Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2021, 01:19 PM   #1

Low Coolant Light

i was driving my 2020 Ventana when the "low coolant" light came on (yellow). I stopped asap and turned off the engine, go out and looked around the coach for signs of leaking cooland, nothing. When i restarted the coach the light and icon (again yellow), did not light again. Coolant level is good. Any ideas what might have caused this?
Trimble T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2021, 01:28 PM   #2

Hello,
There is a sensor mounted in most overflow bottles that monitors your coolant level. You said your coolant level was fine, but there should be markings on the overflow container as to where the coolant should be both when the motor is cold and when it is warm. If it is within this range then it is possible that the sensor is bad or their could be a problem with the wiring connection to the sensor .Hope this helps.
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:15 AM   #3

I had the low coolant light come on. Coolant level was good. Turned out to be the low coolant sensor that is mounted in the expansion tank. Installed a new sensor. It will derate the engine if not corrected per Freightliner.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:22 PM   #4

if you continue to drive with the low coolant on it will shut you down it did me on a Friday rush hour not fun, with my been a 450 location maybe different, my has a switch in the lower part of coolant reservoir, Spartan told me to disconnect and drive I did and replaced no more issues.

Zzotte
zzotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdnash View Post
I had the low coolant light come on. Coolant level was good. Turned out to be the low coolant sensor that is mounted in the expansion tank. Installed a new sensor. It will derate the engine if not corrected per Freightliner.
That is correct, I used to work on these types of motors and occassionally to get the vehicle back to the shop for repair we would bypass this sensor by taking a paper clip and sticking it in both ends of the wired portion to bypass the sensor so the engine would not derate. Of course this was just a temporary fix and we had to make sure there was enough antifreeze in the system so it would not overheat.
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:05 AM   #6

Low Coolant Light

As I stated in my post, I stopped to look for a leak and turned off the engine. When I restarted the engine the low coolant light did not come on and has not since. When I spoke with Freightliner they told me since the warning was yellow and the light had gone out on its own the problem probably corrected itself.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:01 AM   #7

That’s great, but if you have rving for while you know nothing “fixes it self” LOL I would buy the switch and keep it in tool box with the others “just in case” items hahaha

Zzotte
zzotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:40 AM   #8

Low coolant light

Good idea. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:23 PM   #9

Coolant Light

I have ordered a spare sensor. I have also watched a video of a sensor being changed on a conventional cab truck. Looks like a 1" socket, 1" open end wrench and a pair of channel lockes might do the job. Has anyone had experience actually changing the coolant level sensor on a freightliner with a rear radiator, i.e., how difficlut it is to access the area where the sensor is located etc.?

Thanks

Tom Trimble

Tags
light