Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #1

Magnum MS2812RV TO MSH3012RV UPGRADE

I have been doing a lot of research regarding Hybrid inverters, and I am very impressed with what and how they managed the AC system.

The ability to load share is an option I really want, as I have been in many campgrounds that only offer 30 amp service.

With an all electric unit I would think this would be standard issue but obviously it is not.

Wondering if any of the higher end Newmar are using them?

So I took the plunge last night and ordered one from Inverter supply, great price, free shipping.

https://www.invertersupply.com/index...word=msh3012rv

I will report with installation tips and pictures when I get a chance to do the install.

Any comments, experience, you want to share is welcome.

I think we need to start a new group, The Mod Squad!

Ted.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
X2 on inverter supply That’s where I got all my Victron stuff.

Not sure how it’s done on an all electric Ventana, but the New Aire has two separate AC panels; one for the AC circuits running off the inverter and one for those that require shore power (roof air and maybe the dryer?).

So if I go with a New Aire, my solution will be to run all solar to my lithium bank and Victron 3000 inverter, to supply the AC panel that runs off shore power. Then I can run my roof air (and anything else on that panel), and also charge the OEM battery bank from solar.

The Ventana I looked had only one AC panel and it’s in the front over the windshield. Not as user friendly but these weren’t all electric coaches either. For that I’d just go straight to the transfer switch.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
How does this change affect the Newmar warranty on your electrical system should something go awry?
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like the idea.

A couple things you need to consider:

The new inverter is capable of supplying 50amp to the panel. The old was 30amp. You need to upgrade your panel to take advantage.

A sub panel may be the way to go.

Also, check the size of the inverter wires, you may need to increase those to the battery. It's a nice short run, so should be easy.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRod View Post
How does this change affect the Newmar warranty on your electrical system should something go awry?
The warranty is over for his and my 2019s.

This would not be covered by a warranty claim.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRod View Post
Well I have not done it yet, I have an appointment for March 18th to visit the factory for a punch list of items that need to be addressed.

I could have them install it to retain warranty coverage if that was or is concern.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
X2 on inverter supply That’s where I got all my Victron stuff.

Not sure how it’s done on an all electric Ventana, but the New Aire has two separate AC panels; one for the AC circuits running off the inverter and one for those that require shore power (roof air and maybe the dryer?).

So if I go with a New Aire, my solution will be to run all solar to my lithium bank and Victron 3000 inverter, to supply the AC panel that runs off shore power. Then I can run my roof air (and anything else on that panel), and also charge the OEM battery bank from solar.

The Ventana I looked had only one AC panel and it’s in the front over the windshield. Not as user friendly but these weren’t all electric coaches either. For that I’d just go straight to the transfer switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I like the idea.

A couple things you need to consider:

The new inverter is capable of supplying 50amp to the panel. The old was 30amp. You need to upgrade your panel to take advantage.

A sub panel may be the way to go.

Also, check the size of the inverter wires, you may need to increase those to the battery. It's a nice short run, so should be easy.
I guess I need to do a side by side comparison of the specs, thanks for bring that up about ability to supply 50 amp

(Edit looking at the side by side specs they appear to be with in 5 amps of each other, on peak output for 100 msec and 1 msec with the MSH3012RV being 85 amps and 45 amp but continuous AC output current is still rated at 25 amps.

They are only 100 watts apart 2812 being 3000 watts and 3012 being 3100 watts.
)

This brings me to the next subject.

My cook top is not wired to the inverter which I found strange being an all electric coach.

My panel is in the half Bathroom, my panel is clearly marked which items are on 30 amp side and which are on 50 amp side.

It would be nice to have the option to run the cook top off inverter.

I will be asking about this while in for service.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #8

For the hybrid power share to work, the draw must be on the inverter circuit.

If you have 2 air conditioners and want to run them both on 30 amps, one would need to go on the inverter output. That way the power share will sense the draw and kick in.

You basicly want one leg of incoming power wired thru the inverter.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I went shopping today with some specific details to nail down and this was one of them.

The first pic is on a new Ventana 4037, all electric. I didn’t open it up but I’m guessing the sub-panel (Right) is for those items supplied by the inverter.

Second pics are in a New Aire. A little more straight forward but same arrangement of those circuits on the inverter and those that work on shore or generator only.

But on either it would be a very simple matter to swap breakers around between shore and inverter power. It seems odd to me too that so little is wired to run off the inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100B9C78-883A-452E-B95C-C8B76D8D8090.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	275064   Click image for larger version

Name:	F1C0E5A9-843D-4B97-ADE0-33FD7E923C59.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	275066  

Click image for larger version

Name:	13B6A463-6F1B-487B-827F-2B594E6343E3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	275067  
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
For the hybrid power share to work, the draw must be on the inverter circuit.

If you have 2 air conditioners and want to run them both on 30 amps, one would need to go on the inverter output. That way the power share will sense the draw and kick in.

You basicly want one leg of incoming power wired thru the inverter.
I am learning here, that is not how this guy explains it.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recently upgraded our Tiffin Phaeton to the MSH3012RV hybrid with ARC50 remote. Along with installing 600ah lithium. With the inverter primary goal of being able to reliably run two air conditioners on 30a pedistal.

I did not upgrade the existing bypass circuit wiring or panel, instead leaving it as is with the 30a circuit protection. Moved one of three air conditioners from the main to sub panel.

Install was pretty much plug and play - I was replacing a Xantrex RV3000GS.

Only line 1 has load support and powers the charger, line 2 is passthrough.

Set the shore power down, and load support comes online with power demand. Pretty slick.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:55 PM   #12

Watched that and another video. Also read the post from Vsheets.

The videos have all of the load going thru the inverter. Remember there is another line using power.

Vsheets moved one AC to the inverter feed sub panel so he could run one on straight 30 amp power and the other on load support inverter power. He also sets the shore power down.

The second video I watched, showed the shore power being set to 10 amps. That's so 20 amps is left for the leg not passing thru the inverter.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I like the idea.

I assume you are not considering this since your MS2800 already is networked to the Precision system. I really like how it works, sheds loads and moves them to the inverter.

I also added a second circuit from the main panel to the second inverter input and added a second sub panel in the half bath for there feed. Then I moved the Stove, PS slide and the bath to the second sub panel. Primary benefit is that when you are plugged in to Shore power the coach outlets (incl Micro, stove and toaster oven) are now fed by 2 30amp circuits instead of one.

Too bad the Precision would not sell me the dual buss version of the Main panels sub panel buss. All that was needed was to drill out a few rivet and replace the single buss with a dual buss. Would have been cleaner and easier than a second sub-panel.
kenk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - I guess that's my question. What's the difference between the MS2800 with the Precision PCS and the MSH3012 ?Pleasekeep me out of the deep water as this is not my strong spot. TIA.

Tom

Tags
upgrade