Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2022, 04:29 PM   #1

Magnum MS 2012 inverter Charger Fried

Hi all, I'm confused as to why my batteries wont charge with a Die Hard 3 stage 40-amp portable charger attached. The built in Magnum 100-amp charger has fried and the portable charger is properly connected to the new (last June) 4 gc2 interstate batteries connected in series/parallel I am currently connected to the positive terminal on the first battery and negative terminal on the furthest away battery. this is just an interim fix until the new magnum MS 2012 comes in! I've been waiting 12 weeks now and told 12 weeks more if I am lucky!
Any Idea What I am doing wrong or should be doing differently? With all appliances off and charging for 2 days Batteries are only at 11.3-11.5 Volts. I was hoping to at least run the Whirlpool Res. fridge
TIA
Milo
Milom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2022, 05:12 PM   #2

Make sure the positive charger cable is on the battery terminal with the cable to the house fuse/breaker and the negitive charger cable is on the terminal that goes to ground.

You can also connect the cables to the heavy inverter cables.

If that don't work, send a picture of you batteries with the charger connected.

You do have the inverter switched off, yes ? If not it may be drawing more then your charger is sending.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:06 PM   #3

nope, inverter breaker in the main fuse box is on, i will try flipping it off and see if that helps with charging
thx
Old 09-22-2022, 06:16 PM   #4

If you know the inverter is bad I would just disconnect the 12 volt side of the inverter/charger.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:48 PM   #5

Please send a picture of the batteries with charger connected……maybe it’s something simple we could diagnose with the picture
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:42 PM   #6

no, the inverter is fine, as long as the batteries are at 12v+ It's just the charging portion that's no longer working?
Old 09-22-2022, 10:08 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
If the Magnum charger is defective then it is possible that it is putting a load on the batteries by allowing some of the external charger's current to be diverted into the 12V Magnum battery connections where it is being dissipated. Since the charger portion of the inverter/charger is defective and you have no way of know exactly how it failed then it’s not possible to predict how it will behave.
But at any rate the Magnum unit even when working operates either as an Inverter (when there is no 120VAC from shore or generator) OR as a charger (when external power is available). They do not normally both Invert and charge the batteries simultaneously. The 120VAC that is powering the outlets when the unit is charging is just passed-thru from external power via an internal ATS relay in the Magnum.
So you might try just disconnecting the +12VDC connector on the Magnum and see if the Die Hard charger begins to charge properly.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:12 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Are you sure it's bad.....when the batteries get too low, the inverter will go into fault mode (red light) and not charge. The batteries need to be brought back up before the Magnum will try and charge again. Just went through this with another DS owner. He blew the fuse IN the charger and was getting the fault.

Did you call Magnum and have them walk you through the faults?

Lastly, if you're inverter is truly fried, I would look at going to a Xantrex or Victron unit. Newmar did because Magnum can't seem to get any in for almost six months or more.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:31 PM   #9

Hi Don,
Thanks for the reply,
My Rv dealer is now looking into the 3000 watts/120-amp charger Victron unit. They seem to be available. Hopefully it will fit into the same spot as the Magnum. Wonder why Magnum can't produce any units, they have a plant Less than 50 miles from my location In Everett Wa. I remember when quality stuff and parts were made in America! Seems the offshore mfrs. are holding us ransom?? $300,000.00 RV Incapacitated due to $1500.00 part Ugh!!
Old 09-23-2022, 08:57 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My brother tried to order a MS2012 for his boat a year ago and finally gave up. Heck, they could have built a plant and made their own parts in the time they've been down. I hate to see it, but this could be the end of a good company. No product to sell you start laying people off and can't pay the ones that are working.

Perfect storm for Victron, a quality product and the competition is unable to provide product.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:21 PM   #11

Not sure if there are different models of the MS2012, but I found at least 2 online that said they were in stock.
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter