Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2023, 03:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericllucas View Post
Oh there was something I learned about towing an RV. The towing company needed to see a picture of the front side of my RV before they would commit to towing it. Evidently some Class A RVs have a long distance from the nose to the front axle and not every wrecker can reach that far back to get under the axle. Fortunately, the distance on my Canyon Star is really short (according to the tow truck driver) and it was easy to hook up. I didn't know that.
A couple years ago I read some advice that said to keep a sheet of coach measurements handy, for just this case. That made sense to me. The sheet for my coach is below, as an example.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Information for Tow Dispatcher.pdf (37.6 KB, 24 views)
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2023, 03:29 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
O.P.
In your 1st picture, it looks like the exhaust pipe took a hit and is split.
An easy job to fix with a MIG or torch, but it needs to be addressed.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:27 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
A couple years ago I read some advice that said to keep a sheet of coach measurements handy, for just this case. That made sense to me. The sheet for my coach is below, as an example.
Good thought. Are thesse measurement listed somewhere or do we crawl under with a tape?
DriverRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:16 PM   #18
NXR

I'm astonished that the toad wasn't taken out by the driveshaft. Since the toad had some damage, do you have any idea how the driveshaft exited from under the motorhome? I was thinking maybe it flew out the side but how it could miss hitting any tires is beyond me.

Any idea how fast you were going? You obviously had enough speed to coast to the side of the road.

Ray
Old 03-28-2023, 03:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimprig1979 View Post
Good thought. Are thesse measurement listed somewhere or do we crawl under with a tape?
I measured "Distance from Front Bumper to Steer Axle" with a tape measure and the rest I lifted from the brochure for my coach or from Ford's online chassis info.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:18 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Hi - Looking at the video, I had hit the brakes and was going exactly 54 when I went over the tire. So based on the long experience of the man who helped me get the new driveshaft on the RV, he said that what I saw in the air behind me was most likely the exhaust tail pipe, not the driveshaft. He said the driveshaft likely tore away and went sideways and rolled down the highway. That means they definitely went under the driver side tires. I checked the tires and I have gouging on the driver side tires, and will be replacing one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I'm astonished that the toad wasn't taken out by the driveshaft. Since the toad had some damage, do you have any idea how the driveshaft exited from under the motorhome? I was thinking maybe it flew out the side but how it could miss hitting any tires is beyond me.

Any idea how fast you were going? You obviously had enough speed to coast to the side of the road.

Ray
ericllucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:25 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Hi -

You will need a measuring tape for measurement number two below. You will need dial calipers or some other very precise device for measuring distances to a thousandth of an inch for the others.

We measured:

1) The diameter of the splined shaft at the front of the third drive shaft 1.550"
2) The distance from the end of the splined shaft to the middle of the yoke of the differential - the centerline of the universal joint 63"
3) The width of the universal joint on the yoke 4.950"
4) The number of teeth on the spline on the shaft at the front of the drive shaft 24

The guy created a new Drive Shaft from those dimensions. The spline got banged up when the original drive shaft was ejected - it left at an angle and left the splines banged up. We had to replace the bearing assembly that the second and third drive shaft are connected to, so we just took the second drive shaft that had the splined shaft to the drive shaft guy so he could clean it up and make sure it fit perfectly to the third drive shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimprig1979 View Post
Old 03-28-2023, 02:27 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
The exhaust pipe took a beating. The muffler itself got punched like a boxer's punching bag. It all needs to be replaced. The tail pipe is completely gone. I imagine it got swirled around and ejected under the driver side tires, based on the marks on the inside of the underside of the RV and the gouges on the driver side inner dual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
O.P.
In your 1st picture, it looks like the exhaust pipe took a hit and is split.
An easy job to fix with a MIG or torch, but it needs to be addressed.

Mike in Colorado
Old 03-28-2023, 02:33 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Hey, that's a great idea. Thanks for sharing this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Old 03-28-2023, 02:38 PM   #24

Glad to hear no one was hurt. It could have been much worse. Best of luck DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericllucas View Post
they definitely went under the driver side tires. I checked the tires and I have gouging on the driver side tires, and will be replacing one of them.
Later on you mention it's the inner dual.

Unless the tires are fairly new with very little wear, it's generally recommended that you replace BOTH tires on a dual axle end at the same time if you need to replace one of them.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:47 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Everyone!

I got parked at home at 1AM Eastern last night and so I can bring closure to the story for everyone.

Monday morning at 0730 I was there when the Ford Dealer opened their doors. The nice lady said "can I help you?". Yes ma'am, I sure am happy to see you today. I explained the situation and she said using her best Southern Charm and manners "We don't work on RVs because none of our mechanics will work on the ground. There is nothing we can do for you. Have a nice day". I said, wait now, you can't help me because your men won't lie on the ground and lift up a drive shaft? She shook her head no. I smiled and said you aren't joking, are you? She continued shaking her head. She said we can't help you. I said do you know anyone who can? She continued shaking her head. I said a person I spoke to on Saturday said that you work on RVs all the time, they are here all the time. She said, that was a salesman, you can't trust what they say. I said a representative of your company encouraged me to bring the RV here, assuring me that you DO work on RVs all the time and something as simple as a driveshaft replacement is simple for your team. She shook her head no and said we can't help you. I turned and walked out.

So, I found a guy in Marietta who can make a driveshaft, but he is a one man shop and couldn't drive up and install it. He didn't recommend any of the other drive shaft shops in the area for various reasons. I said - if I find someone who can install it, can you make it? Yes.

So I started calling around and found a Mobile Truck and RV Service company. Let's call him Anthony because, well, that is his name. I explained my situation and he calmly said, yeah, I can fix that. I gave him the name of the Drive Shaft Guy (Russell) and he made a call to find out what measurements are needed.

Anthony drove to my location, crawled underneath, made an inspection, took measurements, and watched the video of where I drove over the tire. Then he drove out to that place in the highway to see if he could find the driveshaft. Nope, likely some scrapper picked it up. He called in the measurements to Russell the drive shaft guy.

Anthony came back and replaced the carrier bearing. While he was replacing it, Russell called and said the driveshaft was ready. Imagine my surprise - two or so hours after getting the measurements, the drive shaft was ready.

Anthony drove over, got the drive shaft, and he and I installed it.

I left Cartersville, GA at 3PM yesterday. I noticed that when I got up to 65 MPG, I had a purring vibration proportional to road speed. I am assuming it is related to that chunk of rubber missing from the driver's side inside dual that took a beating from the muffler tail pipe, I assume. There are some pieces of tread missing on that tire as well. I'll be replacing that tire.

So, I drove through Atlanta Traffic, to the delight of many I have no doubt, at 60 mph. I normally get around 500 miles to a tank of gas driving at 65 to 70 mph, but at 60 mph, I can get 576 miles. Things seem to come at you at a more reasonable rate at 60 mph if I'm honest. Food for thought.

Anyway, everything ran fine at 60 mph. Lots of inexplicable traffic jams on I75 south to North Florida, but patience is the order of the day and I got home at 0100 safe and sound.

Boy did I learn a lot. This is a class I don't want to take again. I appreciate everyone's help here. I'm smarter for the next time something happens.

So today I've been calling around to find tires and a new muffler. Apparently, 255/80R22.5 only come in Michelin at about $800 or so each :-) Oh boy!
Old 03-28-2023, 02:54 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Hi - Yeah, I knew that manufacturers recommend replacing tires after six years. Mine are seven and three months old. I'm pricing out replacing all six at this point. May as well. Bad things happen when you have an odd number of good tires under your rig :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
Later on you mention it's the inner dual.

Unless the tires are fairly new with very little wear, it's generally recommended that you replace BOTH tires on a dual axle end at the same time if you need to replace one of them.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:04 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since you're planning replacing all 6 tires, you should look at other brands, like Toyo, etc. They will be a slightly different size, but will fit and be less expensive. If you aren't familiar with this, you should search on this site for the alternatives.

Sent from my SM-A515U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, tow