RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to DSRamblers Send a message via MSN to DSRamblers Send a message via Yahoo to DSRamblers
low water pressure

The campground I am at has terrible water pressure. I know it is not my coach because the water pressure was fine at the last campground. Will it hurt to run the water pump while connected to city water since that helps the pressure somewhat????

DSRamblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I leave the pump on all the time. If the coach needs it, it uses it. If the "city" or park water is sufficient, it doesn't operate. So there is no real reason to turn it off unless you're doing something to the water lines.

BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #3

low water pressure

Does it pull from the tank when the pump is on and the shore water is on? Does it use both extending you tank?
SteveCrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCrowell View Post
Does it pull from the tank when the pump is on and the shore water is on? Does it use both extending you tank?
It pumps from the fresh tank. It will use whichever has the most pressure, so if you don't want to use your fresh even though the city is low pressure, you can turn the pump off and put up with the low pressure to conserve fresh. Make sense?
Old 08-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #5

When we use the shower we turn on the water pump to get a little better pressure if needed. It won't hurt anything, just check your water tank level and add water as needed, as it will pull water from your fresh water tank. I don't leave the water pump on all the time as there is really no need to and if somebody leaves a valve open slightly and you leave for the day or extended period of time you could have a problem. In our MH there is a switch for the water pump at every location there is a faucet, so no big deal to turn on/off. I also shut the city water supply off when we leave for the day or extended period of time.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
If you haven't already done so, I recommend changing the water filter. Even though all seemed fine at the other campground, the pressure seems to get worse suddenly when the filter reaches a critical level of obstruction. If you don't have a replacement, see how the pressure is without any filter so you'll at least know if that's the culprit.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Turning the city water off when leaving is a great idea Mike. Wish there was a way to make it easier than going out to the pedestal.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #8

One thing to remember when comparing pressure is to keep in mind is the flow rate (GPM). You can have a high pressure and low flow depending on restrictions. Could be in the source, the filters, or in the rv. Look at the pressure at the faucet and then time how long it take to fill a bucket.
SteveCrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #9

I figure it only takes a minute to do it, but could take hours to clean up a mess if something was left on. I always used to leave it on until one day when a MH in the same CG we were staying in had water leaking out of it, all over the place. The people were gone for the day and one of their kids had left a faucet partially open, the water filled the holding tank, and then was spilling out onto the floors, and out of the MH. They came back several hours later and were happy that it had been seen and the water was shut off.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Turning the city water off when leaving is a great idea Mike. Wish there was a way to make it easier than going out to the pedestal.
I was a little bored this winter so I did a remodel on my wet bay. Valves to control fresh water and black tank rinse. Pressure regulator with 5/8" hose. Clear bowl for the filter so I can see the filter condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0462.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	173468  
Old 08-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice looking job, but I'm very leary of tying the fresh and black lines together unless you have a foolproof backflow preventer. It may be just me...
Old 08-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJOL View Post
Nice looking job, but I'm very leary of tying the fresh and black lines together unless you have a foolproof backflow preventer. It may be just me...
Besides the T Handle valve, there is a vacuum breaker valve on the fresh water line to the tank. In addition, I have a check valve at the connection after the T Handle valve.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Our fresh water tank has an overflow pipe and a "bladder" at the end, not sure what it's called, but it's a rubber piece that is normally closed. Anyway, why couldn't we have one of those on both the grey and black? Might eliminate a disaster...
Old 08-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Our fresh water tank has an overflow pipe and a "bladder" at the end, not sure what it's called, but it's a rubber piece that is normally closed. Anyway, why couldn't we have one of those on both the grey and black? Might eliminate a disaster...
Fresh water spilling on the ground is is not a problem but I think there would be some conern with raw sewage spilling from your rig.

Tags
water, water pressure