Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #1

Question Looking for some tech help with Tailgater setup

We have a 2014 Canyon Star 3921 with a television in the LR and another in the BR. The coach is wired for additional TV in Toy hauler Garage and outside.

I simply want to bring the Satellite signal into the coach and provide the service to the front tv and I will use my IR Remote towers to control the TV in the bedroom. Need assistance in how to hook up the cables to send the picture/audio to bedroom TV.

Would also like to know the smartest route to bring the satellite cable to the cabinet above driver's seat. Plan to put the 211k Receiver and IR tower in that cabinet.
Spiderwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is not rocket science, but much depends on you RV.

211 Receiver to TV...
The HDMI (HiDef) and coax (Standard Def) cables carry the signal at the same time. Connect these as you have available in the entertainment cabinet.

Tailgater to 211 Receiver...
Many modern RV's have dedicated SAT and Cable TV connections in the bins...I would look for it (would appear to be just like a cable TV outlet in a house). Maybe a call to Newmar's famous Customer Service folks can tell you if the RV has the wire needed.

If not...This must be a high quality coax like what came with the Tailgater, new. If your RV does not have a dedicated cable that runs from the entertainment cabinet, to a bin, you will want to add one. It does not need to be fancy, and can end under the front cap with a coil to be unrolled when needed to connect the Tailgater. Our RV has a cable run down the pillar next to the driver's side of the windshield...and runs down into the space behind the front cap...then into the front most driver's side bin. That is a good place because it is away from the utilities.

Don't know specifics of the IR towers, but they are usually two pieces (an in and an out) with separate power supplies...just place them in the appropriate locations.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #3

Thanks for the info and will be looking to test the hookups this week.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
My 2013 Canyon Star did not have a Connection for a Ground Satelite. I wa told that it was a option however Newmar Failed to put it on the option sheet.

I have since run a RG6 cable from the rear electrical cabinet, Along the Frame to the front engine compartment. From there I entered the Corner trim (remove the 4 or 5 screws) running the wire up to the cabinet above the Drivers seat. I came out of the ceiling about 2" from the AV cabinet and went into the side with the wire.

I could not fish into the ceiling to enter the AV cabinet from above.

I have since run a HDMI cable from the bedroom TV to this cabinet, using the same route.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My motorhome has a 15-year-old Winegard satellite on the roof that I can't seem to keep on a Dish signal, so most of the time I give up and set my Tailgater outside. Fortunately my coach seems to have cables run to all the correct places so hooking up the tailgater is painless. However, I'd like to get the satellite on the roof working, which probably means replacing it with something newer.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:46 PM   #6

Has anyone had success using a wireless audio/video transmitter

I found my Canyon Star is wired for Satellite but the install is in the rear cabinet and for a roof mount. I want to use my tailgater and wondered if there is anyway to bring the signal in down below with the cable/antenna connection to the LR TV and then use wireless transmitter to send to rear TV. My outside cabinet is wired with a cable/antenna connection, HDMI connection but no connection for "satellite". Trying to avoid any additional wiring.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, you can make this work.

Connect the Tailgater to the 211:
The Campground Cable TV wire in your coach will work fine to bring the raw SAT signal from the Tailgater (outside) to the SAT receiver (inside). BUT, you must move that cable from the video selector box at the inside end of the wire (entertainment console?) and reattach the coax to the "SAT input" on the 211. This wire/cable can have no switches or splitters in-line.

Connect 211 to the RV:
The 211 has 2 type outputs, "coax cable" and "HDMI". Both carry the signal output from the receiver all the time. If you connect both types of wires, the entire RV can get the feed from the 211 on either connection.

Warning:
Moving your cable TV wire removes your ability to just plug into campground cable TV (unless you do a bunch of other very complicated stuff)...but you will have your SAT, so who needs it

Best luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderwoman View Post
I found my Canyon Star is wired for Satellite but the install is in the rear cabinet and for a roof mount. I want to use my tailgater and wondered if there is anyway to bring the signal in down below with the cable/antenna connection to the LR TV and then use wireless transmitter to send to rear TV. My outside cabinet is wired with a cable/antenna connection, HDMI connection but no connection for "satellite". Trying to avoid any additional wiring.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Scarab - "you must move that cable from the video selector box at the inside end of the wire"

The Canyon Star does not have a video selector box. To change a TV to Sat. / cable / DVR etc. is done on each TV.

There are several different options, but I believe cable will need to be run.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:31 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
The Canyon Star does not have a video selector box. To change a TV to Sat. / cable / DVR etc. is done on each TV.

There are several different options, but I believe cable will need to be run.
OK, Thanks
...only slight edit, because there must therefore be a splitter for the campground cable to feed all the TV's - right?

"Connect the Tailgater to the 211:
The Campground Cable TV wire in your coach will work fine to bring the raw SAT signal from the Tailgater (outside) to the SAT receiver (inside). BUT, you must move that cable from the video selector box coax cable splitter at the inside end of the wire (entertainment console?) and reattach the coax to the "SAT input" on the 211. This wire/cable can have no switches or splitters in-line."

I can understand what the OP is trying to engineer. Adding cables without access to the in-wall chase can get complex and even ugly - so why not use existing cables?

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
The Cable for park cable goes from the outside electrical cabinet to the small outlet next to the passenger chair, 6" of the floor. When the power switch is on it powers the Antenna on the roof.

From here the cables split off to all of the TV's.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Here is what the box in the above thread looks like. Also the out on my receiver is HDMI only, not RG cable.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK...another BIG THANKS

What the heck is an outlet 6" off the passenger's floor used for?

As a side note, the 211K has Coax, Composite and HDMI outputs. All are active when in operation.

Is there any chance that (like many RV makers) the Newmar SAT prep package includes a second coax running from a bin to where a SAT receiver would sit?

If not...Me thinks CC is right. This requires a new cable

Best luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
The Cable for park cable goes from the outside electrical cabinet to the small outlet next to the passenger chair, 6" of the floor. When the power switch is on it powers the Antenna on the roof.

From here the cables split off to all of the TV's.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-20-2015, 07:05 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Scarab - " What the heck is an outlet 6" off the passenger's floor used for? "

I complained in Dec. 2012 to Newmar and their Leadership. This location is idiotic, hard to reach, hard to see if the green light is on ( park cable will not work if powered) and definitely is not the norm to the rest of the industry.

Sadly, the 2015 Newmar Coaches still have it in this location

YES....... no ground satellite cable placed either??? !!!!!! Option!!! Yet it was not on the option sheet.

I have placed a Ground Satellite cable and also a HDMI from the rear bedroom to the AV cabinet.

OH yeah....... when I paid well over $900 for HDMI cables, it did not include the rear bedroom.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:14 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Outlet is kind of hard to get at, but I like the idea of an outlet near the passenger seat, which we don't have. With the genny running, the DW would love to plug in her laptop or other electronic device while cruising down the highway.

I've never seen a 211 that's HDMI out only. Our 211z has COAX which makes it quite simple to connect it inline with all the coach TV's.