Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #1

Main powerline routing

Hi gang, I have a 07 Cypress 32RKSH 5er and trying to find where they routed the main power line through the unit. The shore power plug is in the back and I see it come through the ceiling into the main panel. I would like to install a hard wired surge/volt protector system but haven't found the main wire. Is there a wiring diagram? Thanks for any suggestions. Bruce
Cypress42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 05:33 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I assume this is a trailer.. If so you should install the Surge guard (HW-30 or HW-50) just 'ahead' of the breaker panel.. You know where that is so put the unit right behind or above it.

Doing it this way you do not CUT the wire.. You disconnect it and connect it to the Surge Guard and then run a short NEW lead from there to the original connection point.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Find your transfer switch and the shore power line will be in it, remove shore power wiring and place in your surge protector than run a jumper from surge protector back to the transfer switch.
In the TS you also have the Gen wiring and your load center wiring.

Transfer switches

Surge Protectors
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Cypress42,
007's post is the correct answer. Consider following his suggestions.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Cypress42,
007's post is the correct answer. Consider following his suggestions.
There's a good possibility that the OP doesn't have a generator on a 5er. So that would make wa8yxm's post correct. Also even if he does have a generator he can still hook it up just before the main service. That way it protects the coach from both shore power and generator malfunction. That's the way I have mine wired. By doing it this way you loose the protection of the transfer switch. But I would prefer having everything in the coach protected from a generator malfunction than having the transfer switch protected.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. It is a 5th wheel and I do not have a generator. Where the line comes into the main panel is in a small bathroom cabinet. Pretty tight space, but will measure. I have not seen a transfer switch either. Might have to go with a portable/plugin one.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Cypress42,
I've been using the portable model for almost 10 years. It works as advertised and has given no trouble. If you install the unit in the coach, depending on the space available, consider a different solution than wa8yxm proposed. Do cut the main line and install the appropriate male and female ends, to match the surge protector on the main line. This means you will plug the surge protector into the main line. If the surge protector goes bad, a temporary fix is to remove it from the main line and connect the two plugs mentioned earlier. This has never happened to me, but if a surge protector does go bad (for whatever reason) there will be no power to the coach. This is how mine is installed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #8

Just wanted to let you know the cabinet where the power comes in is to small for the HW unit. The best I could find that the main line is tucked in the area where the furnace and water pump is and of course not easily accessible. With that I purchased the PI EMS PT50 portable unit today. Thanks for your input. Love this site. By the Happy 4th!!!

Tags
power