered the second Wally to install in the MH, rather then move it back and forth. My MH has the TV over the door and no convenient shelf to place it on.

When I leave the house, I can switch to the second Wally, shutting off the one at home thru the app. That way I'm not paying for both.

The Outdoors plan also lets you use the App on your smart phone and its GPS location to change your local channels.

No need to ever call customer service.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
Following this! We also need to do something with our 19’, it is set for Direct but I don’t think that’s the way we want to go.
Thanks

I just ordered two brand new Wally’s today for about 115 total shipped from a place in Texas. Just google it and it will pop up.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #6

Our 2016 unit came to us from the previous owner set up with DISH. We are now thinking of utilizing it. I believe all the hardware is there.
Do we just call DISH? What is a Wally? What plan do I ask for?
We do not have it in our house, we travel approximately 6 to 8 months a year.
slojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #7

Does the Wally have a DVR built in? Is there a DVR version of the Wally?
Old 08-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #8

You buy a seperate hard drive as a DVR for the Wally. Its about $100 and plugs into a USB port.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #9

Looking for most up to date info on DISH network with Winegard RoadTrip T4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slojo View Post
Our 2016 unit came to us from the previous owner set up with DISH. We are now thinking of utilizing it. I believe all the hardware is there.

Do we just call DISH? What is a Wally? What plan do I ask for?

We do not have it in our house, we travel approximately 6 to 8 months a year.

I would suggest just purchasing the Wally (satellite receiver) if you are going with Dish. They can be purchased for about 60 shipped. Once you get the receiver you hook it up in your coach, and then call Dish to activate your service.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Just changed from DTV to Dish. Went through an independent satellite retail dealer. Got a hopper in the house, got wally in second room and bought a second Wally that went in motor home. House works great. The Wally receiver in the coach was simply placed in motor home, hooked up to power and original dome sat antenna. Installer said he had to program the receiver at start up to work with my original dome antenna. So to keep from doing a receiver re-programing every time I moved it from coach to house I bought a dedicated Wally for the coach. It works great. Installer said I would get about 90% of the channels. If I wanted to insure I got them all I would need to get a portable tailgater antenna for example. When we leave the house I can call Dish, give the serial and model number for the receiver and they will activate it. I can also call and have the Wally in the house deactivated. If I don’t deactivate the one in house and keep both active the cost is an additional $7 per month. With my set up in the coach with satellite every TV will be on the same sat program. Do not have ability to see separate satellite programs. Can watch satellite on one TV and any over the air program on the other TVs.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks

Anyone have personal knowledge they can share on what actually is involved in changing the Sat settings on the roof from Direct to Dish?
Ordering the receiver for $60.00 bucks sounds easy as does then calling Dish for a plan, however I realize that won’t get you TV if Im set for Direct.
Thanks
Old 08-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Anyone have personal knowledge they can share on what actually is involved in changing the Sat settings on the roof from Direct to Dish?
Ordering the receiver for $60.00 bucks sounds easy as does then calling Dish for a plan, however I realize that won’t get you TV if Im set for Direct.
Thanks
All you need to do is to change the DIP switches under the Dome. You can probably just call Wineguard and ask them for DIP switch settings for Dish, or look it up online for your model.
It's an easy change if you don't mind getting up on the roof of the coach.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks

I just did it yesterday. If you have a Winegard T4 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	256454
Old 08-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
I just did it yesterday. If you have a Winegard T4 Attachment 256454

Is the T4 the in motion unit ?
Mine states it’s a Winegard Automatic Open Face for Direct TV SK300.

Tags
dish