Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2022, 01:45 PM   #1

Loud Air Pop / Snap Coming from Front Right Brake?

Took our coach out for some exercise today, as I try to ensure it gets driven at least once every 2-3 weeks. Next trip isn't until 6/8.

After about 10 miles or so, I heard a loud air POP when I applied the brakes. It did it again 2 more times, and then seemed to go away. However, I did not drive it very far after it started. Sounds like it was coming from the front right brake area.

Brakes worked fine, and the coach did not pull with brakes applied.

Hoping there is some sort of pressure relief valve that I have not heard before? Any ideas?

I am going to under there tomorrow to inspect the air lines, etc.

Thanks.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2022, 01:58 PM   #2
Official iRV2 Sponsor

You can have something going on with the slack adjuster on the brake chamber. I would inspect the S cam.
We just had an Entegra customer and his gen slide did not work. He heard a loud pop in the air suspension and then his gen slide started working. Check the norgren valves on the firewall and if you continue to hear the popping, need to get an authorized service center for repair.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
You can have something going on with the slack adjuster on the brake chamber. I would inspect the S cam.
We just had an Entegra customer and his gen slide did not work. He heard a loud pop in the air suspension and then his gen slide started working. Check the norgren valves on the firewall and if you continue to hear the popping, need to get an authorized service center for repair.
Bobby: Thanks for the reply. Can you clarify what I should look for on the front disc brake? Also, I was disappointed to find that 2 of my air lines on the driver's side were wrapped around a bolt / bracket. The blue line in the picture is almost worn through and completely pinched. I think there is enough slack in it to where I can cut it and reconnect.

What does the mechanism do in the 2nd picture? Does it move / actuate somehow or is it stationary? Also, do you know what this blue and yellow line run to / operate?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Line.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	366629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Lines 2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	366630  

Old 05-26-2022, 09:22 AM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

That’s a ride height valve. The hoses are pushed into quick connect fittings. If you have enough slack, remove them and cut back the bad part and push back into the connectors. If not, get 1/4” air line quick connect couplers and cut out the bad area and push back together. Make sure you secure those so that rod doesn’t make contact with them anymore. The rod moves up and down and is what tells the air bags to inflate or deflate.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
That’s a ride height valve. The hoses are pushed into quick connect fittings. If you have enough slack, remove them and cut back the bad part and push back into the connectors. If not, get 1/4” air line quick connect couplers and cut out the bad area and push back together. Make sure you secure those so that rod doesn’t make contact with them anymore. The rod moves up and down and is what tells the air bags to inflate or deflate.
Thanks!!!
Old 05-26-2022, 09:30 AM   #6

You KNOW that lever is going to rip the yellow line loose don't you !
Zip tie the yellow and blue lines AWAY from the sensing lever !!!!!
Old 05-26-2022, 10:42 AM   #7

Quote:
And the "after" photo. I will check to ensure the rod end no longer contacts or can hook the hoses next time I run it. Thanks again for your quick help on this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Air Lines After.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	366636  
Old 05-26-2022, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Yes indeed. I had to remove the rod in order to get the yellow line untangled. Took the photo before I did that.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The arm/rod moves as you drive down the road and will move when you dump air. The air lines need to be secured away from the arm/rod.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:49 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Holy cow, that’s messed up. Amazing. Headed out to look at mine now. Sheesh.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
That was a good catch! I looked right at that picture and I missed it! Maybe its time to get my eyes checked!!!!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Holy cow, that’s messed up. Amazing. Headed out to look at mine now. Sheesh.
Let us know what you find.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:43 PM   #13

UPDATE

Took the coach for a test drive, and I did not get the loud pop sound - hoping that was a fluke.

My initial reroute of the air lines did not work for the yellow line. The ride height arm goes to horizontal at ride height, and it was right back to grabbing the yellow line.

I was actually tempted to "reverse" the L-shaped arm to gain more clearance, but I did not want to change the geometry too much.

I ended up doing 2 things that should do the trick. 1) I ran the ball studs all the way out, so the back of the bolt would not catch the lines. 2) I removed a large wire tie that was used to secure the lines to a frame bolt, allowing me to move the lines closer to the frame.

Glad I caught this, as it could have led to a major breakdown and a tow.

See pics...

As a side note, I believe the blue line that was severely pinched had something to do with my dump valve. The bags dumped much faster when I hit Auto Level this last time.

Now I need to find the one for the rear suspension, so I can check it! Anyone know exactly where it is?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Air Line Issue 2nd.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	366651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Line Bolt.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	366652  

Name:	Air Line Bolt 2.jpg