Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
So, NWIP and Soniccruzer, do you guys have the exterior magnets? Do the exterior magnets stick on and hold over time? Thanks
Originally didn’t install the exterior magnets but the corners curled over, didn’t follow the install instructions like I should have. I put them on which cured the problem and still there6 months later. I don’t really notice them anymore as they are out of the way.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #44

Yesterday I finally decided to get our Magna Shade installed on our '17 MA. I had purchased it from a member on here that had a coach that they were selling and it was like new when we received it. I had checked with both Magna Shade and Newmar to check for size and window design to confirm that it would work and got the answers I wanted to hear before we purchased the set.
We found that there is a piece behind the cabinets and TV that house speakers and heat/vent ducts that I don't feel confident to take apart and not get it back the way it should be. That being said we are going to mount the shade down about the 4 inches that we can't get the magnets up and above that piece. We also didn't want the magnets all the way across the upper windshield on the outside.
Has anyone else done this or does anyone see that this is not a good solution to our problem. With the hidden wiper area on our coach the lower part of the Magna Shade just hand down hidden and under the wipers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1332.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	254089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1333.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	254090  

Name:	IMG_1336.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	254091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1338.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	476.3 KB
ID:	254092  

Name:	IMG_1337.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	469.2 KB
ID:	254093  
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:27 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
We also didn't want the magnets all the way across the upper windshield on the outside.
We are getting ours installed tomorrow morning with ext magnets across the top. If you want I can send you a picture of what it looks like without shade attached. The ext magnets are about the size and thickness of a quarter and black. I'm hoping they look fine as I want all the glass coverage we can get.
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #46

Love our Magna Shades!! They’ve been on our coach for three years and have done an awesome job. Knocks down the sun tremendously.

Our magnets, for the front windshield, are internal. I got some extra magnets during our installation, in NC, and added them to the windshield magnets. I just stacked them and noticed that in high winds the front doesn’t blow off as easy.

You’ll love them and they definitely work......
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel21 View Post
We are getting ours installed tomorrow morning with ext magnets across the top. If you want I can send you a picture of what it looks like without shade attached. The ext magnets are about the size and thickness of a quarter and black. I'm hoping they look fine as I want all the glass coverage we can get.

Go ahead and send a pic. We haven’t set the magnets yet as I was going to call Magna Shade in the morning. Thank you.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:50 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
I've often wondered about those shades but never wanted to invest so much money into something so simple.
I've often thought about cutting out my own using Reflectix and neodymium magnets. Could outfit my whole rig for under $100.

Anyone ever tried this?

Thoughts?

Feedback?

Thanks..........
I did try the DIY shade method - I bought the strongest magnets available on Amazon. Dangerously strong, 60 pound pull IIRC. One stuck to my bench vise, and I had a lot of trouble getting it off. BUT these Amazon magnets wouldn't hold even the paper pattern for my shade up. It falls right off, in no wind. (I was planning to have my local shop sew up some nice shades and hold them up with magnets.)

I'm not sure what magnets Magnashade uses, but they won't sell them to the public. They told me if they did sell them, they would be at least 1/2 the shade cost. So, maybe 300 dollars?

They must have some really amazing magnets in their product.

PS - I super-glued them to the INSIDE of the windshield. If they were outside, I am sure they would hold.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:14 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Love our Magna Shades....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	53A8BED4-4714-4359-A26F-30821A5B2A7F.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	254179  
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #50

We called Magna Shade and they convinced us that we needed to raise it to the proper height and use the thin black magnets along the outside of the top of the windshield. After we got it done and set up properly we love it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1350.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	254329  
Old 07-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have enjoyed ours over the past year, it is black with beige stitching to complement our Dutch Star's color scheme.
There is some real truth in the MagneShade's ability to reflect the sun from our large windshield. The black interior MCD shade is no longer as hot as it used to be when we are facing the direct sun. Our Air Conditioning no longer has to work as hard...

Only problem we had was the exterior top corner magnets fell off but they sent replacements and I put a small bead of silicone around them and all is good. A quality product
gkonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
I did try the DIY shade method - I bought the strongest magnets available on Amazon. Dangerously strong, 60 pound pull IIRC. One stuck to my bench vise, and I had a lot of trouble getting it off. BUT these Amazon magnets wouldn't hold even the paper pattern for my shade up. It falls right off, in no wind. (I was planning to have my local shop sew up some nice shades and hold them up with magnets.)

I'm not sure what magnets Magnashade uses, but they won't sell them to the public. They told me if they did sell them, they would be at least 1/2 the shade cost. So, maybe 300 dollars?

They must have some really amazing magnets in their product.

PS - I super-glued them to the INSIDE of the windshield. If they were outside, I am sure they would hold.

I bought 20 of the magnets, a roll of Reflectix & a roll of Coolaroo shade material.
I'll be fabricating my shades as soon as I return from my trip this week.
The magnets are so strong that it is difficult to pull them apart, even through the glass & three layers of reflectix. I think they'll hold as well as the ones from Magneshade.
They are Neodymium Grade N52
Oversoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
We called Magna Shade and they convinced us that we needed to raise it to the proper height and use the thin black magnets along the outside of the top of the windshield. After we got it done and set up properly we love it.
Looks nice. Good choice on the install
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:12 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel21 View Post
Looks nice. Good choice on the install

Thank you, we are very happy that we moved the upper magnets to the top. It just looks so much better. There we two magnets in the bottom corners and used 2 external magnets and 2 internal ones.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #55

Quote:
So let me ask you, your top magnets are actually on top of the fiberglass area?

Thanks
Zzotte
Old 07-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
So let me ask you, your top magnets are actually on top of the fiberglass area?

Thanks
Zzotte

We had Magne Shade install ours. They placed the outside magnets at the top and bottom corners on the windshield (glass). -Paul