Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2022, 06:17 AM   #1

Low miles OK on '19 MADP?

Traveling to see a 2019 Mountain Aire with less than 10,000 miles on it. Our current 2008 MADP has 173,000 on it and we know everything about it since bought new. Concerned that the 2019 with low mileage has been lightly used, for sale the past 6 months and not driven much. We're full-timers and hope to stay on the road maybe 5 more years or so. Not sure if we should keep the '08 or buy the '19. What would you do?

Ideas and opinions much appreciated..

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2022, 06:41 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
If it was me. Seeing it is only 4 years old I would go look at it see if it is in good shape. Talk to the po see if he has had it maintained with records. Look at every square inch of the coach. If it looks good make a deal on the coach contigebt on a inspection from a reputable inspector. The mileage doesn't bother me 10000 miles for that year comes to a out 2500 miles a year.

My current coach is a 2005 Georgetown xl 370 with 20000 miles on it. We bought it just under two months ago from a dealer. I looked at it from top to bottom. I did my due diligence on the unit. Took oil samples had tested before deal. While looking the unit over I found the name of the previous owner with address. I called them and asked them about why they got rid of the coach to the dealer and was told they got rid of because the Jaguar dealer down by them gave them a good trade deal for it on a jag. They also told me they had all the maintence records for the unit. So I made my offer and got the coach.
2019 - 2022:1996 National Sea Breeze
It's been a 2 year restore project.
SeaBreazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Traveling to see a 2019 Mountain Aire with less than 10,000 miles on it. Our current 2008 MADP has 173,000 on it and we know everything about it since bought new. Concerned that the 2019 with low mileage has been lightly used, for sale the past 6 months and not driven much. We're full-timers and hope to stay on the road maybe 5 more years or so. Not sure if we should keep the '08 or buy the '19. What would you do?

Ideas and opinions much appreciated..
That’s probably pretty normal mileage considering the COVID year. I certainly would be happy with the mileage unless you said the coach was 10 years or so old.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:57 AM   #4

We purchased (In Feb 2022) a 2018 NA3343 on freightliner chassis. It had 3400 miles on it when we picked it up. A tad under 6k now.

As I should have expected we are having all the issues you probably would have experienced back in 2018.

I think the biggest issue we've had has been DEF head failure and no recall work done.

Im not upset per-se that we've struggled and I do hope we have it all straight now. I'd probably do it again. We saved a significant amount over new and essentially have a new rig

Headed to oregon for a month. We will be sure to know where the freightliner dealers are ... just in case.

Good luck.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
What’s wrong with your current coach that you know so well?

Want to risk spending time sorting out all the issues with something else when you could be traveling. If it’s not warranty work you could have a hard time getting service anywhere.

I’d think hard about a trade.
mtflybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:52 AM   #6

Thanks for all the input. We’ve decided, at least for now, to stay with what we have, our trusty faithful 2008 MADP. Your collective input helped us reach the decision and it is appreciated.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:22 AM   #7

Not hard to understand wanting to maybe upgrade. Some of the newer coaches have a lot of things we like but….I think keeping your current one is wise.
I’ve met a few folks that have gutted their “older” coach with new amenities, decor, features, etc.
Might ask that question and see what results you get. Certainly less money out of pocket.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:24 AM   #8

Thanks for all of your input. We looked at the 2019 coach. It was nice but surprisingly different from our 08 in terms of overall quality (furniture, wood, door materials, windows, etc). But all of that is not a big deal. I think the biggest obstacle for us was the fact that a four year old, 8000 mile coach had NO service done with the exception of an oil change a few years ago. As the salesman said "why should we put money into this if it's not broken." So, we walked.