Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Loose Valve Stem Cores?

Today, I decided to remove the TPMS sensors on the coach. The manufacturer (EEZTIRE) says it preserves battery life if there's no pressure on the sensor.

Anyway, when I removed the second one, the valvestem continued to hiss air. I depressed the center pin a couple of times, but it wouldn't seal. On a whim, I grabbed my valvestem tool and checked for tightness; it was 3/4 turn loose. Same thing happened with five of the eight valvestems. All cores were 1/4 to 1 full turn loose. Obviously, I tightened them all and all leaking ceased...I hope.

I'm thinking that friction between the the center pin and the sensor base to pressurize the system caused the core's to loosen when I unscrewed them. Anyone else had this experience?

I'm wondering if the cores were not fully tightened when the tires were mounted and that contributed to the problem. I spent a few years working in a tire shop when going to college and we always firmly seated the cores. I never saw one work loose on its own, but we weren't using TPMS sensors in those days either.

Thoughts?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #2

I had same experience with outer dually both sides. Using Tire Minder sensors.
CLB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #3

Don't they recommend a little Never-Seize on the treads?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Don't they recommend a little Never-Seize on the treads?
Did that, but the problem is not that the sensor binds up on the valvestem threads, it apparently makes friction contact with the core rim where there's no anti-seize. I will try a little anti-seize on the base of the sensors when I reinstall them.

TJ
Old 01-12-2019, 07:13 PM   #5

This would be either a Spartan or FL issue. Newmar gets the chassis with tires already on chassis. Which chassis do you have?
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #6

I had same issue Jim, on 2 of my 8 tires.
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #7

Yup. Been there. My old coach had a valve core and a separate valve stem that were not fully seated, so when I took delivery of our DSDP, I checked them all. Found 2 out of 8 valve cores not fully tightened. Interestingly it was both of the inside duals, and this was pre-installation of my TST system. All stems were fine.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:23 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Funny timing. Coming home from our New Years trip, my TST inside dual alarm sounded and the pressure began counting down. I was losing 3 pounds a minute. Figured I must have a big bolt in the tire. I pulled over and found nothing in the tire. I pulled the sensor, checked the pressure and it was fine. After talking to TST and then later trying the sensor on different tires, I checked the core and it was almost a full turn lose. Next time I check pressures, I guess I will hit all the cores.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #9

We've had the EEZTire system on ours for about a year and a half without a problem. I did change the batteries a couple of weeks ago just to be safe, and the old ones still measured in the 2.85 volt range. They're 3 volt batteries, so being on them non-stop for 18 months didn't seem to run them down much. But ... then ... I don't know how low is too low. Batteries aren't that expensive or hard to replace, so I'm just planning to replace them every year or so.

FWIW, I checked the pressures on ours when we first got it, and one of the rears continued to leak pressure from the stem after I removed the pressure gauge. I tried tightening it, and that didn't help. So I removed it, and there was a very tiny shred of what appeared to be plastic stuck in the valve. I got it out, and all's been fine since.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I will try a little anti-seize on the base of the sensors when I reinstall them.

TJ[/QUOTE]

Not sure I would try this. The air pressure might push anti-seize into the sensor and plugging it. My thoughts.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
Not sure I would try this. The air pressure might push anti-seize into the sensor and plugging it. My thoughts.
I was wondering about that possibility. Was just thinking that a very light film might help. I'm inclined to just check the valve cores whenever I take the sensors off.

TJ
Old 01-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #12
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
This would be either a Spartan or FL issue. Newmar gets the chassis with tires already on chassis. Which chassis do you have?
Newmar Man
Well, I don't know about that, Tom. It is my understanding that the bare chassis comes from the manufacturer (either Freightliner or Spartan) on steel delivery wheels. Newmar then installs the aluminum wheels at the conclusion of the build. I may be wrong, but that's what I've been told.

Don't know who mounts the tires on the aluminum rims; Newmar or a vendor? Regardless, this is not a Freightliner vs Spartan issue in my view.

Just for the record, our 2018 MADP 4047 was only available on the Spartan chassis.

TJ
Old 01-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #13

We have been to the factory 14 times mostly to visit not service and Spartan factory 6 times. Every chassis either from FL or Spartan comes with the tires and wheels you get when you get your coach. We have even complained to Newmar because we had a lot of clear coat on our 18 London Aire wheels. As a big support of Spartan I think this time they should be checking by Spartan for the valve stems before Newmar gets the chassis.One small down for Spartan. Did a seminar at a FMCA rally and a Tiffin owner at FL chassis that the tires were almost 3 years old using the date code on the tires. Always like to share with owners how important date codes are on tires. For us it's 6 years and their gone. Also important when purchasing tires to check date code because that the time when for us the date starts for the 6 years.
Have had 2 tire failures in our 350K on class A travel so we know how important tires are o on our coaches. To read date codes find on one side of the tire the 4 numbers like 2114. That tire was built on the 21 week of 2014.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:32 PM   #14
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Interesting, Tom. I just reviewed a bunch of photos of our coach in various stages of construction and they all showed it sitting on black wheels. It was delivered with polished aluminum wheels. Can you help me understand that?

TJ

Tags
valve