Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2017, 03:42 PM   #1

Magne Shade

Looking for any fellow Newmar owners that have experience with this product. Living out west we feel the addition of a windshield screen may help a bit. We don't want to put snaps or other exterior fastners on our new coach. So hoping there's folks on the forum with late model MA and up may have this product and can lend some information. Looks nice and easy to do initial install and easy on/off afterwards. Any possible warranty issues with Newmar, or any issues getting the upper middle magnets In place with the front tv and cabinets? Thanks for any assistance. Brad

Coach on order: 2018 MADP 4531
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmf23 View Post
Looking for any fellow Newmar owners that have experience with this product. Living out west we feel the addition of a windshield screen may help a bit. We don't want to put snaps or other exterior fastners on our new coach. So hoping there's folks on the forum with late model MA and up may have this product and can lend some information. Looks nice and easy to do initial install and easy on/off afterwards. Any possible warranty issues with Newmar, or any issues getting the upper middle magnets In place with the front tv and cabinets? Thanks for any assistance. Brad

Coach on order: 2018 MADP 4531
Can't speak for the MADP...but it was easy to install per instructions, and videos...on the VTDP.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We have a Magne Shade on our 2011 Essex. The shade is outstanding but, due to the size of our windshield it is not as easily installed as they illustrate in their videos. I am NOT bad mouthing Magne Shade, it's the size of our windshields. Having said that, I wouldn't have any other shade! And installing the magnets was not an issue.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Magneshade

Installing wasn't hard. As the OP said, it's heavier than a lot of others I suppose on the Dutch Star windshield and is easier if you have two people. Can be frustrating with one. Don't try to install in a wind, or if the sun is overhead. They did supply two poles. The difference in inside temp is at least 20 degrees. Wouldn't have a coach without one. I paid a grand with the custom print.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2757.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	163073  
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:38 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We just purchased and ordered the complete Magne-Shade set for our new '17 Essex and have been working with them as well as our selling coach dealer on the upcoming installation of the top horizontal magnets with respect to a OEM speaker/vent duct panel that is positioned approx. 8-10 below the top windshield gasket and butts up to the back of the glass (eliminating easy access to the actual top of the windshield).

It appears the panel will have to be temp. removed to gain access to the area in order to set the magnets properly in place. When we asked, Magne-Sheild stated they cannot do the installation for us (to include removal of the top panel) due to liability so we'll be visiting our dealer next week to ask them about removal of the panel for us which I suspect they can do. Hopefully, it won't be "too painful" in terms of the labor cost to remove and reinstall the panel.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
We have a Magne Shade on our 2011 Essex. The shade is outstanding but, due to the size of our windshield it is not as easily installed as they illustrate in their videos. I am NOT bad mouthing Magne Shade, it's the size of our windshields. Having said that, I wouldn't have any other shade! And installing the magnets was not an issue.
Does your Essex have also have the top speaker / vent duct panel behind the privacy/night shades that extends down approx. 8-10" from the top of the windshield as our's does ('17 Essex) and if so, did you have to remove it (panel) to gain reach to the inside top of the windshield to install the upper magnets? If yes, how big of a job was that (removal of the panel)?
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #7

Ventana LE

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if anyone has the dimensions of the windshield for the 2017 Ventana LE models. I won't get my coach for a few more weeks. Also are there any installation issues with this models?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Does your Essex have also have the top speaker / vent duct panel behind the privacy/night shades that extends down approx. 8-10" from the top of the windshield as our's does ('17 Essex) and if so, did you have to remove it (panel) to gain reach to the inside top of the windshield to install the upper magnets? If yes, how big of a job was that (removal of the panel)?

Yes it does. But, it was not an issue. I can reach past the rubber seal and place the magnets with out issue.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Love the Mangeshade on our 2014 Dutch Star. It was installed by Roger in Mocksville NC. Can't beat magnets vs snaps. I have no problem putting it up. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	163149
LongRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We had Magna Shades installed by the manufacturer on our 2008 DS. Not complicated. Just takes two people. When we upgraded to our present 2014 DS we went a summer without any window shades. We really noticed the temperature difference.

Then FLSteve sold his 2013 DS to upgrade to a 2015 MA. His Magna Shades didn't work on the MA and after comparing window dimensions to our 2014 DS, we bought his. Magnets and all. We picked up new sticky pads and glass prep from Magna Shade at the Tampa/NKK RV event. After watching the video a couple of times, we started on the smallest side window and worked our way up to the windshield. We finished in less than three hours. Most of that was the "failure to communicate". (The Captain in Cool Hand Like)

So this leads to the facts that Magna Shades really knock down the inside windshield temp, are recycleable and can be installed by mere mortals.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #11

We have MagneShades on the windshield and side cockpit windows. We love them! We would not have any other type of external cover. For us, they were easy to install and they are easy to take up and down.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #12

I have them on my 2007 MADP and works great. They are a little harder to put up on larger windshields but easy for 2 people.
They have templates for almost every coach made. Just call and give them your make and model and they will send you the info. Just double check the measurements and your all set to order.
Mmenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmenard View Post
They have templates for almost every coach made. Just call and give them your make and model and they will send you the info. Just double check the measurements and your all set to order.
I wish they had them all. They don't have them for my '09 CC Magna but it appears from direct comparison and measuring that my windows are the same as the '07 Intrigue which they do have patterns for.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:05 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We just complete making our own windshield cover and are very happy with how it turned out. Have enough material left over to do the driver and passenger side windows as well. Now we are just waiting for some nice sunny weather to try it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170527_1904042.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	163357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170527_1906096.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	163358