Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Major Disappointment

I need to cry in my beer a bit and get a piece of advice.

Today was our pickup day for our new coach, but the salesman called a couple of hours before and said there was a problem as the rig had been damaged.
Since we are only 30-40mins away we decided to run over and see the issue. Not sure if something fell on it, or they ran into something, or someone slammed it, but the door to the engine compartment door is cracked/busted as well as the bottom of the grill area is completely cracked through. The only thing holding it together is the diamond shield.

The damage seems to be cosmetic in nature. They said it would entail fiberglass/paint work versus a complete front cap replacement. They also said they would do the work there versus send it back to the factory.

Now, the dealer did the right thing and wanted to make us happy and gave us back our deposit and told you we could decide if we want it after they finish the repair. I was disappointed that there were 2 noticeable dents in the fridge and several scratches in the plank vinyl flooring that had not been addressed. They had the coach a couple of weeks - hadn't they done the PDI?

I asked it this was a "carfax" type event and they said no, as it is cosmetic.

It has left a bad taste in our months, and we are disappointed - but I do understand things happen and the dealer did try to make it right. Our last RV also had something happen (see a pattern here?) just before pickup and we accepted it anyway after repair and it never was 100% right.

We are wondering what to do. We placed this order in July. It has the specials and features we want. But maybe this is a sign that I should have bought a DP (Ventana) instead? Makes me think factory delivery is the way to go.....

Any advice? First world problem I know.
superman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #2

Bummer, if you accept after repair you will always know. If you do not accept then you need to wait another 5-6 months. A bitter pill to swallow for sure. I know that I would be ordering another coach maybe even from another dealer to make sure I get a new coach. It is one thing for you to bang the coach after pickup, totally another thing to buy a repaired coach.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #3

It does not make any difference what type of coach or drive train you have for that type of problem. At least the dealer let you know and gave you an option on the outside damage. What you do about that depends on you. I could keep the unit and be happy. My SO could not as any other issue would be blamed on the original damage.

As far as the PDI goes I don't think any dealer really does one before the customer sees the problems. If the customer sees something on the walk through with a dealer rep then it goes on the fix it punch list. If not then it never gets done. Part of that is laziness and part is the fact that anyone who has skills in decorating or cabinet making or flooring or any other craft used in constructing an RV can find many small things that could have been done better. More things will occur as the unit is used. That translates to dealer inspectors being way more fussy than most users so much more time and money would be spent if the dealer had a good inspector go over the unit. It is much more cost effective to let the customer go over it and make their punch list which will usually be significantly shorter thus cheaper to take care of.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #4

I would only accept it if the price were adjusted accordingly. I have never had vehicle bodywork ever look right as it aged. So down the road if you resell you might be taking a loss.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
I would only accept it if the price were adjusted accordingly. I have never had vehicle bodywork ever look right as it aged. So down the road if you resell you might be taking a loss.
This echos our thoughts, and experience with bodywork on cars. That area will likely be weakened forever and it is where the hood latches closed. It might only take one slam to re-crack it.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Unfortunately I would agree with the people who say reject it and start the process over again, this time with factory delivery. Our Canyon Star's hood needed to be slammed to be closed, I could easily imaging a crack redeveloping in your situation. Fortunately you're dealer is doing the right thing by disclosing the damage and offering you a full refund.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Walk away!! Fast
Ua747captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I would order a new one and possibly do a factory pick-up. You will always wonder if there isn't additional damage. You waited this long - might as well get a history free coach.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
I need to cry in my beer a bit and get a piece of advice.

Today was our pickup day for our new coach, but the salesman called a couple of hours before and said there was a problem as the rig had been damaged.
Since we are only 30-40mins away we decided to run over and see the issue. Not sure if something fell on it, or they ran into something, or someone slammed it, but the door to the engine compartment door is cracked/busted as well as the bottom of the grill area is completely cracked through. The only thing holding it together is the diamond shield.

The damage seems to be cosmetic in nature. They said it would entail fiberglass/paint work versus a complete front cap replacement. They also said they would do the work there versus send it back to the factory.

Now, the dealer did the right thing and wanted to make us happy and gave us back our deposit and told you we could decide if we want it after they finish the repair. I was disappointed that there were 2 noticeable dents in the fridge and several scratches in the plank vinyl flooring that had not been addressed. They had the coach a couple of weeks - hadn't they done the PDI?

I asked it this was a "carfax" type event and they said no, as it is cosmetic.

It has left a bad taste in our months, and we are disappointed - but I do understand things happen and the dealer did try to make it right. Our last RV also had something happen (see a pattern here?) just before pickup and we accepted it anyway after repair and it never was 100% right.

We are wondering what to do. We placed this order in July. It has the specials and features we want. But maybe this is a sign that I should have bought a DP (Ventana) instead? Makes me think factory delivery is the way to go.....

Any advice? First world problem I know.
Is Newmar aware of situation? When they said it was damaged, was it during the transportation from Newmar or movement on their lot. Newmar arranges transportation to dealer. Personally, unless they were providing deep discount (which they will do to sell if you decline) and provided additional warranty I would pass. I totally understand the excitement of finally getting your unit, but its more important to get exactly what you wanted without worrying about it being damaged before you even get it. If you had not, reach out to Newmar to ensure they are aware. They will make it right. Good Luck!!
Old 10-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Personally, I’d start over. And with at least at Ventana LE. We ordered a Canyon Star built to our specs but after a lot of advice, purchased a Ventana LE. Best decision we made (but should have moved up to a Dutch Star at that time instead of waiting two years).
Old 10-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by micbob4 View Post
Is Newmar aware of situation? When they said it was damaged, was it during the transportation from Newmar or movement on their lot. Newmar arranges transportation to dealer. Personally, unless they were providing deep discount (which they will do to sell if you decline) and provided additional warranty I would pass. I totally understand the excitement of finally getting your unit, but its more important to get exactly what you wanted without worrying about it being damaged before you even get it. If you had not, reach out to Newmar to ensure they are aware. They will make it right. Good Luck!!
Per dealer, damaged after it arrived.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:56 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoneonit View Post
Personally, I’d start over. And with at least at Ventana LE. We ordered a Canyon Star built to our specs but after a lot of advice, purchased a Ventana LE. Best decision we made (but should have moved up to a Dutch Star at that time instead of waiting two years).
Not unlike my current thinking - it is only money right? I was set to buy a DP, but then we bought a port home and suddenly we were only going to part time 2-3 months at a time so I thought a CS would suffice....now I just need to convince the DW......LOL.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #13

Sounds to me that you have made up your mind. Good luck with the new purchase. Steve
Old 10-15-2018, 09:38 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've always bought everything I've owned, both cars and RV's, off the lot. The process of ordering the coach this time has made me freaking crazy. When you buy off the lot, the coach is there, your trade in is immediate, financing is done in minutes, and the coach is perfect and ready to go. This was our first order and I've lost sleep at night, imagining my new coach getting in a crash between Indiana and California. These are all things I shouldn't worry about......but being an anal twit...I do.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote