Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Loose passenger side rear view mirror

Driving back to Colorado from Ohio we encountered some strong winds. The passenger side rear view mirror came loose and turned itself and began leaning. I stopped and straightened it out and tightened down the three set screws at the base of the mirror. It held for a short time and I found myself stopping every couple of hours to reposition the mirror and tighten the screws. Has anyone seen this problem? Is there an easy fix without having to replace the mirror? 2014 Ventana LE 3634. Thanks in advance!
jimfh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
The set screws need to be VERY TIGHT to keep the mirror in position.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
we put lock washers on the base screws going thru the body,
then I really crank the set screws on the head of the mirror down with a long allen wrench.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Would it be advisable to use some lock-tite on those set screws?
Old 06-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here's a little secret...On my Monaco, they used screws that went through the fiberglass into the generator compartment. My passenger mirror loosened up about year 6. Rather than disassemble the mirror, I went into the gen compartment with a pair of vise grips. I grabbed the screws with vise grips and tighten them by grabbing the tips of the screws. They stayed tight after that.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:34 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I need to clarify that the arm that is mounted to the coach is not loose...it's the mirror housing where it mounts on to the end of the arm.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same problem. Final fix, bought three new set screws from Lowes. They had a better point at the end. Installed them and tightened really well. A year later, no more issues.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfh2o View Post
I need to clarify that the arm that is mounted to the coach is not loose...it's the mirror housing where it mounts on to the end of the arm.

We had the same problem with the mirror head on the passenger side of our Dutch Star. Used a 3/8 drive hinge handle with Allen bit to get better torque on the set screws. So far (3 years and over 30,000 miles) the mirror has stayed put. I suspect we'd need to replace those set screws if the problem reappears.
Happy travels!
dc3carl is offline   Reply With Quote