Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 05:11 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Maintenance ?

Since I have no history on my new to me coach..I think I will make an appointment and get caught up on the Maintenance.....( after which I will maintain it myself).. Two questions ...Expected cost? And is maintenance work something's I can wait for?? ( average time needed ) Recommended shop is about 2 hrs away..

Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 06:45 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Two trains of thought:
The first is what you are planning, just let someone else do the maintenance. My experience is there are just too many maintenance issues that a vendor could go after and charge you for. Between Engine oil, fuel filters, Air dryer filter, transmission, radiator, generator, heating and cooling system, battery load testing just to name a few could run you into thousands of dollars.

The second option is: take samples and have them sent in for analysis. This option gives you your baseline on many common task and has the potential to save you money. I use Blackstone Labs. Once you have the analysis back you can take over the do-it-yourself responsibly and with piece of mind.

Granted based on your ability, some items will need to go to a professional, but in my area alone labor is now $105.00 to $120.00 an hour. Another cost savings technique is to buy your filters and parts on-line. Even lubrication products on-line can save you big bucks. Brakes and wheel hubs are what I would have a mechanic check on my dime.

My comments are taylored for a DP, you may have a gasoline, which would make the maintenance issue easier, but just as important.

Couple of thoughts for your consideration.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know my way around a gasser.. But have limited experience with diesels( exception had a fosupposed stroke did all maintenance myself) but a pusher is a complete mystery to me.... My thought was take it to the shop let them give it the once over and catch up on maintence so I can have a reference point....
Old 05-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedjester View Post
I know my way around a gasser.. But have limited experience with diesels( exception had a fosupposed stroke did all maintenance myself) but a pusher is a complete mystery to me.... My thought was take it to the shop let them give it the once over and catch up on maintence so I can have a reference point....

Sounds like a good plan. You'll pick up what you need to know pretty quick. If you take it somewhere that will let you watch it will be a big help.

Here is a list of service points on a typical DP. Your exact situation may be somewhat different.

Complete base line service for Cummins diesel motorhome:

Engine: filters to be Fleetguard
1. Oil/filter
2. Fuel filters (2)
3. Coolant filter if equipped and test/ adjust SCA level if standard coolant. Change coolant @ 5 years. Add extender at 3 years if OAT type coolant.
4. Air filter if over 3 years old. Inspect plumbing between filter and turbo inlet for evidence of dust. Inspect CAC plumbing.
5. Inspect hoses & belts.

Transmission: filters to be Allison high capacity.
1. Change filters @ 36 months & top up.
2. Change fluid @ 48 months or test sample.
Always use TES295 fluid as approved by Allison.

Chassis:
1. Complete lube including lifting front axle from ends to unload king pins.
2. Including 3 zerks on steering column and one zerk on steering box.
3. Change Hydraulic filter & top up.
4. Change air dryer cartridge @ 2-3 years.
5. Grease front wheel bearings 3-5 years or change to oil hubs & inspect.
6. Change differential gear oil @ 3-5 years.
7. Inspect brake surfaces.
8. Inspect oil level tag axle hubs.
9. Inspect both chassis & house batteries. Make sure all connections are clean & tight. If flooded lead acid, check & top up with distilled water monthly.

Generator:
1. Oil/ filter
2. Fuel filter
3. Air filter
4. Perform valve lash, belt/ hose replacement and generator unit service before 2000 hours. Replace thermostat and coolant @ that time.

AquaHot:
1. Replace fuel filter
2. Replace burner nozzle
3. Exercise tempering valve.
4. Inspect coolant level at top of AquaHot unit and at expansion tank.

Inspect and clean all battery terminals.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #5

You can call Newmar Factory in Nappanee and they will provide a maintenance sheet as well as cost. Freightliner in Gaffney will do the same thing.

Larry and Cherry Courville
2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
2013 Lincoln MKX

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Any idea of average cost? And you have to leave the coach or can you wait for it?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:23 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Looking at factory brochure you have a Diesel Pusher with a Freightliner chassis or the optional Spartan chassis?

Would at a minimum change the oil and grease the chassis to start with. If you do not want to do it yourself recommend you use a Speedco Speedco if available in your area.

Look at your coolant, air brake and fuel filters. Many shops use a magic marker to write the installed date on them.

One really neglected filter on most Diesel pushers is the hydraulic oil filter. On most RVs this is one you can easily do yourself. Get a low cost oil suction gun, the filter and oil (Call Freightliner or Spartan for filter part number, type fluid required and quantity of oil needed to change filter.) Read your Newmar assembled engine, chassis, etc manual.

I do not do the oil analysis myself, but many others do it and appear to get good results. For a baseline it could be a good idea.

As Sidewinder suggests, do not turn a shop loose without having a good idea of what you want and what they charge. X2 many Thousands of $,$$$.

Look at your batteries and clean any corrosion found. Also check battery level and add distilled water if required (flooded Lead Acid battery.)

Measure air pressure and decipher your tire dates. Note if there are any sidewall cracks.

These are a few things to start with.

Good Luck and congratulations on your purchase of a Mountain Aire Diesel Pusher MADP 4018.
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Since I have no history on my new to me coach..I think I will make an appointment and get caught up on the Maintenance.....( after which I will maintain it myself).. Two questions ...Expected cost? And is maintenance work something's I can wait for?? ( average time needed ) Recommended shop is about 2 hrs away..

Thanks in advance
I bought a used 1999 Gulfstream TourMaster 40 foot DP in 2002 with no records on service; I had a complete service done cost about $2200.00. Included all fluids, filters etc changed out, may have been overkill but I had peace of mind.
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #9

We just had the 24 month service at Newmar in April at a cost of $1900.00 and Freightliner was $550 including the generator. Newmar took 2 days and Freightliner we were out of there by 2 pm. We are not mechanically inclined so every April we travel to Nappanee and Gaffney to do our maintenance trip.

Larry and Cherry
2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
2013 Lincoln MKX

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #10

Speedjester,

As you can see from above posts the opportunity to save considerable cash is possible with DIY maintenance, if you are capable of doing the maintenance. If you need the latest Freightliner recommended service schedules per mileage/months with each individual maintenance item, I can provide to you. The maintenance schedule has changed since your chassis was born. What I will send will also include Freightliner explanation of recommended maintenance change for chassis built before 2007. If needed PM me your email.

Berry
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #11

We just completed the 2 day Camp Freightliner today and our coach will be serviced tomorrow here in Gaffney. As far as we're concerned it's the best two days of intense information we could get anywhere. The instructor is simply the best. From this point forward this is the only place we will come for service.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #12

Quote:
I will not dispute this as a wise strategy. However, if you are a decent gasser wrench, you will likely be OK with a DP. I have replaced an engine water pump, solenoids, trans service, oil change, filters, rebuilt air dryer, air filter, belts, chassis lube, coolant service, etc. I have never needed any more help or guidance than instructions from the web, and the helpful people on the forums.

One thing - the wrenches are bigger AND the spaces are tighter. I don't know how - it just is that way.

Get a good baseline, and prep for the next scheduled service.

Matt B
Old 05-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #13

I'm in the Orlando area.
I had talked to a place up in the Ocala area when I was shopping for a coach about a pre-purchase inspection. I didn't use them for that since the coach I bought wasn't in the area, but I liked the conversation I had with the owner.
Anyway I was up in the Ocala area for a week-end trip and had them do a service on my DSDP.
This is what the invoice says:

1) Full Service - Changed oil and filter, Checked belts, hoses, lights and wipers. Air up tires, lube chassis. Top off fluid levels. Replaced fuel filter with new.
$169.95
2) Check out for trip. Found water pump belt loose. Tightened belt and all OK at this time.
$89.95

The total was $345.51
I have only one fuel filter, so if you have two it could be more.
I was hoping for a little more interaction with the mechanic, but it didn't happen. I didn't push it. I did have a little discussion with them and they told me how much brakes I had left and other little tidbits like that.
It's a family owned shop and generally I liked them and felt that they were honest. I probably won't go out of my way to use them but if in the area I probably would.
If you want more info you can message me.
mbishop10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #14

Forgot to mention, the one fuel filter was $50.53 and $15.52 for shop supplies.
mbishop10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance