Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #1

Manual slide retraction Baystar 2903

I would like to carry the tools to retract my slides manually when all else fails.
What do I need to have in my tool box and how to do it, please?
Thanks, Don
donnickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi donnickerson,
Have never seen a Bay Star slide. However, the following is based on Newmar consistently building the slide out the same way for decades. The tools needed depending on the method used are:
1. 1 1/2" crows foot
2. ratchet to insert into crows foot
3. 4' or longer extension bar that goes over the ratchet handle. This will provide leverage needed to loosen the Transtorque bushing.
4. If the problem is with one of the larger slides, several large fellow campers and a case of cold beer.
5. 5/8" socket
6. Screw Gun or ratchet for the socket.

These methods assume the motor will not move the slide. The motor is rarely the failure point. For me, I'd provide a portable 12 VDC power to the motor via a couple of home made leads. Never had a slide fail to move when the motor is provided the power directly. However, using this method one must ensure the slide moves in the correct direction when power is applied. If not, reverse the leads. One must also stop the slide at the appropriate time. All auto safety features are disabled.

Do not disassemble the transtorque busing, just loosen it. When it is time to retighten the bushing I think the correct torque is 175 ft lbs. However lacking a torque wrench, snug the bushing until the slide will move. Then snug about 1/4 turn more (no more).

How to Manually Retract a Slideout

Overview

This article provides step-by-step instructions for manually retracting a Slideout when it will not move.​​
Manual Retraction - Method 1

This will be the hardest of the two options for Slideout manual retraction, as it requires assistance from several people as noted below. Follow the steps to retract the Slideout manually.
Step 1

Locate the strap that secures the rubber boot on the outside of the motor. Remove the strap, and pull off the rubber boot, removing it from the motor.
Rubber boot on motor

Step 2

Remove the four screws from the brake under the rubber boot.
Slideout motor brake

Removed Slideout brake

Step 3

Loosen the Trantorque Bushing at the Slideout Motor. This will allow the Slideout to move in and out freely.
Trantorque bushing

Step 4

Now the room can be pushed in manually. On a Flat Floor Slideout, you will need the assistance of four to six people to push the Slideout up the ramp onto the floor. However, the Bedroom, Wardrobe, and Kitchen Slideouts should be easier to manually retract due to the lack of a ramp.
Step 5

After the Slideout has been pushed in, tighten the trantorque bushing to 175 FT Lbs. Reinstall the brake on the motor.
Manual Retraction - Method 2

Follow the steps to manually retract the Slideout using the gear reduction nut.
Step 1

Locate the strap that secures the rubber boot on the outside of the motor. Remove the strap, and pull off the rubber boot, removing it from the motor.
Rubber boot on motor

Step 2

Remove the four screws from the brake under the rubber boot.
Slideout motor brake

Removed Slideout brake

Step 3

After the brake is removed, use a screw gun or a ratchet with a 5/8" socket, and turn the gear reduction nut to retract the Slideout.
Screw guns are recommended due to the major reduction in the gears. It will take many revolutions of the gear reduction nut to retract the Slideout.
Step 4

After the Slideout is fully retracted, reinstall the brake.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are two torque values that will be use when retighten 125 & 145 the slide spec's in QT's 1 & 2 will have that information.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ho 007,
In my post, method 1 step 5 mentions 175 ft lbs of torque. Your post mentions another value. Do you know which is correct? Maybe there are different torque values based on the size of the slide? My post is based on Newmar documentation.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gary page # 5 and # 8 shows torque for different size shafts.
Where did you find 175?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Newgle documents.

You answered my question by mentioning shaft size. Since most will not have a torque wrench the backup plan I mentioned has always worked well for me.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #7

Thanks Gary. This is just something that I felt I needed to explore just in case of an emergency. I am handy and always carry tools (not that large). I will explore the position of the motor controllers and access to them and the connectors to size up the project of jumper wiring the motors. I am having trouble printing your instructions, where did you get them? Thanks again, Don
donnickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #8

You could carry a "Wide Load" banner for the front and rear.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi donnickerson,
The instructions came from Newgle. Once you log in, go to:
Slideouts
Slideout Functional And Technical Information
Newmar Slideout Innovations
Relevant Items And Articles
How To Manually Retract A Slideout
Old 09-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #10

For what its worth, I was looking over my Itasca and find that it has a winch that will pull in my slide!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, slide