Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #239
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
After owning two previous Newmars with chassis problems on Ford chassis and money put in to correct the heavy Newmar box on them I thought my new 03 would be a piece of cake with a better chassis which could carry the Newmar box, it was.
Like John I would go through out all my coach's electrical system's, cabinet hardware, doors, jacks, batteries.
Would find loose wiring in load centers, batteries, leaking jacks, poorly designed air intake system, having engine power downs from water ingestion, etc,etc.
I just considered its the small stuff but who needs that aggravation.
You get everything ready to roll and have a pipe fall out of toilet flange while on trip through Canada.
Didn't notice for a day until the smell was over powering.
Took a look down the hole and saw half moon of toilet paper starring at me.
Sure new what the problem was than and when we pulled into a camp ground the owner had PVC ELECTRICAL power poles.
Owner was very helpful with supplies.
Its not fun I know what your going through every coach I owned never saw a dealer after I bought it was only Newmar for warranty stuff or adds I may have put in.
All your problems should be noted and the list should be gone over by the factory personal even items you may have thought were fixed by a dealer to make sure its done right.
It will be interesting to note if the factory is aware of some of the problems, if maybe they are following some of your lengthy threads with the many fix's done in your coach's and problems coming to them for fixing.
We all have our personal preferences in our life, mine has been trouble shooting phone systems & installations and electrical systems, Law I leave that to my Paralegal daughter.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #240

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I added to my list the rust issues that John, Steve, and others have been documenting.
redbaron73 ... really glad you added this item to your list. You will be at Nappanee about a month before I get there, so will really be interested to learn how they addressed this issue for you. Hopefully all I will have to say is ... "I'll take the same thing that redbaron73 got" !!

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #241

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Deek / Master Toilet Mechanic!

So ... a la Ma Snart, Deek is fuming, but waiting patiently for Newmar to call back after they reach Thetford to figure out why DW's toilet in rear of coach has decided not to flush and to angrily display its various warning lights at us when we try to get it back in line. Bowl will fill, but toilet will not flush no matter what we do (we tried everything in the book as well as all recommendations we had on iRV2 from people a lot smarter and wiser than us). But Deek has remembered vividly 007's admonition to be polite, and not angry or rude, in dealing with this.

No call back from Newmar by end of day yesterday, first full day of toilet misbehavior. With no call back by end of day, fuming temp gets turned up a notch or two and Deek has full Ma Snart frustration headed his way by the time he wakes up this morning. Call to Newmar Customer Service gets a young lady who says that Newmar has in fact called Thetford who says that "customer needs to: (1) clean the bowl with six second push of flush button to emergency flush and re-start system; (2) remove and replace fuse to see if system restarts; (3) replace entire switch assembly if the above does not work".

Nice to tell us!!

So we make an appointment with Newmar to drive back to Nappanee from Grand Haven and cut our camping trip short to get the toilet fixed (and we were supposed to be really, really glad that they could squeeze us in on Friday morning -- but of course with the understanding that if the toilet required parts, we would have to stay over the weekend and into next week till the parts arrived).

Well Deek had enough Ma Snart fuming going on by that point that he decided before getting off the phone with Newmar to ask for the name of the Thetford customer service rep who gave the advice so that in the unlikely event that the Thetford CSR person could be found and talked to, perhaps, just perhaps, he could suggest something for Deek to do with his extremely limited mechanical ability to try to re-set the toilet and make it obey Jo Jo once again.

Well guess what? For once, it all happened pretty much as hoped for! Deek was able to reach Thetford and although the customer service rep that had talked to Newmar was not available, a truly cracker jack young woman who knows these things in and out says -- "Mr. Deek, your problem is in the impeller and if you will listen carefully to me and do what I say in removing four screws that hold the toilet down and another eight screws that will open the impeller housing, you will be able to clean it all out and you will be back in business again".

When someone puts it that way, I tend to listen and this time I did.

Questions posed by Mr. Deek forthwith to the Thetford girl were the following: (1) Can a dumb trial lawyer -- not a Ma Snart or PDR John or Skmwalden or Redbaron73, mind you -- really be trusted to do this? (2) Are you sure it is the problem you say it is? (3) What would have caused it? (4) Will the motor home blow up if I screw this up? (5) Will I be thoroughly embarrassed to relate the story of all this to my Hootmates later?

Answers: (1) Snart, PDR, Steve and Baron would be able to all do this blindfolded with their respective DW's holding their hands behind their backs, but yes, you, ninny lawyer, can also manage it if you listen carefully to me and do what I say; (2) and (3) Yes, of course it is the problem I say it is -- you might know medical malpractice law, but I know toilets and DW is using toilet paper that has too much fiber in it to withstand the strength of the impeller we put in these things; (4) The MH is not going to blow up if you undertake this operation yourself (at least not now); (5) You're on your own with the Hoots. If they think enough of you, they will still allow you to finish your organizing of this year's event and if they really like you, they might possibly want you back for next year's Roost -- but don't go to the bank on that just yet.

So emboldened by her admonition, I got the tools out from under the beast, Jo Jo laid out the field for the surgeon to begin the operation and away we went (Will Ackerman on the bedroom radio soothing my nerves).

Damn thing was a piece of cake!!! The cheeky Thetford girl was right about everything. Everything.

Here are the dirty details in case you feel you need them: Shut off water pump (learned the hard way); remove four white anchor screws on sides of toilet which hold toilet in place on floor (two screws on each side, all use same allen wrench to remove); when anchor screws are removed, go behind the toilet where the gizzard and all the other pieces and parts are located; save the gizzard but label and disconnect five quick release snap together plastic pieces which put the wiring harnesses together: (1) "Mid tank" wire; (2) "Full tank" wire; (3) "Plus" sign wire that goes to power source; (4) "Wall switch" wire; (5) unlabeled two wire white plastic connector that seems to go to water pump -- one of a kind and can't be screwed up and go somewhere else; unscrew compression clamp on black hose which in turn feeds into black water drain tube; unscrew white plastic coupling which supplies water to the toilet (can be done by hand with firm and strong grip); take care with not pinching any of the wires, plastic quick release clips, black water hose and white water supply line (and don't forget to leave the gizzard in place); move toilet out from wall so you can see into the back of it and get ready for surgery; unscrew eight Phillips head screws which hold the impeller housing in place (make sure DW holds the LED flashlight just so when doing this so that you can get screwdriver on the screws without burring the heads -- something my Dad from Heaven will get mad as heck at me if I do); then open up the impeller housing, see exactly how toilet paper with too much fiber will stop this whole toilet experience dead in its tracks; remove all over-fibrous toilet paper (in various states of decomposition and smell); be very, very nice to DW holding the very large LED flashlight and assure her repeatedly that this is just "one of those things" and could happen to anybody; turn up music; clean up mess created; take ten minute break to get breath back; put all things you know nothing about back together very, very carefully, going every bit as slow as you drive MH when you go to too narrow dump station and wonder how in the hell you are going to get through it without taking out one of the slides or one of the exterior mirrors; turn on water pump to get water to system again after surgery; flush toilet and find that, unbelievably, the Thetford girl was right about it all; congratulate DW for such terrific help in solving this huge problem; call Newmar to cancel emergency Friday appointment; get long, hot shower in CG after-surgical suite; open beer (actually maybe two) and be sure to thank Ma Snart for looking over our shoulders all the way.

That's it, folks, the down and dirty, the whole enchilada.

I am actually not headed to engineering school now, just because I pulled this off without the calamity I figured surely would follow it; no, I am going to just remain humble, doing trial law work for a few more months until I retire and then call it a day.

But don't go thinking that I am in the category of getting invited back to to the Hoots gathering next year because of waiver due to this spectacular achievement. Why not? Because, as you can guess, I failed to take pictures!!!! Steve Morrison, for one, is bitterly disappointed in me, and I fully understand it and told him so. So if the vote comes for Deek for Hoots next year, keep Morrison out of the voting loop.

Anyhow, it all had a very safe landing and I feel like one of you fine engineers, at least for today.

So Ma and Red, sometimes -- every once in a Blue Moon -- the little guy wins one and that's how it went today. Neither Newmar nor Thetford got the better of us despite their great effort to convince us that something so complicated could not be fixed except at the factory by the use of big bucks!

Cheers --

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #242

Well done Deek! I think your descriptions were graphic enough! We didn't need any pictures.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #243

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBob View Post
Well done Deek! I think your descriptions were graphic enough! We didn't need any pictures.
I agree. Well done.

And a big hug for your ready assistant. You of all people should know from working with your dad that holding the light is tedious work. It is difficult to know when and where to keep the light properly focused. Without our assistants, we would be working in the dark.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #244

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Deek:

First of all, Thank you for NOT POSTING PICTURES. Your documentation of the fix is very good, and I will keep this one handy.

You had me laughing very hard just reading this, and then I got the shudders..thinking I am next. With 4 kids + DW using rolls of TP by the day (not really but feels like it), I am sure I will be doing this surgery someday. Already found a GI Joe in the toilet, caused a very loud rucuss, and the 6 year old came out looking sheepish. That was nothing to fix in comparison to what you just described.

I am going to take a shower now...just reading that was visual enough!
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #245

Wow! So you turn out to be the sandbagger mechanic, Deek - LOL!

On your posts you act like your not sure which end of the screw driver to use to hammer in nails with - LOL!

I am very impressed with you not giving up but pursuing Thetford until you found somebody who knew enough to help, taking on a repair that is not very simple with all the steps involved and for sure not a very pleasant one, and finally your detailed, visual, description (with thankfully some parts left out) about the whole process. Your write up was clear enough that I would now fell comfortable tackling the job myself.

You certainly deserved that shower and beer!

Thanks for sharing how you conquered your latest "new experiance" - LOL!

Ma Snart
Ma Snart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #246

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Deek..... Congratulations on your impressive victory over recalcitrant machinery. Your sense of accomplishment will carry you to heights undreamed as you embark on your full-time pursuit of Motorhome Nirvana.

Do not feel remiss re your lack of pictures. Your picturesque prose has given this old airplane driver enough eye-scrunching mental images to last a while!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #247

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Boy Deek … this is quite a story. On 2nd thought, after reading it I think I agree with the others about “no pictures needed". But I do have a couple follow-up questions.
  • After you got it all reassembled … were there any “extra parts” left over that you determined were not really needed after all ... so you just put them in a drawer?
  • At Camping World they have the cheap really thin TP and also a thicker more expensive brand. We have used both in our "facility”. I have also heard people say that these types of toilets can even handle the residential house TP as well. We have never used any of the residential stuff. So to the critical question … without incriminating anybody too much, what level of paper was actually “in use” that contributed to this situation? Also if you need to sell some TP at the Hoots Gathering for half price ... I think there may be a "Brand X" rally right down the street.
All I can say "in closing" is that … “you’re sure living the RV dream”.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #248

Wow this thread has had us laughing and crying, seeing eager anticipation and bitter disappointment.

So much better then Cats.

Great write up Deek.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #249

Deek,
You are my new hero! I told Lisa she had to read this post for herself because there is no way she could get a proper flavor for it from any paraphrase I might have done. I'm sure there will be some interesting TP discussion around the circle at the Roost.
NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original)
dpeterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #250

Deek, you are too funny! I know in the same situation, I'd be removing the toilet and DH holding the flashlight would have left soon after that! Guess I'd need one of those flashlights you can strap on your head and a noseplug. If we didn't have to drive all the way from British Columbia then Arizona, we would have signed up to attend the Hoots Convention in a heartbeat. I/we really enjoy reading about all your adventures and experiences. Have fun and maybe next year we'll be there.
mrspeachland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #251
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well great write up, no pictures necessary you are now in a group of toilet repairman and we all now await the next lesson you will find yourself head long into.
I always say hands on way is the best way to learn, congratulation job well done.
I will preserve your post in our QT's # 3 archives.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #252

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Dale and Lisa -- Yes, I am sure there will be plenty of TP chat at the Hoots. I definitely want to take this topic up with Redbaron73, too, because he will be able to enlighten me about the the compatibility of GE Joe and Thetford.

And I want to talk to Steve Morrison, too, to see if he can help me locate the pieces and parts that were left over when we put the toilet back together. Something about a large black hose and what looks like an electric pump? Should these have gone back in? Really? I couldn't seem to find a place for them, but maybe Steve knows more about this than we do. Heck of it is, the toilet seems to work okay! Maybe we'll just wait to get to Seiverville, about 1,000 miles from Nappanee, to see if those parts mean anything in relation to the toilet -- to a lawyer who knows absolutely nothing about mechanics, this seems like a perfectly sound idea.

If anyone needs more than I offered by way of description of our surgery, I will gladly offer to do a personal consultation on-site at the Roost. Topics I feel I can cover competently at any Hoot's request include, but are not limited to: How and where to hold the LED flashlight for the surgeon; How far to have the DW away from you with said flashlight when the pearl of the impeller is opened and the contents come gushing out to meet you; What complimentary things to tell the DW while the surgery is underway, you are craving more and more air, and DW is wondering what in the world could have possibly caused the toilet not to work; What acceptable expressions may be used when the pearl is taken apart and you can see your destiny lying (and smelling) in front of you; How thoroughly to clean your hands, arms, forehead (and ears) when you are done with surgery; The number of beers which are necessary to have waiting in throughly chilled state for the surgeon when the job is done -- there is actually a formula for this which I will go over as part of my presentation -- bottom line is that the number of beers at issue is in direct relationship to the degree of difficulty of the surgery performed multiplied by the number of points made by being complimentary to DW holding the LED flashlight over your head during the surgery. Normally this number comes out to five or six but that's just by simple rounding -- it could actually be much higher depending on the situation presented.

Mrspeach -- We will definitely miss you at the Hoots this year, but thank you for tuning into our little confab (and all of our nonsense). If there is another Hoots' Roost next year -- I kind of suspect there will be, whether or not we get invited back -- please think about coming to it then. In the meantime, safe travels from grand and lovely Canada, and best wishes for great weather in AZ.

007 -- As always, you are way too kind to include my nonsense posts in among the important things that are kept alive by you. I hope our posts are worthy of being kept -- I am at least very happy that you think they are.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote