Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Magnum Error Message

2018 Ventana 4369

Recently replaced the 8 OEM lead acid house batteries with 8 AGM batteries. Reset Magnum to AGM 2. When traveling inverter and battery charger are on.... normal inverter operation observed then after 6 hours of travel a low battery error message appears on PMS display.....this never happened with lead acid batteries...any thoughts as Magnum will not answer emails or phone calls....very frustrating....
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 09:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
2018 Ventana 4369

Recently replaced the 8 OEM lead acid house batteries with 8 AGM batteries. Reset Magnum to AGM 2. When traveling inverter and battery charger are on.... normal inverter operation observed then after 6 hours of travel a low battery error message appears on PMS display.....this never happened with lead acid batteries...any thoughts as Magnum will not answer emails or phone calls....very frustrating....
Changing the setting to AGM should only affect the charge rates and voltages when you are on shore or generator power. What voltage does the remote show you are pushing when float or absorb charging? I would verify with a multimeter that this is what you are getting at the battery bank. Also, when low battery comes up, I would check voltage at batteries to see if they are indeed low.

2 things come to mind if they are. 1) Loose or bad ground for the battery bank. 2) 1 or more bad batteries. I've had 2 Optima batteries that were bad when brand new...
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:21 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My guess is the leads from the chassis are not connected properly to allow it to recharge from the BIM. Check the BIM relay, and the connections.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Why would you mention that the battery charger in your inverter is ON while driving? When you are driving it is your alternator that is charging your batteries unless you are running the generator as you drive. I have a Magnum MS2012 and the ARC50 remote, so yes, the charger switch is on all the time, but it’s not charging the batteries as I drive unless the generator is running.

Since you just completed a battery change I would look at the wiring of your battery bank, the connections to the alternator, the connections between the battery bank and the inverter, etc. And of course the voltage of each battery in the bank. One bad battery can bring down the entire bank.

There is also a chance that when you disconnected the old batteries that you did not follow Magnum’s explicit instructions to always disconnect the positive connections to the inverter first. Disconnecting the negative connection first can damage the inverter control board. Many inverter installs include a rotary cutoff between the inverter and the battery bank to facilitate this requirement, but the cutoff isn’t always evident.

When I’ve contacted Magnum they’ve always responded to emails quickly. But only on weekdays.

Keep us informed about what you find.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
2018 Ventana 4369

I spoke to magnum last week. I believe this is the number I called, and then I think press 2 for tech support. Wasn't even much of a wait from what I remember. 800-553-6418
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote