Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2023, 03:44 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Major road accident, needed a tow, need your advice

Hi everyone, I'd like your thoughts on how to handle this situation, please.

Yesterday whilst travelling southbound on I75 headed into Atlanta, a semi blew a tire. The tire was ejected under the car in front of me, and under my rig. It tore off something long and cylindrical from my Canyon Star. I saw it in my rear view mirror, vertical in the air behind me, with the truck tire wrapped around it. No kidding. Fortunately, there was no one in the lane and it spun harmlessly. Everyone drove around it thereafter. I noticed that my RPMs had no effect on my speed, and I got off onto the shoulder. I figured that long cylindrical thing was my muffler from the RV or maybe my towed. Nope, it was the rear drive shaft from the RV.

I called my insurance company (GEICO). They tell me I have to find a place that can fix my rig, then they'll help me find a towing company. After 15 minutes, I find a Ford Dealer and they say, oh yeah, we can fix that.

I call GEICO back and let them know I'm ready for that tow. After an hour they couldn't find a company that would tow a class A RV. They said I should try and they gave me the names of companies they had already tried. Good luck the guy said. We also have AAA RV coverage. While my wife was trying to get someone from AAA on the phone, I found a company that would tow it. They said they'd be there in three hours or so.

Three hours later, the guy shows up. He is super careful and clearly knows what he is doing. He tells me everything he is doing and in my novice opinion, does a good job. He drives slowly and says he is doing that so the rig doesn't bounce and scrape.

So here I sit boondocking at the Ford Dealer waiting for Service to open tomorrow.

I need a rear drive shaft and probably that center bearing thing that the front and rear drive shaft connect to. The yoke on the rear diff looks good - the caps broke away. It tore off the side pipe to the muffler, as well. I don't see any other damage to the tires or anything else under there.

So that's my story. I'd sure love to hear some advice from those of you whose rig has eaten a gator in the road before. I am assuming drive shafts are a common part, being that F53 chassis is a really common chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-03-25 at 14.20.03.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	388935   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-03-25 at 14.20.02.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	388936  

ericllucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2023, 03:51 PM   #2

Did you happen to pick up the old driveline for measurement purposes if needed? Also if it is not bent it could possibly get you down the road.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:57 PM   #3

Wow. Not easy to tear off a driveshaft. Hopefully no other damage.
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi - I asked the Georgia State Trooper if I could get the old driveshaft, he said no, it was over a quarter mile back and he said it was twisted / bent up pretty bad. He said they got it off the road and because of the volume of debris from the multiple vehicles that were involved in the incident, a truck was coming out to pick up everything. He said a car behind me went over it. He turned around and pointed at the car, alongside the road with its four-way flashers on. Sigh. I feel bad about that. In front of me a few hundred yards was the car that went over the tire originally, alongside the road. The State trooper said this was a bad one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Did you happen to pick up the old driveline for measurement purposes if needed? Also if it is not bent it could possibly get you down the road.
Old 03-26-2023, 04:05 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
My towed took a hit on the driver's side bumper, light assembly, etc. I hope that the transmission didn't get damaged. It takes a lot to torque off a drive shaft and I hope that torque didn't damage the transmission. The transmission wasn't making any strange noises while I was getting off the road. That has nothing to do, of course, with what it might do once we get a shaft back on and put it under load. Finger's crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
Wow. Not easy to tear off a driveshaft. Hopefully no other damage.
Old 03-26-2023, 04:10 PM   #6

I'd like to follow this one. Thank you.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:11 PM   #7

I feel sorry for your troubles. That was a bad episode you went through and just fortunate no one was hurt. Hopefully the semi truck stopped also, in case of legal issues.
Hopefully the Ford dealer can get you back on the road and there was no other damage. I'm not sure they keep anything like that in stock, but hopefully they can get it somewhere in Atlanta.
Good luck on a speedy and good repair,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:19 PM   #8

Nearly the same thing happened to me, near Dalton. Luckily my driveshaft was only bent, and not destroyed. Happened right near an exit. Driveshaft shop about 1/2 mile away. Drove (slowly - shaking) there. Back on the road in a few hours with a new driveshaft.

Mine wasn't a stock Ford piece. Winnebago altered my wheelbase and modified the driveshaft. Folks at the dealer ought to be able to figure out what you need. Should have a driveshaft shop that they work with.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:36 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks. I am hoping this doesn't turn out to be a big deal. Thanks for the positive words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Nearly the same thing happened to me, near Dalton. Luckily my driveshaft was only bent, and not destroyed. Happened right near an exit. Driveshaft shop about 1/2 mile away. Drove (slowly - shaking) there. Back on the road in a few hours with a new driveshaft.

Mine wasn't a stock Ford piece. Winnebago altered my wheelbase and modified the driveshaft. Folks at the dealer ought to be able to figure out what you need. Should have a driveshaft shop that they work with.
Old 03-26-2023, 04:53 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi - No the truck didn't stop as far I know. The trooper said no one was hurt - that was what I was worried about - especially after seeing that driveshaft wrapped in a tire vertical in the air behind me. Sheesh, that could have been bad. Thanks for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
I feel sorry for your troubles. That was a bad episode you went through and just fortunate no one was hurt. Hopefully the semi truck stopped also, in case of legal issues.
Hopefully the Ford dealer can get you back on the road and there was no other damage. I'm not sure they keep anything like that in stock, but hopefully they can get it somewhere in Atlanta.
Good luck on a speedy and good repair,
Old 03-26-2023, 05:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Oh there was something I learned about towing an RV. The towing company needed to see a picture of the front side of my RV before they would commit to towing it. Evidently some Class A RVs have a long distance from the nose to the front axle and not every wrecker can reach that far back to get under the axle. Fortunately, the distance on my Canyon Star is really short (according to the tow truck driver) and it was easy to hook up. I didn't know that.
Old 03-26-2023, 06:32 PM   #12

With a couple of measurements starting from the back of the transmission there are driveshaft shops that can make new shafts from scratch
Don’t get stuck at the dealer waiting for a new OEM drive shaft to come from the factory
Drive line shops build what you need in a day
PM me if you need additional info
Good luck
Old 03-27-2023, 07:46 AM   #13

Your center carrier bearing and mount is toast. It looks like the yolk on your differential is toast.

Your front drive shaft may have been damaged as well.

I am not trying to be a pessimist - it can all be fixed, but it will take more than a few days.

Look at it this way - at least the breakaway driveshaft did not dig into the pavement and come up and damage the floor of your coach.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:07 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
On the plus side for the tow truck driver, at least he didn't have to disconnect the drive shaft in order to tow it. LOL Yes the front axles on a Class A Diesel Pusher sits a lot further back. I agree that the carrier bearing looks pretty damaged as well. I did find it interesting that the insurance company said you had to find a place to have it fixed. Luckily the Ford dealership was willing to work on motorhomes. We've had friends who had to drive 200+ miles for warranty work because none of the local dealerships won't work on them.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, tow