Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #1

Manual for CD?

We've been through the suitcase of manuals for the 2011 Ventana and DH has been reading through the chassis manual but we can't find anything about using the Comfort Drive system. Is there a manual and if so, is it online somewhere?
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
No, there's no manual. The only control is the effort knob, if you have it. Turn it to what's comfortable for you and leave it.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #3

Oh good! Thanks!

You've saved me hours of Googling.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #4

Even better, treat the efforts control like a radio volume knob. Don't leave it alone but set it to where it's comfortable right now. You might want it heavier in the morning but lighter in the afternoon. You might want it heavier in 5-lane-wide traffic but lighter when you have the interstate all to yourself. You might want it lighter in calm wind but heavier in gusty wind.......... or maybe the other way around. You might want it lighter when you're sitting back in the seat and relaxed but heavier when you're leaning forward and driving with your elbows to stretch the kinks out of your back. Oh, wait a minute. Strike that. Nobody drives with their elbows, do they? We ALL stop, get out, and walk around a bit. Right???

On the other hand, you might find one place that is absolutely perfect for you and never change it again........ and that's okay, too.

The point is that it's YOUR control. Set it where you want it, when you want it, and thank Barney and Barbara Barnett for causing it to exist.

<Lawyer rant on>
By the way, I am working on a set of demonstration instructions but am having lawyer problems. "What would happen if they had an accident while changing lanes because we told them to in the instructions ????? (insert shocked lawyer face here)." <Lawyer rant off>

I would love for this thread to continue with the rest of you sharing how you use the efforts control. You might be the one who discovered the really slick secret thing.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:56 AM   #5

Come on, people. Don't let me be a thread killer, here !!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just to bring everyone up to date here are a few threads on COMFORT DRIVE over the past few months:
Love my CD

COMFORT DRIVE

Newmar comfort drive

COMFORT DRIVE DIFFERENCE

As you can see Ken is always here for your questions.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #7

I'll be the thread killer (I'm used to it )!

Thanks for the information & links to other CD threads. There are some "testimonials" on You Tube and Newmar has a vid up on their site so between the reading & watching, I think we at least semi-understand CD. I think we'll get a chance to really try it out on Thursday!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #8

I change the dial setting on a regular basis. I like to set it on the lowest setting while parking, increase it to 1 1/2 to 2 whole driving in town and smooth highways with no or very little wind. I found that I would be "chasing" the steering on windier days, or asphalt roads with a lot of truck wear leaving ruts in the road. I will increase to 2 1/2 to 3 in these conditions, and find I don't over correct as much when I can feel the road better. It's a great product!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use 3 1/2 most of the time except for when I am parking then I use a lower setting. What I really enjoy is the self centering feature, it makes parking your rig a snap.

Recently I was driving in PA where there are some pretty good sweeping turns in the mountain areas and using the higher setting made the turns really nice and easy.

Look in your Freightliner book for info on the comfort drive settings. I have heard they refer to it as "Column Drive".

Comfort drive is the real deal for sure.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual