Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #1

Magnum Settings for Discover AGM Batteries

I thought I would share this information since many of you are placing orders with the AGM special. There is a lot of information out there regarding how to configure the Magnum ME-RC panel for the different types of batteries. Since I spent the extra money for these batteries, I want to extract all the benefit that they can provide, and you'll never be able to do that with incorrect settings. I decided to go to the source and contacted Magnum directly to see what they would have to say. I received the following response from Darren Massey.

"The Discovery AGM EVGC6A-B batteries are asking for a higher charge voltage than any of our profiles have. Here is where I found that information http://www.harrisbattery.com/sites/default/files/product_pdfs/EVGC6A-B.pdf. Their charge profile are absorb at 14.7 and float at 13.6. So flooded would be the closest absorb at 14.6 and float at 13.4. So I would recommend setting 04 battery type to "custom" and setting the absorb to 14.7 the float to 13.6 and equalize to 14.7 then the 05 charge rate would be 100% and then since you have 828 amp/hours change 03 absorb done time to 2.5 hrs."

For what its worth.....

Adil
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Good info, thanks. This is for a bank of 8 batteries, correct?

David
Old 09-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #3

Yes. 8 AGMs.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #4

Equalize on an AGM battery???? Didn't think that was possible on AGM.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentILRVer View Post
I thought I would share this information since many of you are placing orders with the AGM special. There is a lot of information out there regarding how to configure the Magnum ME-RC panel for the different types of batteries. Since I spent the extra money for these batteries, I want to extract all the benefit that they can provide, and you'll never be able to do that with incorrect settings. I decided to go to the source and contacted Magnum directly to see what they would have to say. I received the following response from Darren Massey.

"The Discovery AGM EVGC6A-B batteries are asking for a higher charge voltage than any of our profiles have. Here is where I found that information http://www.harrisbattery.com/sites/default/files/product_pdfs/EVGC6A-B.pdf. Their charge profile are absorb at 14.7 and float at 13.6. So flooded would be the closest absorb at 14.6 and float at 13.4. So I would recommend setting 04 battery type to "custom" and setting the absorb to 14.7 the float to 13.6 and equalize to 14.7 then the 05 charge rate would be 100% and then since you have 828 amp/hours change 03 absorb done time to 2.5 hrs."

For what its worth.....

Adil
Where do you find the special price? i need to replace my batteries......
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #6

Discover special price I was quoted $350, not going to happen with me.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #7

Dajo (Dave),

Yes, you are correct. Discover AGM batteries do not need to be equalized. That is why in my initial post (where I forwarded an email I received from Darren M of Magnum) it lists the Equalize voltage as the same as the absorb voltage- 14.7.

On the other topic regarding price, there must be some confusion in the way I worded my post. When I mentioned the AGM Special I am referring to those of us who have custom ordered our Coaches and opted to include AGM batteries in lieu of the standard batteries. Anytime you make a request of Newmar to do something different in your coach they refer to it as a "Special." Newmar quotes a price in the neighborhood of $1100 to upgrade the 8 standard batteries to AGM batteries during the build process. Most of us feel this is well worth the cost. Again, this is during the build process. I am not suggesting that you can order 8 AGM batteries from Newmar for your current coach.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentILRVer View Post

For what its worth.....

Adil
Is the 04 battery type and the 05 charge rate set some place on the Magnum panel with the knob or one of the push buttons? I've only had this 2015 DS 3 1/2 months and currently on our 2nd two-four week trip and have been afraid to touch anything on the panel since the dealership tech was supposed to have set everything like he said it should be. I tried to read the Owners Manual but soon found out it was written for electrical engineers and not electrical Dummies like me.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries