Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2023, 09:12 AM   #1

Loss of comfort steer

My Ventana 3426 (Spartan) comfort steer has dropped offline 4 times when I have been on rough roads. It reverts to no power steering. it recovers after pulling mini fuse in basement and resetting, I discovered on my own that a shutdown/restart on engine
also works. Anyone ever had this problem?
caprob777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2023, 08:29 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
The comfort steer stopped working on my Ventana 3332 last month. It was working fine when I parked the coach but would not work a few days later. I have tried all the restart
methods without luck. It's my understanding that after 5 issues it will self destruct just like on Mission Impossible. The entire steering column needs to be replaced when that happens. So good luck with yours!
Jason181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:58 PM   #3

1. For both of you, knowing the year of your coach will help figure out what is happening. There are two different Comfort Drives.

2. If the CD shuts off, the steering reverts to the same normal hydraulic power steering that everybody else has all the time.
Old 06-13-2023, 09:58 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Loss of comfort steer

Ken, I have a 2008 Ventana with what I believe is the first generation without a control knob. Never had a problem before. Parked the coach for a few days and started it to find the loss of the comfort steer. Tried to reboot the system with the help of Spartan techs, but nothing worked.
I'm not sure that they can find a replacement unit since it's the first generation.
Jason181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 03:40 PM   #5

I have no idea where to find older units. The diagnostic program that I normally recommend for testing won't work on those units either. I hadn't thought of it yet and it could not be made compatible with the older unit. The old units simply didn't have any code to talk with external devices yet. You might try the hotline at 1 (800) 879-0899. You'll probably have to leave a message and they'll get back to you. As far as I know, they always do.
Old 06-13-2023, 04:52 PM   #6

Mine stops every time I hit a big bump. I just shut the engine off and it is fine with the exception of the warning light on the dash. That will only go away if the ignition is off over night. It's been that way since day one. Newmar told me to take it to Freightliner, but I never got around to it. 2022 Kountry Star.
mattdewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 11:24 AM   #7

You also might try the hotline at 1 (800) 879-0899. You'll probably have to leave a message and they'll get back to you. As far as I know, they always do.