Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Loose SS Trim Around Left Headlight - 2016 Ventana LE

The SS trim around the top edge of the left headlight on my 2016 Ventana LE will not adhere to the headlight housing assembly as that trim bends "bends around the corner" of the housing. One of the Service Advisors at NIRV in Dallas told me to use 3M Super Strong Automotive Attachment tape --> https://www.autogeek.net/3m-03616.html --> which I found at an O'Reilly's Parts Store.

After removing old tape and cleaning the plastic headlight housing surface as SS trim surface, the 3M tape is not strong enough to hold the SS trim in place as it bends around the corner of the housing. It seems like the SS trim pieces is not "rolled" (bent) enough to conform to the headlight housing i.e. the trim piece "springs out" from the headlight housing.

This attached image shows the portion of the trim piece that will not adhere to the headlight housing. Any suggestions on what adhesive to use? Or should I try removing the entire trim piece, "roll" it tighter to reduce the "spring out" action and then re-attach.

Any advice from the forum would be most appreciated !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ventana Headlight Trim.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	252722  
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same issue on my Ventana on the left side only. I tried new tape several times with no luck. I decided to try silicone. I applied a generous bead of silicone. You'll have to find a way to apply pressure to the piece to keep it in the proper location while the silicone dries. It worked and is still holding after a year.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine is going into the shop next week for the same thing. Body shop super said he has been able to CAREFULLY apply some heat to aid bending the strip. Gotta be careful about blueing the SS, though. At the same time, he is going to reattach the trim strip between the rear cap and baggage door. One or more screws that attach the cap to the underlying tube steel framework are missing, allowing the cap to shift slightly, and pulling the trim strip loose.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #4

Mine came out on the driver's side within the first few months.

The first time I completely removed the whole piece and cleaned all the old 3m tape off. I slightly bent it more so there wasn't so much pressure on it. Used the heavy duty 3m tape to redo it that North Trail gave me. It held about 2 months and came out again.

Second round I let North Trail fix it. They put a whole new piece on. Lasted about 4 months and came out again.

Third time I took it completely off and cleaned everything spotless. Used 2-part epoxy and put it back in place. Used duct tape and small pieces of 3m tape to hold it in place for a few hours until epoxy set up. It has held for over a year now.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #5

I had loose trim around both of my headlights. I reglued them with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 last April and they are still glued (KOW).
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Below is the response I received from Newmar Owner Relations on how to "repair" the loose stainless steel trim above my left headlight. One weekend soon I'll carefully remove the trim piece, clean it and follow Newmar's suggestion. I'll let the forum know if this approach works.
==============================

Hello Mike,
Sorry you’re dealing with this issue, we have seen it happen before. The issue arose from initial installation during production, the pieces come to us completely flat and installed with the 3M tape. What we found happening was when the chrome piece heated up, it went back to its original shape. We were eventually able to get around this by “pre” bending the piece just slightly more than it needs to be and then installing the piece with new 3M tape. I’ve successfully repaired one myself doing this, please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Thank you and have a Great day!
Jeff

Jeff Johnson
Owner Relations
Newmar Corporation
1-800-731-8300
Customerservice@newmarcorp.com
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After removing, cleaning, and applying new tape to the strip, the body shop put a small stainless steel screw through the trailing edge of the strip and into the fiberglass underneath. Same on passenger side. Hardly see the screws from 10 ft away.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Below is the response I received from Newmar Owner Relations on how to "repair" the loose stainless steel trim above my left headlight. One weekend soon I'll carefully remove the trim piece, clean it and follow Newmar's suggestion. I'll let the forum know if this approach works.
==============================

Hello Mike,
Sorry you’re dealing with this issue, we have seen it happen before. The issue arose from initial installation during production, the pieces come to us completely flat and installed with the 3M tape. What we found happening was when the chrome piece heated up, it went back to its original shape. We were eventually able to get around this by “pre” bending the piece just slightly more than it needs to be and then installing the piece with new 3M tape. I’ve successfully repaired one myself doing this, please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Thank you and have a Great day!
Jeff

Jeff Johnson
Owner Relations
Newmar Corporation
1-800-731-8300
Customerservice@newmarcorp.com
Mike, as you can see by my original post on the subject that is how I generally repaired mine the final time. I always believed the correct bend and fit was the key however I never had any luck with 3m tape holding more than a few months. The 2-part epoxy (available at Lowe's, and other places) has held good so far.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:49 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Have the exact same problem, tried the double sided 3m trim tape used on my trim pieces on boats and cars just won't last.

I was going to wait to use liquid weld till I get home .

Mine is the left side same exact piece.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
3m makes a adhesive primer that a lot of us have used on solar installs that really makes the VHB tape stick, maybe worth a try.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Have the exact same problem, tried the double sided 3m trim tape used on my trim pieces on boats and cars just won't last.

I was going to wait to use liquid weld till I get home .

Mine is the left side same exact piece.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, ventana, vent, headlight