Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2007, 04:19 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I had posted before that I was going to get into an '08 Mountain Aire. By the time I speced out what I wanted, I really should have been considering an Essex. The MA price with specials was getting into the Essex Range anyway.

Not wanting to make a mistake on this purchase, we have decided to wait at least a year. There are also some interesting new technologies coming out such as the new Cummins integrated hybrid Generator/EMS. This was a very tough decision.

I seemed to have gotten the DSDP in order and ready to head out next Friday. I own a campground in the North so my camping starts now. My first year problems have been far more than normal (mostly dealer related) but, I feel confident the coach is in good order now.

I've added all the little extras I had been waiting on for the MA decision:

Pressure Pro - For tow vehicle and coach. Simple install. Tough part was getting them on inside dual as I don't have extensions.

Tow Bar/Kit - Blue Ox Aventa LX. I put the baseplate on myself (Avalanche). Stupid decision, what a pain.

Brake Buddy - Wanted the Air Force One but, changed my mind. Will detail in another post. Having brake light kit installed. After the baseplate struggles I gave up installing.

Progressive EMS - Got the external one. Installed it myself.

Magic Table Topper from Carlyle - Works great. The tight fit also stops the ends from banging while driving. Turns out I got one of the first ones w/some modifications. Rubber inserts in cup holders for one. Installed it myself.

Still deciding on a GPS - dedicated or one in my laptop.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2007, 04:19 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I had posted before that I was going to get into an '08 Mountain Aire. By the time I speced out what I wanted, I really should have been considering an Essex. The MA price with specials was getting into the Essex Range anyway.

Not wanting to make a mistake on this purchase, we have decided to wait at least a year. There are also some interesting new technologies coming out such as the new Cummins integrated hybrid Generator/EMS. This was a very tough decision.

I seemed to have gotten the DSDP in order and ready to head out next Friday. I own a campground in the North so my camping starts now. My first year problems have been far more than normal (mostly dealer related) but, I feel confident the coach is in good order now.

I've added all the little extras I had been waiting on for the MA decision:

Pressure Pro - For tow vehicle and coach. Simple install. Tough part was getting them on inside dual as I don't have extensions.

Tow Bar/Kit - Blue Ox Aventa LX. I put the baseplate on myself (Avalanche). Stupid decision, what a pain.

Brake Buddy - Wanted the Air Force One but, changed my mind. Will detail in another post. Having brake light kit installed. After the baseplate struggles I gave up installing.

Progressive EMS - Got the external one. Installed it myself.

Magic Table Topper from Carlyle - Works great. The tight fit also stops the ends from banging while driving. Turns out I got one of the first ones w/some modifications. Rubber inserts in cup holders for one. Installed it myself.

Still deciding on a GPS - dedicated or one in my laptop.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:46 AM   #3

As fas as the GPS goes there are advantages to both in the coach and on the laptop. I have the Microsoft Streets and Trips.

I like the laptop better because I can plan all the routes and save them as individual files. I can use it to get mileages of different options. AND, it has a feature linked with Woodalls that list all the RV parks. Assuming you already have a laptop the cost is around a 100 bucks.

I have a built in system on my current coach and I much prefer the laptop for all the reasons above, and most importantly I hand it over to the copilot. Keeps her busy and my eyes on the road.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:49 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Brake Buddy - Wanted the Air Force One but, changed my mind. Will detail in another post. Having brake light kit installed. After the baseplate struggles I gave up installing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott, while I can certainly understand your decision to wait on the coach purchase, especially since you've had some issues with the current one, I strongly encourage you to "change your mind" again and pitch that Brake Buddy box over the first bridge you come upon..
As they say, "think outside the box" and choose a system that is truly proportional and one of the fastest and easiest to set up.
Other than the time it takes to put the toad into "neutral tow", the rest of the process involves hooking up an air line and a power cord as an umbillical to "tie" the coach and the toad together...There's no need to find a place for the Brake Buddy box to sit when I get where I'm going and I NEVER worry about whether I've set the sensitivity correctly on the BB box...
Sorry, but that's one decision you made that I disagree with....

IRT to FOCAL topper, you can thank Dirk and I for being in on the design of that one.....I actually picked up a gas coach "dogbox" cover in Carlyle's showroom and was looking at it with Dirk and between the three of us we designed what he sells now as the topper...
Dirk and I have the prototypes.....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Bob,

I just posted on the decision. You are right but, please consider my situation re:BB purchase. Next time I'm at Spartan, I may switch over.

By the way, while my coach problems got me started looking. We are past that driving our decision. I think the DSDP is in good shape now. We just want to make sure we get exactly the coach we want w/our next purchase.

By the way, at the Hershey show, I found American Coach to be doing some interesting things in their new line. However, I was turned off by how they slammed Newmar constantly in our conversation. The guy must have spent 15 minutes on sidewall construction alone. They also have less felxibility in the specials.

I don't believe I would go away from Newmar. I was just surprised at the American offering.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Forgot, I knew you guys were the prototyper for the topper. I actually called him the day after Dirk took delivery. (decided to wait as I wouldn't be traveling for a while)

Anyway, throwing your names around didn't get me anywhere. In fact, I think he increased the price when I mentioned Dirk.

I paid $110 which included shipping.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:05 AM   #7

Hi Scott! I don't blame you for waiting. We really enjoyed our 06 DSDP. You will probably not take much more of a hit waiting another year. Let us know where you are going to be. Paul
Old 10-17-2007, 08:01 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway, throwing your names around didn't get me anywhere. In fact, I think he increased the price when I mentioned Dirk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let that be a lesson to the rest of you!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JavaJelly:

Still deciding on a GPS - dedicated or one in my laptop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Windows Mobile Phone and I run TomTom on it and it is a great package. I have tried Garmin, Navman, & Magellan and I found the Tom Tom user interface heads above anything else I have used with the exception of the new Lexus built in unit. I believe the stand alone Tom Tom has the same interface so I would look seriously at it.

If you need an Data/Palm type phone or aircard for internet access then you could get a win mobile phone and run Tom Tom, while using tethered data mode instead of a aircard. A big plus of doing this is that the device gets traffic reports for the route via the internet. The new AT&T tilt even has a GPS receiver built in.
-- Bruce
brucedelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:06 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Forgot, I knew you guys were the prototypes for the topper. I actually called him the day after Dirk took delivery. (decided to wait as I wouldn't be traveling for a while)

Anyway, throwing your names around didn't get me anywhere. In fact, I think he increased the price when I mentioned Dirk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Can one of you three guys post a picture of this unit, please? Thanks

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:38 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Pictures can be seen on THIS PAGE.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:01 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Always wanting to make it a little easier than searching from page to page, here's a picture of the topper as placed for use on the table...
Dirk's cupholder arrangement and/or needs were a little different than mine, so I had two circular cupholders placed on the edges with a rectangular phone slot in between them...Dirk's "sippie" cup has a handle so he wanted to address that in the planning stages.
I've also covered mine in that non skid shelf liner to keep things still...

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dirk's "sippie" cup has a handle so he wanted to address that in the planning stages. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sigh.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dirk's "sippie" cup </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! As Chuck would say: I don't know what it looks like or what it is, but I want one! Where can we buy one, and can someone post Photos?? Paul