RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Magnum AGS didnít shut off

My AGS is set to other, 2 hour run, start at 12.1, and no quiet time. Generator started at 12.1 when I was at the motorhome on Saturday. I assumed it would run 2 hours and shut off so I left. I got a call from the storage facility telling me my generator was still running 50 hours later! Any ideas why it didnít run for 2 hours and shut off? 2011 Ventana 8kw Onan.

Gatoratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2018, 11:14 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
You sure it was running for the total time, or possibly it stopped, then started again when the voltage dropped again?

I use SOC values to start and stop, so can't help with specifics on using time (without looking it up in the manual).

Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:11 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
You sure it was running for the total time, or possibly it stopped, then started again when the voltage dropped again?

I use SOC values to start and stop, so can't help with specifics on using time (without looking it up in the manual).

I looked at the hour meter so I know it kept running.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:18 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah... I would recommend doing a monitored test. Set the run time to 30 minutes and watch the whole thing to completion.

Calling Sensata (Magnum Energy) May be able to give you possible solutions.

I have only tested the Ext. Input, cycle for air conditioning following a shore power failure. Never tested the Low Voltage. Furthermore...we added the BMK and Advanced remote...so I currently have it set to run based on State of Charge (SOC)

The unit is supposed to look for the condition which triggered the start...in your case 12.1v. If the voltages is still 12.1 after the two hours is up...it starts the timer for another two hours, and on and on.

So, in a supervised run...check your voltage. What is it? If it’s not coming up to above 12.1, you have a charge problem. If it is above 12.1 but the generator keeps running, you have an AGS or remote problem.

I would also go to fault history in the TECH menus to see if that yields a clue.

Things that might keep your charger from doing it’s thing to get you above 12.1???

Generator breaker tripped...it’s running but not supplying power to Inverter.

Inverter breaker tripped.

Inverter panel set with charger OFF.

VAC dropout setting too high.

Shoremax set too low.

Might trip the breakers on the Inverter subpanel so they aren’t using generator power...it can all go to the charger.

Batteries old...and not taking a charge, or shorted cell in the bank...giving a low voltage reading.

Loose connection on AGS...or dip switches set incorrectly.

A generator start switch was accidentally triggered after arming the AGS.

Double check AGS status tech pages from remote see if they are reading correctly. You’ll see the status, voltage as read by the AGS (important), and mode...RV or other...

There is also a test feature,,,should start run for 30 seconds and shutdown. Might try it and see if any faults appear.

AGS
Old 01-10-2018, 05:55 AM   #5

I think Charlie covered everything I could think of (he should right a book). Given the age of the coach I would check the batteries are holding a charge. BTW. I have my AGS set for 30 minutes so it doesn't keep running after the batteries reach charge.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Yeah... I would recommend doing a monitored test. Set the run time to 30 minutes and watch the whole thing to completion.

Calling Sensata (Magnum Energy) May be able to give you possible solutions.

I have only tested the Ext. Input, cycle for air conditioning following a shore power failure. Never tested the Low Voltage. Furthermore...we added the BMK and Advanced remote...so I currently have it set to run based on State of Charge (SOC)

The unit is supposed to look for the condition which triggered the start...in your case 12.1v. If the voltages is still 12.1 after the two hours is up...it starts the timer for another two hours, and on and on.

So, in a supervised run...check your voltage. What is it? If itís not coming up to above 12.1, you have a charge problem. If it is above 12.1 but the generator keeps running, you have an AGS or remote problem.

I would also go to fault history in the TECH menus to see if that yields a clue.

Things that might keep your charger from doing itís thing to get you above 12.1???

Generator breaker tripped...itís running but not supplying power to Inverter.

Inverter breaker tripped.

Inverter panel set with charger OFF.

VAC dropout setting too high.

Shoremax set too low.

Might trip the breakers on the Inverter subpanel so they arenít using generator power...it can all go to the charger.

Batteries old...and not taking a charge, or shorted cell in the bank...giving a low voltage reading.

Loose connection on AGS...or dip switches set incorrectly.

A generator start switch was accidentally triggered after arming the AGS.

Double check AGS status tech pages from remote see if they are reading correctly. Youíll see the status, voltage as read by the AGS (important), and mode...RV or other...

There is also a test feature,,,should start run for 30 seconds and shutdown. Might try it and see if any faults appear.

AGS

Thanks for the list of items to check! The house batteries were checked by Interstate at the FMCA Convention and were okay. Voltage was 13.3 when I shut off the generator. I will run a test and check everything else.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:36 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If everything checks out and it still misbehaves...Sensata is pretty good about cross-shipping a new unit. They run your CC to cover the part...send it out right away. When they receive your return, they test it...if it qualifies for a warranty return...they credit your card back.

Great support, but you have to spend some time on hold waiting most times.