Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2017, 05:52 AM   #1

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Magnum Hybrid inverter

I am looking at ordering a DSDP and want to add solar for boondocking. Has anyone asked Newmar to swap out the stock inverter which I think is the Magnum MS2812 with the Magnum MSH3012 as a special request? They are the same size and maybe about a $500 cost difference on Amazon.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 06:40 AM   #2

Newmar denied my special order item for a Magnum hybrid inverter in 2016. However, we took factory delivery and at the end of the week I had Solar Energy Solutions in Nappanee swap out the MS2812 for a MSH3012. They gave me a credit for about $900 for the MS2812. When we were back in May I had SES install some panels and a networked solar charge controller. SES is a good company and they use American made products.
NWLanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #3

What are the significant advantages of the hybrid version?

I wonder if service would swap it out?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #4

From the manual
Why is the MSH-M Series a “Hybrid”? Most inverters only use one source of energy to power the inverter loads—either from the incoming AC power (i.e.,shorepower or generator) or from the batteries. The MSH-M Series combines the energy from both the AC input and the batteries to power the inverter loads. This feature gives the inverter the ability to recharge the battery when there is surplus power, or to deliver more power to the loads if they require more than the AC input can supply by itself.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Yes When on a limited power-site like 20 amp or 30 the inverter feed circuits will use battery power to make up the deficit... no blown breakers at the post. When done with the excess load it goes back to charging function. At least that was how it was described by someone who has one ( and a large solar array ) his explanation was his wife would blow the breaker with the hair dryer .. now it doesn’t.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Yes When on a limited power-site like 20 amp or 30 the inverter feed circuits will use battery power to make up the deficit... no blown breakers at the post. When done with the excess load it goes back to charging function. At least that was how it was described by someone who has one ( and a large solar array ) his explanation was his wife would blow the breaker with the hair dryer .. now it doesn’t.

That's how it works. Can't see it being of any advantage when boondocking since there is no shore power. I'm sure the generator in a new coach will have plenty of power to charge the batteries and run everything else in the coach. It would make a difference if you were using a small 2000 watt generator for your shore power.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Magnum Hybrid inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
That's how it works. Can't see it being of any advantage when boondocking since there is no shore power. I'm sure the generator in a new coach will have plenty of power to charge the batteries and run everything else in the coach. It would make a difference if you were using a small 2000 watt generator for your shore power.

I believe that’s what the guy I talked to was doing .. using a very small 1gal per 5 hour generator to basically charge batteries during the day not the big diesel generator while boon-docking. His DW was always overloading the small gen
But I guess it would also work when hooked up at home on a small breaker.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #8
Rd1

Although the gen can charge the batteries, on an all elec coach once the batts are drained, the gen would have a hard time getting the batts to a full charge, unless running it non-stop over night. I have 12.5 onan and on auto gen, it kept running on and off, trying to keep charge for 8 gel batts.. now with 6x150W panels, I have had no need to run the gen, except for AC. the panels keep the batts fully charged on most days.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #9

If you switch to an hybrid make sure the wiring is adequate... The hybrid can deliver more power thus more amps thru the wires...
Old 12-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #10

a Hybrid would be useful:

- when plugged into less than 50a(100amps) shore power, it could help minimize the shore power breaker from tripping

- when on 'metered' electricity where you pay monthly for your Kw of used power, the solar input would lessen your needs for the metered electricity
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:27 AM   #11

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Thanks, for all the input. I have to check out SES in Nappanee.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I wish I had known what SES did. I drove past them in my recent trip. I'd like to get solar installed in my coach.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I wish I had known what SES did. I drove past them in my recent trip. I'd like to get solar installed in my coach.
They are a good company. They're the major provider for solar systems to many farms in the area.

I enjoyed working with them and they did a nice job on the installation. They're competitive on pricing.
NWLanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:08 AM   #14

One thing to remember is that if you are on a 30 or 20 amp pedestal the hybrid feature will only bring up.1 leg of the AC circuit to a Max of 50 amps. You will still be 50 amps short!
We have it and love it especially in places that get hot and you can only get a 30amp site. With the 3012 we can still use 2ac units and other low draw appliances
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter