Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #1

M & G Engineering

From all the fine comments on the forums concerning M & G engineering's supplemental braking system, I am leaning heavily towards getting it. But, I have a concern that I don't know if anyone has discussed. In the unlikely (but, possible) of a catastrophic failure, is anyone concerned with the company's financially ability. I.E. lack of deep pockets. It is possible to have an event that is caused by a product. Personally, I would feel much better if the product was manufactured by a company with deep pockets. Although I must admit I know little to nothing about M&G's financials, from their website, they appear to be mom and pop. I may be over thinking this. At least with a Roadmaster, you know they're big enough to handle any potential liability. Just curious if anyone has thoughts on this ?
Jeffreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #2

Call and ask to see their liability coverage. Do you carry insurance yourself? I would hope your insurance would cover your losses. It's up to your insurance to try to recover their payment to you.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I think you are on thin ice if you think you'll collect from any dealer or manufacturer for any liability.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #4

I absolutely do have insurance. It just seems when interjecting a "braking" system, that is so critical to safety, one needs to be careful to ensure the product is backed by a financially sound company. just wanted to see if anyone had thought about this before such a critical desicion is made. Perhaps not. Again, maybe I am over thinking this.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The bottom line in an accident is EVERYONE GONNA GET SUED! It is up to the individual owner to protect themselves. We carry the mandatory liability insurance required by Florida Law. But we also have a multi dollar umbrella policy. When our Liability insurance is exhausted the umbrella kicks in and when those limits are exhausted we'll be in the poor house.

The MH builder, the brake mfg, anyone who ever worked on the MH. They'll be looking for deep pockets. All of them are going to have big Law Firms representing them or they'll just quietly shut their doors and disappear. Only to open again under another name and corporation. So, protect yourself, don't for a minute think that any MFG is going to cover your butt! safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #6

Interesting question Jeffreys. Very interesting. I'm not so sure you could collect from anyone unless you could prove conclusively the product they made caused the problem. Most items you buy the warranty provided states they will cover the cost of the item, but NOT any resulting damages. Weather or not that holds legal water I'm sure not qualified to say. I know when my coach burnt to the ground it sure looked like the refrigerator was the cause, and I know the insurance company talked about going after the refrigerator manufacturer, but then I never received any feedback on weather they collected or not. And that was definitely a "catastrophic failure" if I ever saw one.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #7

Thanks EdAllSails,

Your response is well received. I hear you !
Old 01-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Everybody sueing everybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreys View Post
From all the fine comments on the forums concerning M & G engineering's supplemental braking system, I am leaning heavily towards getting it. But, I have a concern that I don't know if anyone has discussed. In the unlikely (but, possible) of a catastrophic failure, is anyone concerned with the company's financially ability. I.E. lack of deep pockets. It is possible to have an event that is caused by a product. Personally, I would feel much better if the product was manufactured by a company with deep pockets. Although I must admit I know little to nothing about M&G's financials, from their website, they appear to be mom and pop. I may be over thinking this. At least with a Roadmaster, you know they're big enough to handle any potential liability. Just curious if anyone has thoughts on this ?
First off, do you worry about this with everything you buy in your life?
50 years ago folks did not sue for every little thing, today...anything happens.....sue them!!, and we sit and wonder about todays insurance rates of all types????
Out of all the supplemental braking systems that are offered today, the M&G system (in my opinion) is the least system to fail by design. If you have looked at how it is built and operates and understand it operation by design, there is nothing to fail while "driving" your auto, being a straight through push rod(just like factory) to the master cylinder. If something was to fail while towing.......nothing happens other than brake loss just like all others. The air activated air force one is another wonderful braking system with little chance of failure I think.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:48 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jeffreys ... when we were first looking at brake systems I was also leaning towards the M&G ... but decided to get a portable system (a BrakeBuddy) since I tow both of our Jeeps and only wanted to buy one system. So far it has worked great.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Years driving a class A: Well I got it in may 2005
Years on these forums.. I likely joined that summer
Years on RV forums total (I started on the RV forum on compuserve, back when Compuserve was really compuserve and owned by H&R Block, alas to day it's AOL web properties).

Number of failures I have heard of on the M&G braking system: ZERO

Number of failures on OTHER brake systems: MANY. including one I tell myself. (Due to poor installation).

I would not worry about it.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I've had the M&G system on two different trucks in 7 years with zero issues. I had a Roadmaster Evenbrake system installed professionally on a new truck and in a 1000 mile trip south one fall it ruined both front brakes and rotors. I discovered the brake activated whenever the brake lights came on while using the exhaust brake so it smoked the brakes on long down grades. I like the M&G system b/c it's proportional and virtually fail safe. I installed my system myself and you can too if you can read and have a few tools. I can hook up my M&G brake in 5 seconds or less which is one big advantage. I realize my brake can only be used on certain vehicles but for me that didn't matter b/c I took if off 2008 model truck and installed it on my current vehicle. You mention concern about the company having deep pockets and could they cover liabilities, well can you say Monaco? I would rather have M&G fail as Monaco so you never know.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreys View Post
I absolutely do have insurance. It just seems when interjecting a "braking" system, that is so critical to safety, one needs to be careful to ensure the product is backed by a financially sound company. just wanted to see if anyone had thought about this before such a critical desicion is made. Perhaps not. Again, maybe I am over thinking this.
I think you are.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #13

Based on my experience, M&G was the best toad braking system I have owned. No problems at all.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #14

One thing to remember about M&G system. It is made to fit your tow car. If you switch toads, M&G will buy back the original cylinder for $185 credit toward the new cylinder for your new toad.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote