Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #1

Macerator and toilet paper use

We haven't had macerator toilets in our 2 previous Newmar's but the new LA has two. RV Flush, in seminars, has recommended Costco toilet paper use for all toilets and if in doubt put 1 sheet of paper in a cup of water and shack and if paper breaks up then you will be OK for all RV toilets. With the new to us macerator toilets it wouldn't be as important because of the way a macerator toilet works. Wanted to ask what your experience has been with toilet paper and a macerator toilet? RV Flush did say the number one problem with of all RV toilets and black tanks are disposable wipes. Duane says just never put them in your toilet.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just use the Kirkland brand and have for years. Pretty much just as important even with a macerator since it needs to break down quickly to flush them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Angel Soft. Been using it for over a year in our 17 Dutchstar.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #4

Charmin Ultrasoft. Passes the shake test with flying colors!
Old 06-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #5

Scotts Extra Soft works well. Been using for 12 years, 8 with regular RV toilet now 4 years with macerator toilets no problems.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #6

I use the scotts from Walmart RV section. Never had a problem in 5 years. We have a Mecerator in Master and a regular in half bath.
pjgolpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:59 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - We picked up "Home Sense Soft and Strong" by Kroger. The 24 double roll pack runs about the same as the Costco and we like it better. Passes all the tests.

Tom
Old 06-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
My opinion is that if the paper is septic tank safe you will be fine using it. Keep black tank about 2/3 full or even full before dumping and really it won't be an issue. jmo mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
we use Cottonelle with our macerator toilets

We've been full-timing for 2.5 years in our DS 2015 with the Dometic macerator toilets and have been using Cottonelle TP the whole time with no difficulties.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #10

there is two flush settings for the toilet....a water saver one and a standard one....

for solids, it is recommended to not use the water saver setting....

for more substantial toilet paper, i would not use it, either....

you can change the flush mode by applying continual pressure to the flush button when flushing, until it begins to blink. then the next time you flush, you will be in the other mode.....

even if you add maximum water to the bowl before using the toilet, it's still not the same as the non water saver mode. plus, oftentimes (at least for me) the bowl doesn't hold all the water for very long anyways.....

i run the toilets in the non water saving mode all the time.....and sometimes i use an extra flush...more water can't hurt....i have come to the belief that some have had trouble with their toilets due to water starving the macerator with either solids or thick paper...or both together....

so, in a very long winded way, i am saying i think the paper matters little, it's the amount of water you use that matters...
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #11

We use either Angel Soft or Kirkland. Both have worked well for us. That being said I wouldn't put anything thru there without doing the square in a glass/jar of water test to make sure that it breaks down. And as others said make sure you use enough water. I would love to get an extra day or two out of the black tank but I would rather use more water and fear less problems. I also flush the black tank three or four times every time I dump it.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Some may be confusing what the macerator can handle vs. what is happening when it's in the black tank, i.e. RV toilet paper dissolving. The macerator is supposed to be able to handle about anything (other than the obvious no no's) but I've found otherwise. I had my macerator clog twice and not for the business it was trying to flush. Newmar thinks it was KLEENEX that wasn't cooperating and tangling the blades, who knows, it cleared and I stopped putting kleenex in the toilet until recently, I'm giving it a careful try again.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Talking

We use Scott's without a problem..However............sometimes I swallow cherry pits and that damaged our macerator while we were in Alaska.....Beware of what you swallow whole!!!

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Some may be confusing what the macerator can handle vs. what is happening when it's in the black tank, i.e. RV toilet paper dissolving. The macerator is supposed to be able to handle about anything (other than the obvious no no's) but I've found otherwise. I had my macerator clog twice and not for the business it was trying to flush. Newmar thinks it was KLEENEX that wasn't cooperating and tangling the blades, who knows, it cleared and I stopped putting kleenex in the toilet until recently, I'm giving it a careful try again.

kleenex is much stronger than TP.......
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, toilet