Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Main slide motor fail

Full slide on 2017 ventana le 4002 , motor failed. K01176e900 Cost from Newmar $1600 . Plastic gear inside stripped and replacement of gear was $200.
What a rip off !! Coach has only 12000 miles. Not sure my upgrade to this coach was worth it. Never had motor go out. Neither should this one.
Sadly can not find replacement motor except through Newmar.
Very unhappy owner.
ron simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2021, 07:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron simmons View Post
Full slide on 2017 ventana le 4002 , motor failed. K01176e900 Cost from Newmar $1600 . Plastic gear inside stripped and replacement of gear was $200.

What a rip off !! Coach has only 12000 miles. Not sure my upgrade to this coach was worth it. Never had motor go out. Neither should this one.

Sadly can not find replacement motor except through Newmar.

Very unhappy owner.

Check the integrityrvparts.com web site. They have a K01176C900 listed for $969. They may be able to source the exact part you are looking for.

https://integrityrvparts.com/collect...lide-out-motor
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:48 PM   #3

When I was going through the research process, I determined that for the first 2 to 7 years of coach life, you needed to allow an average of 3 to 5% of the new purchase price of a coach for insurance, maintenance and repairs outside of warranty. Some years more, some years less. How you use the coach may also affect those costs.

Don't know what else you have had to do to it, but that's the kind of thing I would expect on a 4 year old coach. They are basically a house with moving walls vibrating down the road. Things are going to shake loose.

I know it's good money, but that's part of owning one of these beasts.

Safe travels.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the RV Lifestyle.
The Venders list top of forums can maybe help with the cost but things at this time maybe back ordered and more costly because of what's been going on and people need money, I just found a washing machine the only one in NE area of Mass. all back ordered until August.
You maybe able to use this link also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBGE View Post
When I was going through the research process, I determined that for the first 2 to 7 years of coach life, you needed to allow an average of 3 to 5% of the new purchase price of a coach for insurance, maintenance and repairs outside of warranty. Some years more, some years less. How you use the coach may also affect those costs.

Don't know what else you have had to do to it, but that's the kind of thing I would expect on a 4 year old coach. They are basically a house with moving walls vibrating down the road. Things are going to shake loose.

I know it's good money, but that's part of owning one of these beasts.

Safe travels.
Agree. We have been RVing for over 20 years and can not remember any slide motor ever costing $1600. My point is why does Newmar list k01176E900 that only they stock? Why can we not buy this in open market. It should not be over priced like they are doing.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
$349.99 on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Newmar-Klaube.../dp/B07MBR8KFL
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:45 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've found every part I've ever needed on the internet. So far I have not bought anything from OEMs. Cars, trucks and RVs. OEMs are 50-200% more. But it does take a lot of time and research. I've saved at least a 100 of this forums postings for future reference. My guess I've saved 50 grand doing this in 25 years. I've substituted and modified many times.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I've found every part I've ever needed on the internet. So far I have not bought anything from OEMs. Cars, trucks and RVs. OEMs are 50-200% more. But it does take a lot of time and research. I've saved at least a 100 of this forums postings for future reference. My guess I've saved 50 grand doing this in 25 years. I've substituted and modified many times.
Klauber, the manufacturer of the Newmar slide motor will not sell to the public, a very common thing that occurs with many companies under contract. The motor has a specific gear that breaks and they won't sell that either. You're forced to go through Newmar, which marks the part up from about $350 to $1250.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Agree. We have been RVing for over 20 years and can not remember any slide motor ever costing $1600. My point is why does Newmar list k01176E900 that only they stock? Why can we not buy this in open market. It should not be over priced like they are doing.
Same thing happened with my Pace arrow Vision.... stripped gear in gearcase. Fleetwood would only sell a complete motor/gearcase. The manufacturer of the assembly wouldn't talk to me. I found a used one. That was the only slideout problem I had with the Pace Arrow in the 13 years I owned it.
Now, our Dutch Star is a different animal. I've had 2 different stripped gears in gearcases, a broken case casting, broken welds in the slide out stop arms, broken chain on the drive motor sprocket on kitchen slide. All covered by my extended service plan.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Newmar & Klauber collusion rip off

oh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Klauber, the manufacturer of the Newmar slide motor will not sell to the public, a very common thing that occurs with many companies under contract. The motor has a specific gear that breaks and they won't sell that either. You're forced to go through Newmar, which marks the part up from about $350 to $1250.
We are under contract with Newmar to not support any of their aftermarket sales. Meaning we are unable to sell any components or complete units to individuals that have a Newmar coach, in order to get a replacement for the E900 you will have to go directly thru Newmar, they also may be able to supply you with the plastic gear. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Sent: Monday, May 10, 2021 9:31 AM
To: Ben Travis <bent@klaubergear.com>
Subject: Re: Contact Us Submission

That is the problem. Newmar wants $1600 for the motor blaming the problem on a patent from klauber gear. Also that klauber gear will not sell plastic gear inside box separately. You have to buy the entire motor assembly. It’s a damn rip off.

Get Outlook for iOS
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2021 9:13:17 AM
To: ron simmons <ron@ronsimmons.net>
Subject: RE: Contact Us Submission

Good morning,
In order to get a replacement for the K01176-E900 you will have to go thru Newmar, their phone number is 574-773-7791. Call them and give them the K0 model number and they should be able to get you a replacement.

Thank you,

Ben
Old 05-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftharrisiii View Post
Check the integrityrvparts.com web site. They have a K01176C900 listed for $969. They may be able to source the exact part you are looking for.

https://integrityrvparts.com/collect...lide-out-motor
It will not fit. Newmar has exclusive contract on part. They fix the price and collude with Klauber to screw Newmar owners.
Newmar is a rip off
Old 05-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:
It will not fit. Newmar has exclusive contract on part. They fix the price and collude with Klauber to screw Newmar owners.
Newmar is a rip off

OOC has your slide had a hard life or has it had anything happen to it since you have bought it?

J
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
No this coach only has 12000 miles on it always garages. Other wise imperfect condition. Newmar is totally out of line on this motor. They have colluded with Klauber to price fix it.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:37 PM   #14

Collude is a very strong word. Company A employs company B to design and manufacture parts to spec for their system. One might call that proprietary information.

I don't dispute that Newmar is valuing that part exceptionally high, but I dont see that as collusion.

J
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, slide, slide motor